Bialaddin

mark99

Featured Posts

Anyone in here know about these lamps?

Just got a 300x - never used one before but it watched a few utube vids, changed the mantle and it lights up/operates ok.

However, I've noticed when the unit is switched off (and stone cold) the paraffin fuel rises out of the vapouriser,

dribbles down collects in the meths bowl and overflows creaing a mess.

I've tried leaving the air screw undone so it can't pressurise but it still does it. (Even a couple of degrees rise in ambient temperature starts the dribbling out of the vapouriser).

Thanks

Edited by mark99

I keep reading this thread title as "Baladin", and wonder why someone's talking about cheap French hotels...

In a cupboard, I've got some genuine Aladdin table lamps, the type which use a blue flame wick burner and a mantle. All I need is some clear flat space to put them, and a metal plate screwed to the deckhead above it to stop the heat singing the wood. They put out about 500 watts of heat, and the equivalent of about a 150 watt light bulb.

I have two mantle aladdins and would say more like a 40w bulb, maybe 60. Loads of heat though. If you're going to use one on a boat make sure you are aware of a 'runaway' . . . .

I used to use them in the cottage many years ago, and when I left, there were a couple of large black patches on the ceilings and up the walls over the mantelpiece.

It was strange how this never happened while I was in the room. Nip out to the loo, on the other hand....