I'm I the only one that got hit by a sour welcome?

Emilia

Featured Posts

'local' including those who cc enough to satisfy CaRT but appear in the same patch as you enough to get to know them over 5 years.

There's plenty of them round my way

excuses for what? I don't care if she's for real or not

A good point, to be honest, for all I know most people on here could be fake! I'm blissfully happy to think otherwise though.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Emilia, I'm guessing it must be odd to be analysed in such minutiae on a boat forum! I hope you find a solution to your problem, it dose seem that it's not a common found issue amongst us.

she talks about ccing, so not local boaters. she talks about five years, so not newbies. she has a picture of wide open water as her avatar.

she has not engaged in the debate that she started.

stop looking for excuses.

really? then why are you here? ahh, you introduced the 'cc issue', which indicates a much bigger issue. you dont like cc'rs do you?

because it's - or could be - an interesting discussion

no, you introduced it in the 1st post i'm quoting.

I'm explaining to you how it's possible for a ccer to know 'local' people - 'local' being an area big enough to satisfy CaRT but small enough to bump into the same people often.

I'm speaking from my experience here

As for the last bit of your post - that's trolling

• Greenie 1

really, look at the OP..

is there anything that indicates that she has a boat? That she lives on that boat? That she knows the canals that she pretends to have traveled on?

She is such a bad troll, she doesn't even bite....

you're a worse troll though - fancy trying 'you dont like ccers' on me - lol !

big fail luct

• Greenie 1

not as bored as you.... we got here before, and have a reason to be here...

not as bored as you.... we got here before, and have a reason to be here...

The OP mentions they think a lot of boaters are grumpy, and it leads to an 18pager. Just a little surprising, tis all...;-)

The OP mentions they think a lot of boaters are grumpy, and it leads to an 18pager. Just a little surprising, tis all...;-)

Most of it is a meta-discussion. Pontification about the original post and poster, along with a lot of criticism of the people who posted their opinions in the thread. All very circular.

MtB

now i'm confused

Much of the latter part of thread comprises two types of post. Posters expressing their opinion that the OP was a trolling post or not, and more posters condemning those posters who thought it was trolling.

Reminds me of that book Lord of the Flies here sometimes.

MtB

Maybe she's very timid and had been working up the courage to make her post and was a bit put off by the 1st response being a tw***sh correction of her terminology.

The "twattish" correction of her terminology was a tongue in cheek response to what was, to me, a blatantly obvious troll/wind-up/fisher/whatever you want to call it OP. As the tread has gone on to prove pretty much I'd say (in my opinion of course).

Of course those with a parish council/flower arranging mentality might continue to look for excuses as to why this might not be the case and couldn't possible believe that people might come on a forum with the sole intention of being mischievous.

I've seen it too many times on other forums and it sticks out a mile, hence my reply in post #2. I wouldn't be such a "twat" to reply something like that to someone who was a genuine person upset with unfriendly people on the cut.

well here's a tip for you, think a bit before you post next time and maybe you wont look such a prize prat

Just seen this. Why do I look a 'prat'? As the thread has gone on it has become EVEN MORE obvious that the OP is on the wind up.

"sharpens stick at both ends" - reminds me of the Monty Python sketch: "What about a pointed stick?!"

Anyway, all this talk of trolls reminds me that an idea I had for our boat name which I still find cute - it is Troll's Castle. I just made it up. It's not on Jim Shead's list as a name - someone might like to use it?

We have decided on another name and slowly working out how to make the sign (and that's a name no-one else has :) )

Below is a example of an obvious wind up/trolling/fishing. I'm about to knock this up during a 5 min tea break at work with little thought.

"Hi, new member here, I've been lurking for a while but never posted. I'm hoping to buy my first boat soon and have been out at brokerages looking at lots. I'm going to be based on the K&A at the western end hopefully. This weekend just gone I've been out on the towpath chatting to some liveaboards about moorings. I got mixed responses from everyone I spoke to, so I'm hoping to get some clearer answers on here.

One boater I spoke to said that I didnt need to get a constant cruisers licence if I bid on a really cheap mooring on one of the northern canals. Apparently they are cheap enough up there to make it worth while as it would mean I wouldn't have to move around as much. Can anyone tell me where I can find these moorings adverised, and has anyone else done this?".

Now that to me would immediately scream WIND-UP to me.

How many people would fall for it and give sensible well intentioned replys, or get into a debate about bridge hopping, ghost moorings etc? Before you know it all the usual suspects would be arguing amongst themselves about the same old things. Meanwhile the OP, having popped back on and posted the odd "thanks for the replies", is sat at home laughing their head off that so many people have fallen for it.

In my opinion that is what has happened on here, hence my piss taking reply straight away.

Edited by junior

The problem with that tho, is it could be perfectly valid, yet most would scream troll.

You're required to have a home mooring, you're not required to be on that home mooring, you're not required to have that home mooring on the canal that you're on, so why the hell not?