Coventry Soup

Featured Posts

We are currently having a little jolly from our mooring on the North Oxford, intending to have a few days on the Ashby.

Never having been on the Coventry canal before, we thought that we should really visit the city from which it gets it's name, so turned left at Hawksbury.

The whole of the run into Coventry was plagued with leaves, requiring quite a few blasts astern for prop clearing.

We passed five individuals plus a minder, who were supposedly on community service litter collecting.

We never saw any litter actually being collected, they just appeared to be having a pleasant chat whilst strolling the towpath in the sunshine. I suppose their victims were stuck at work!

Having moored in the basin, we visited the cathedral and the Herbert art gallery and finished off in the transport museum. That was a trip down memory lane!

Heading off for the Ashby in the morning where we may come across a lurking Ditchcrawler of this parish.

We are currently having a little jolly from our mooring on the North Oxford, intending to have a few days on the Ashby.

Never having been on the Coventry canal before, we thought that we should really visit the city from which it gets it's name, so turned left at Hawksbury.

The whole of the run into Coventry was plagued with leaves, requiring quite a few blasts astern for prop clearing.

We passed five individuals plus a minder, who were supposedly on community service litter collecting.

We never saw any litter actually being collected, they just appeared to be having a pleasant chat whilst strolling the towpath in the sunshine. I suppose their victims were stuck at work!

Having moored in the basin, we visited the cathedral and the Herbert art gallery and finished off in the transport museum. That was a trip down memory lane!

Heading off for the Ashby in the morning where we may come across a lurking Ditchcrawler of this parish.

Any photos?

Easier to deal with than supermarket trollies, tyres etc..

Photo's............. Don't get technical with me Junior

I've only just got the hang of turning this iPad on!!

It's blowing hard here this morning so we will sit tight and see what develops.

Plenty of jobs to do and Mrs Miggins is threatening to build a rice pudding.

What's not to like.

The decision to stay put for the day appears to have been correct as it has been blowing hard all day.

Friday morning dawned with a much calmer outlook so we headed off at 10.30.

There was a tree down at bridge 1 but we squeezed past and apart from a lot of wind dumped debris, had an uneventfull trip to Hawkesbury junction.

There is a burnt out car in the car park outside the service building which was not there when we passed on Wednesday.

I later met Mike on Callisto and he said he had had an eventfull night having been moored at that point when the little darlings torched said car.

He had to move pretty sharpish. Just what you need with a deck full of propane cylinders!

We called a greeting to Ditchcrawler as we passed and then made the turn onto the Ashby.

Now for a few days of bimberling.

weres the soup , i was expecting a recipie for onion soup and such like perhaps cooked over a burming car ? and as for the litter pickers they normally turn up were its clean to stsrt with around our way and then get complimented for their efforts because it looks so clean , but no better way to spend ones day enjoying the canal ? though its hardy a punisment more of a reward ?

No I have left and arrived in Braunston at 4pm today If you stop at Sutton Wharf on the 48 hr mooring made of imitation wood, take care the middle bit is lose.

Easier to deal with than supermarket trollies, tyres etc..

We did the whole lot without a visit down the hatch. More leaves on the Ashby,

We called a greeting to Ditchcrawler as we passed and then made the turn onto the Ashby.

Now for a few days of bimberling.

Sorry it didn't twig and I knew you were coming, humble apologies to you.

Well, we have made it to the end of the Ashby navigation. What a fantastic days cruising with sunshine for the whole day. Quite a few leaves and bits of tree but otherwise no problem.

We walked into Measham, what a depressing place we were glad to get back to the cut!

Another splendid sunset this evening, we have been so lucky with the weather on this trip, no other boats seen moving today but Callisto is moored by the swing bridge.

We shall start the return journey tomorrow.