booking the Rochdale ?

narrowboatmick

Featured Posts

I'm sailing from Lyme to Todmorden with my second sailaway,the first one came by road a few years ago. ive heard that I no longer need to book to have locks opened etc.Does anyone know for certain? I will be travelling some time in February,many thanks , Mick.

Sailing in March not Feb, forgot about stoppages.

It on the bridgewater canal and then on to the Rochdale canal where normally you would have to book at 2 different

places along route.However I have heard that this may have changed and no booking is necessary.But just trying to make

sure.Guess ive plenty of time to contact the recipients of my waterways license.

You don't need to book anywhere on your route, but there are several winter closures which will severely restrict you in February. In fact looking at the Waterscape site only Feb 1st and 2nd are unrestricted on the Rochdale , and after the end of the month is OK.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Is that right Richard? Do they leave the lock gates unlocked now then?

I'm not Richard, but yes, that's right. However, restrictions can be (and have been) temporarily re-imposed especially at Summit if water is short, and the stretch coming up out of Manchester is still not recommended for mooring.

First place to moor is Rose of Lancaster at chadderton, tho with a good crew you can get to slattocks in a day from piccadilly basin. Then an easy pootle through Rochdale to moor at Littleborough, or summit. Then 6hours down to baltimore at tod. Have fun.

Stayed there several times. Its possible to moor on the offside on the moorings below the flats, or used to be. Last time we came thru I moored where the queue forms to go through the first lock so we could be up and away. I was woken by someone banging on the side at 3am, " there's been a body found in the last lock (up from rochdale 9) you have to be available for questioning" "Eh?" replied I, half asleep, "police, you have to stay around for questioning" " show me your badge" "why does everyone ask me that?" and wanders off muttering. In the morning when I spoke to the officer guarding the blue taped lock he said it was a local, being cared for in the community, pretending to be an officer. But that only happened once and was no great worry.