Wide-Beam Design Project

Featured Posts

Dean's ideas were obviously tongue in cheek, but if money was no object you could achieve something similar. Working barges and tugs on the continent often have a hydraulically operated wheelhouse - low enough normally to clear the bridges, but then lifted to see over the cargo. I'm not sure what this would achieve though for a residential craft - just lifting it higher when it is moored leaves an unused space below. I remember seeing a design for one that did indeed widen hydraulically, but again I can't see the application for a converted craft. In the extended state it is higher or wider, which is fine for improved vision or carrying more bulk freight, but the void cannot be used for anything else of a permanent nature.

The working barges on the A&C do this, when there's no cargo they need to lower them to get under a few bridges. On a leisure boat, a few wheelhouses have the roof on hydraulics, so you just drop the windows and then lower the roof. Ofcourse the bridges are lower on smaller non-commercial canals and a full wheelhouse that can be lowered will still be too high and see out off.

If it works on a motorhome, then why not on a barge? I see what you mean by your other points.. although a folding up/down side would create a beautiful connection between the interior and outside.. and an easily accessible opening in to the barge...

Remember boats tend to underwater by about 2-4 foot. Having a side opening under the water level would be hard if not impossible to keep watertight. Broad boats had large sliding roofs which is quiet nice.

I watched it being built it is now supposed to be at Mercia marina I didnt like the bow at all it was straight up and down designed for maximum space. Their was no uplift on the baseplate at the bow dont know what it would have sailed like in rough water on the Trent. The rest of the boat was Johnies Brigatine. Both he and a lady called Lesley designed it very pretty

Peter

Love that ducati and Esse stove shocking Italian electrics!!

Peter

That's what I like about it. The straight up and down. We are looking at getting one built but I, we, would like it to handle. Maybe a bit more of the Brigantine is in order.

I've sorted the spag electrics now. What pic of the Esse?

I can appreciate the lines on this boat, but can somebody tell me why so many canal boats go for the small round windows? surely you want to get more light inside to make it feel bigger and a nicer place to live..

Looks better, more security, harder to look in. Remember canal boats are usually on a towpath or a marina, you may want light but you don't want to be on show.

That's what I like about it. The straight up and down. We are looking at getting one built but I, we, would like it to handle. Maybe a bit more of the Brigantine is in order.

Have any more photos or links regarding? Would like too see a full boat! My bow is straight up/down!

Looks better, more security, harder to look in. Remember canal boats are usually on a towpath or a marina, you may want light but you don't want to be on show.

Have any more photos or links regarding? Would like too see a full boat! My bow is straight up/down![/quote

Pm sent

Welcome to the forum. I like the furniture!

I agree that a boat, like a house but much more so, needs to look good on both the inside and the outside, if not in any way linked other than in the physical means of the space each other takes up.

This is why I like my boat, it's not a "wide beam", it's a replica dutch barge in the luxemotor style 50x12ft.

Not quite sure where the boundary's are or what the definitions are, but I certainly like the look of your boat and boats like it a lot, all be it I would call its a 'dutch style widebeam' , like I call emilyanne a 'dutch style (steam) narrowboat' rather than it being a replica of anything which I done feel she is. Shes unique to what she is!

Will follow your posts with interest anyway Adam!

Daniel

After the pic of the man with the big fish! there it was a esse stove on its side very nice :)

Peter

• 2 months later...

tumblr_n3eqr7nSMM1s795vao1_500.jpg

Hi there, a bit longer than planned but here we go. I have finally uploaded pictures of the design development on to a blog http://thecanalboatproject.tumblr.com/ please take a look I would really appreciate feedback on the design.

The most recent pictures show a 1/24th scale (sketch) model, which is why it lacks some detail. I am currently about to start the photorealistic 1/12th scale model so it is a good time for any input you guys might have for the design or model..

Some details:

Aimed at leisure and boating holiday companies, as an apartment canal boat. Featuring an innovative sliding canopy which includes retracting hull sides that brings the inside visually closer to the water. A diesel electric hybrid system (serial) with electric motor in the aft deck and and diesel generator in the fore deck, combined with a large battery pack that provides 800Ah at 48V allowing many hours of silent cruising and days of of mooring activity. Additional power is also gained from solar panels on the roof. The one way windows give fabulous views of the canal without loss of privacy and hide the framework behind them. Fabricated steel hull and superstructure with prefabricated interior panels and a wooden deck. Designed with a simple and functional aesthetic that keeps the cost down whilst offering a luxurious experience.

46'x 12'

6'11" Air Draught

2'3" Draught

Nice start,

If you want it to be a practical canal boat, you don't want any corners, so round of the bow corners, and make the stern "corners" rounder too, after 60.000 locks, and sometimes going stern first into locks I know what I would like to see on my boat.

the "hole" in the after deck, might need some rails, so you don't fall down there.

Ideally I'd prefer rounder corners too, but having said that I've never had a problem reversing into locks or reversing through narrow bridgeholes.

Despite what the majority on this forum will say, after living on the boat for 9 years and taking it across the country, I've never actually found the corners to be a problem. Often people are only too eager to give advice on things of which they have no first hand experience.

black-rose-wide-beam-2.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Blackrose, you don't mean me, when saying no first hand experience, I hope, I have 40 years experience on a boat with corners, and Dalsland's Canal

I meant anyone who likes to give advice without first-hand experience. If that's not you then I didn't mean you.

I do like the overall concept, and find boats like this, and phoenix 58, et al, which bend the rules and step outside the mould very interesting.

- I like the open space slow gunnel, assuming with the roof closed the sea worthness is regained for river going and the like.

- I like the idea of having a lot of glass and windows, and maintain privacy with some oneway glass, which should also manage the solar heating.

- I think a well deigned hybrid system makes a lot of sense, best of boat, and can tie in well with increasing electric demands.

But I do agree, for me, it needs just a bit more 'boat' in there, which I think would include some curves. I like curves.

Daniel

I Like curves too, but have a box that the weak call a boat. I Like propellers and females, they have curves. boats are females. and should be threaten like one.

There is both females and boats that have the shape of a fridge. I have the latter.

Your project looks good, I like the sliding roof. the slot might need "brushes" to keep leaves out, also think about where the rain water goes.

The bottom of the boat ? should have a long and fully width or partial width flat bottom to make it easy to dry dock.

Ideally I'd prefer rounder corners too, but having said that I've never had a problem reversing into locks or reversing through narrow bridgeholes.

Despite what the majority on this forum will say, after living on the boat for 9 years and taking it across the country, I've never actually found the corners to be a problem. Often people are only too eager to give advice on things of which they have no first hand experience.

black-rose-wide-beam-2.jpg

Black rose, I really like your boat, it is not boxy, maybe the paint job help there, really nice paint pattern, simple but look good with the port holes, often less is more. the after deck looks good and practical. and the low height of it make it look slim instead of boxy. what's different from your square rear and mine, is that on mine boat those corners goes below water maybe 2,5 feet. so it hit under water rocks easier, I also have the wheel house in the sharp end of the boat so it make it little harder to know where the stern is. I would like to have a rounder stern because I would then be able to turn little earlier when going out of locks into a narrow bend in the canal here. I can reverse into a lock, no problem but have to be very precise and slow. with all that air draft it can be hard when windy, just round off the corners will be more forgiving. a round or elliptical stern would have looked better on my boat, but it would affect deck space and buoyancy.

Speaking about that I like your long swim.