par max water pump kaput

Wil

Featured Posts

My Par Max 2.9 stopped working today.

It spluttered for a minute or two and now wont pump anything. The motor does however continue to chug away and the unit vibrates as much as it used to. There is just no suction created.

I opened it up and couldnt see anything wrong, but neither could I see how the thing was meant to work!

Does anyone have an idea of what might have gone wrong?

Cheers

Will

If an impeller type pump the impeller has come adrift from the drive shaft or the fins have disintegrated.

Time to take it apart and have a look. wink.png

The Par Max is a multi-diaphragm. I believe repair kits are available and some folk on here have successfully repaired such pumps, but others of us have failed miserably and found that buying a new pump was much easier. The problem for me was getting the pump body to seal up again. It is at least an easy swap as it has quick release connectors.

O

If you're buying a replacement yhink about changing to a Johnson, much better imo...

Or a ParMax 4..... Bigger motor and pump means less runtime so it all runs cooler and no lack of flow or pressure when someone fills the kettle and someone else is in the shower!

Cheers

Gareth

I think the ports are the same so you should be able to just use the old ones....it's a bit bigger diameter so if your pipework isn't flexible that might be a problem....it also has a slightly higher current draw which might be a problem if the wiring is borderline.

Cheers

Gareth

Uxbridge boat centre might be worth a call....I'm in the midlands!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add

Make sure whatever pump you get it's got the same cut out pressure as the original one.....ParMax' can be either 25psi or 40psi....40psi might be a bit high if you have a calorifier

Edited by frangar

I don't have a calorifier.

Just taps, shower, and a morco boiler. Reckon 40psi is ok?

I actually ordered the 40 psi one yesterday so would need to amend the order 1st thing in the morning if it's not!

I'm afraid I've not got any real experience of morcos...the only thing I would say is that it's quite a jump from 25 to 40 psi....might be worth keeping an eye on joints and pipework just in case the extra pressure puts strain on any weak points.

Cheers

Gareth