Boat burned out on L&L

Featured Posts

Very sad the see this burned out cruiser this morning on the Parbold permanent mooring, called "Ripple." She was intact yesterday afternoon. I include photographs only in case someone recognises her or knows the owner. C&RT were present and are trying to contact him/her.
There is no official reason for the fire, but I notice several other boats on the mooring have been interfered with.

DSCF0929_zpsee26bc26.jpg

Found this in my archives, what she used to look like:

CNV00016_zpsb5891b71.jpg

Edited by Guest

Thats the third time this year boats have been fired on this particular section on the L&L..

Arsonist afoot...

The thought has crossed my mind, too.

a shame.

Is it..a fibreglass boat, on a steel hull?

a shame.

Is it..a fibreglass boat, on a steel hull?

99% certain she was all fibreglass, Dean, but it looks rather like the fire brigade may have attended before the hull took hold. Reason I say that is there is an awful lot of water inside, as though hoses have been used. I only put a distant shot on here, but when you see it close up it is a terrible sight.

Just joined the forum after a boater friend on the forum alerted me to this and sent me a link. I have a boat on the Parbold permanent moorings. I phoned C&RT this morning and they seemed to think that the damaged boat was actually on the visitor moorings (i.e. the towpath side)rather than the permanent moorings. Can anyone verify? I'll be popping over tonight after work to check my boat, but it's not the sort of thing that you want to hear about happening on your mooring - or anyone else's for that matter. Thoughts are with Ripple's owner.

Mike

Just joined the forum after a boater friend on the forum alerted me to this and sent me a link. I have a boat on the Parbold permanent moorings. I phoned C&RT this morning and they seemed to think that the damaged boat was actually on the visitor moorings (i.e. the towpath side)rather than the permanent moorings. Can anyone verify? I'll be popping over tonight after work to check my boat, but it's not the sort of thing that you want to hear about happening on your mooring - or anyone else's for that matter. Thoughts are with Ripple's owner.

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome.

Ripple is definitely on the permanent mooring and has since sunk. Some other boats appear to have been interfered with but as far as I can tell is limited to hoods undone etc.

I walk along there at least once a day, and if you wish you could pm me a mobile number/email address, and I will contact you if I see anything untoward, but you will need five posts first before you can PM I think. I know your boat "Clee" and have spoken to you on a couple of occasions.

Edited by Guest

Catweasel - that's a very kind offer, many thanks for that. I'll send you a PM tonight after I get home - via Parbold - as I've so far been posting by stealth from my work computer! I'll also set up my profile and do a proper intro when I back.

Mike

Really sad and it looks like things are getting worse everywhere, God knows why. It appears that more and more arson incidents are happening in the United States as well: http://www.statista.com/statistics/252459/number-of-arson-offenses-in-the-united-states-by-type/

It's really a terrible and incredibly dangerous thing to do. My family in Ireland were also saying that a horse was recently set on fire and burned to death in our hometown. You really have to wonder what's going through people's minds....

Really sad and it looks like things are getting worse everywhere, God knows why. It appears that more and more arson incidents are happening in the United States as well: http://www.statista.com/statistics/252459/number-of-arson-offenses-in-the-united-states-by-type/

It's really a terrible and incredibly dangerous thing to do. My family in Ireland were also saying that a horse was recently set on fire and burned to death in our hometown. You really have to wonder what's going through people's minds....

I too have heard of live animals being set on fire. (That said it is done in the name of entertainment in some countries.) There was a swan treated in this way a few years ago somewhere. This sort of thing is beyond my comprehension, I just don't get it.

Update - Bad(ish) News. Went down to Parbold to check my boat CLEE after work tonight. I had spoken to R&CT during the day who told me that the burnt boat was on the other side of the canal to my permanent mooring. As was later stated by Catweasel, this was wrong. Ripple was actually the boat moored behind mine. After walking past it's sunken remains in the dark I was confronted with my 25' nb with both front and rear covers damaged, apparently by something sharp like a Stanley knife. (I was later told that this is popular way of breaking into tents and HGV's due to it's quietness). The top had been pulled off the locker containg the hosepipe and a spare propane bottle though both were ok. There were, however, muddy marks where an attempt had been made - unsuccessfully - to kick the doors in. Too late to phone the R&CT to ask, amongst other things, why they had given me incorrect information and had not notified me of the damage to my boat (that will happen in the morning....), I phoned Lancashire Police as I assumed that they would have been aware of this. The very helpful person I spoke to found that they were aware of the fire, but they had it down as possibly accidental and not suspicious. Obviously the previously unknown information about the damage to my adjacent boat - which must be linked - puts a different twist on this, and I will be meeting them at the boat tomorrow with CSI Skelmersdale.

Cold and rather fed up, we retreated to the "Windmill" for a pint of Southport Sandgrounder where two locals we chatted to suggested that they could probably name who was responsible - but proof, of course, would be another matter......

Mike

Update - Bad(ish) News. Went down to Parbold to check my boat CLEE after work tonight. I had spoken to R&CT during the day who told me that the burnt boat was on the other side of the canal to my permanent mooring. As was later stated by Catweasel, this was wrong. Ripple was actually the boat moored behind mine. After walking past it's sunken remains in the dark I was confronted with my 25' nb with both front and rear covers damaged, apparently by something sharp like a Stanley knife. (I was later told that this is popular way of breaking into tents and HGV's due to it's quietness). The top had been pulled off the locker containg the hosepipe and a spare propane bottle though both were ok. There were, however, muddy marks where an attempt had been made - unsuccessfully - to kick the doors in. Too late to phone the R&CT to ask, amongst other things, why they had given me incorrect information and had not notified me of the damage to my boat (that will happen in the morning....), I phoned Lancashire Police as I assumed that they would have been aware of this. The very helpful person I spoke to found that they were aware of the fire, but they had it down as possibly accidental and not suspicious. Obviously the previously unknown information about the damage to my adjacent boat - which must be linked - puts a different twist on this, and I will be meeting them at the boat tomorrow with CSI Skelmersdale.

Cold and rather fed up, we retreated to the "Windmill" for a pint of Southport Sandgrounder where two locals we chatted to suggested that they could probably name who was responsible - but proof, of course, would be another matter......

Mike

Sorry to hear about your covers. I have since learned that an attempt was made to break into the blue/white Norman cruiser second to end. Also the white cruiser at the end has slash marks on the side screen. A boat called Dove, moored through the bridge also had been interfered with when we walked past today. I have also had it suggested to me that the Windmill pub has CCTV. You never know?

Skem. police are usually OK so perhaps something will come of your meeting. Sadly there are no people living on board on the mooring now.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Heard from the son of Ripple's owner at the weekend - they had only just been told that that weekend by the C&RT that their boat had been destroyed. Communications seem on the surface to be lamentable. I somehow think that if Catweasle hadn't posted on here and a friend on the forum hadn't thought to tell me

what had happened, I'd still be none the wiser.

Mike