The best route

Simon clarke

Featured Posts

I have bought a boat which at the moment is on a canal in Bolton. I need to move it to the South, probably the Kennet and Avon Canal somewhere between Bristol and Hungerford. I am in Bournemouth so I think that is as far South as I can get it without a coastal passage which I don't fancy doing until I can give her a good once over. I am thinking of doing this mid to late January or early February. What route would you suggest I take? I have plenty of experience of the sea but hardly any off rivers and canals.

Have a look at this site to plan your journey; be aware however, many sections of the waterways will not be open to navigation due to winter stoppages for routine maintenance at that time of year.

CanalPlanAC — Canal Route Planner

canalplan.eu/

Waterway route planning, plan your boat trip or holiday along the rivers and canals. Distances and locks are given. View and add photos of places.

Check for stoppage informatIon on the CaRT website. The winter stoppage programme usually ends around mid February.

Good luck.

Have a look at this site to plan your journey; be aware however, many sections of the waterways will not be open to navigation due to winter stoppages for routine maintenance at that time of year.

CanalPlanAC — Canal Route Planner

canalplan.eu/

Waterway route planning, plan your boat trip or holiday along the rivers and canals. Distances and locks are given. View and add photos of places.

Check for stoppage informatIon on the CaRT website. The winter stoppage programme usually ends around mid February.

Good luck.

Thankyou so much! Brilliant link.

I have bought a boat which at the moment is on a canal in Bolton. I need to move it to the South, probably the Kennet and Avon Canal somewhere between Bristol and Hungerford. I am in Bournemouth so I think that is as far South as I can get it without a coastal passage which I don't fancy doing until I can give her a good once over. I am thinking of doing this mid to late January or early February. What route would you suggest I take? I have plenty of experience of the sea but hardly any off rivers and canals.

How wide is your boat? Reason I ask is that you won't get it north to South by canal if it is over 7ft wide.

As well as planning a route (and considering Ian's question above) you need to consider winter stoppages on the system given the time of year you plan to travel,

You can check them here for the entire system -

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/navigating-the-waterways/route-planning-stoppages-and-restrictions/winter-stoppages

Note - CRT also sneak the odd one in not included in these maps too.

Edited by The Dog House

Simon

The above highlighted, worry me a little bit.wink.png

I take it this boat is a narrowboat otherwise it will not go north to south without a 'coastal passage' or a lorry.

I hope and it is not just the way it is written, that you are not planning to get the boat to Bournemouth unless of course it is not a canal boat and and suitable for the sea.

January and February and March is the 'winter stoppages' season better to go at the end of March

Simon

The above highlighted, worry me a little bit.;)

I take it this boat is a narrowboat otherwise it will not go north to south without a 'coastal passage' or a lorry.

I hope and it is not just the way it is written, that you are not planning to get the boat to Bournemouth unless of course it is not a canal boat and and suitable for the sea.

January and February and March is the 'winter stoppages' season better to go at the end of March

Exactly the point I was making earlier but I used less words as I'd just woken up ;)

Which Bolton do you mean as I am only aware of one, that being in Lancy. I am not aware of any connected canal in Bolton unless a twiddly bit of the Bridgewater or even the L&L touches its outskirts. Just wondering if it is sat on one of the stretches of the MBB canal that has water in but remains unconnected.

To avoid confusion the boat is at Chorley. I know I can't get to Bournemout that is why I put in my original post, the Kennet and Avon canal.She would be suitable for a coastal passage as she is a seagoing boat not a canal or river boat. See is about 7' wide.

About is not good enough if you want to travel through narrow canals. you need to know exactly

Of course which is why I am asking questions to gain knowledge. The more questions I ask on here the less of the learning curve out there.

Which is why Ditchcrawler emphasised that you really must ascertain your new boat's exact width.

If it's over 7'0" you will have to transport her on a wagon (you will encounter 7' wide locks on the Southward journey

To avoid confusion the boat is at Chorley. I know I can't get to Bournemout that is why I put in my original post, the Kennet and Avon canal.She would be suitable for a coastal passage as she is a seagoing boat not a canal or river boat. See is about 7' wide.

That is even more of a problem canals are on average three feet deep. height under bridges etc varies but can be as low as five feet.

If all else fits she has to be under seven feet to guarantee going north to south.

ps. this year we rubbed bottom many times and we are only two feet six inches hull depth.

If it's a "seagoing boat" - by which I assume something like a small Freeman with a petrol or perhaps a diesel engine, then it is NOT suitable for an extended sea passage under ANY circumstances.

If it a "composite" boat as above the most effective way would be to put it on a lorry or large trailer an deliver it by road. This latter is not horrendously expensive and could save you a lot of grief, if nothing else.

May we have some more details:-

Dimensions: length and width

Engine type and size

Inboard, outboard, leg(s)

Make / model would be a help.

Simon - I think what most people are worrying about is that it's very hard to envisage a boat which is both suitable for a canal journey from Chorley to Bristol AND a sea journey from Bristol to Bournemouth. Could you give us some more details about this boat?

If it is a narrowboat and you just want to consider the journey to the K&A, then you have two main choices.

1. Down the Bridgwater, then Trent and Mersey, Middlewich Branch, Shropshire Union, Staffs and Worcester, River Severn, Gloucester & Sharpness, Bristol Channel, and finally up the K&A.

This involves a sea crossing which will require a pilot. Could be fun though. The quickest way too if you're not held up at Sharpness Dock.

2. Trent and Mersey, Coventry, Oxford, Thames, Kennet, K&A.

Longer way round but probably more predictable.

There's lots of other routes but I'd suggest getting some maps and seeing what works for you.

Check the stoppages, I doubt you'll get very far on the trip before the end of feb.