Fuel Cleaning

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

Mango, that may well be true but doesn't solve the problem for boats that have already been built.

Indeed. I expect many more boats will be built before it becomes standard practice to adopt measures that will help keep the fuel supply clean and dry. Plastic diesel tanks, like those on cars, would be a good idea, but would need to be encased in metal to comply with BSS.

We charge £85 for the first 90mins and then £15 for every subsequent 30mins. Filters are charged at cost.

We believe this is a very fair approach. Those tanks which are in pretty good shape pay the basic whereas those which take 4 hrs plus 3 filters are charged accordingly. We have seen both ends of the scale.

Indeed. I expect many more boats will be built before it becomes standard practice to adopt measures that will help keep the fuel supply clean and dry. Plastic diesel tanks, like those on cars, would be a good idea, but would need to be encased in metal to comply with BSS.

I do not think that is now correct. I THINK that you are now allowed plastic tanks providing they comply with certain standards and you can prove it.

It is not just the boat tanks that have to be kept clean. Most canal side diesel storage is simply not designed to deliver clean diesel. When did you last see diesel filtered at the point of delivery? When did you last see an aircraft (another vehicle with fuel bug problems) fueller that didn't have a filter?

A good boat tank design might help to detect and get rid of the crap/water/bug that is put in there from the bank but it is not a cure for the problem. That will require a costly revolution in bankside facilities to ensure it is not put there in the first place.

N

I do not think that is now correct. I THINK that you are now allowed plastic tanks providing they comply with certain standards and you can prove it.

Thanks for this information, Tony. It should be easier to construct a plastic tank with a smooth interior and some form of sump, and maybe even a conductivity sensor to detect water in the fuel. We might beat diesel bug yet.

A good boat tank design might help to detect and get rid of the crap/water/bug that is put in there from the bank but it is not a cure for the problem. That will require a costly revolution in bankside facilities to ensure it is not put there in the first place.

N

Dirty fuel may also introduce diesel bug, in addition to the water and muck that promotes its growth. It would be interesting to pursue a claim against a supplier of dirty fuel under the Sale of Goods Act.

• 4 weeks later...

Not at all old chap.

I am currently finalising some details re a permanent location for operation and working out pricing for a mobile service.

Hoping to have further news early next week.

I also hope to carry a system on the boat.

Any progress on the mobile service, Captain?

I have been working on a barge that is over 50 years old. The raised fuel tank has a small sump, so it is easy to drain off the water and debris from the tank periodically. I am not expecting problems with diesel bug, thanks to this intelligent design.

Are there any leisure boatbuilders that are designing fuel tanks with a sump?