Nene winter stoppages (not)

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

This is perhaps a bit of a non-message, if so my apologies!

I asked the EA when their winter stoppage programme on the Nene was expected to complete this year, as I am planning to move from Braunston to Ely. In reply they said "we are not planning to close the river for a winter works programme at all this year."

Their helpful email went on to give a plug for their stoppage email circulation list, for emergency stoppages etc; and also for the arrangements for signing up to Strong Stream Advice messages - I got the one issued last week three times (by text, email and voicemail message).

Hmmm bang goes my theory that there converting one manual guillotine lock a year! still they are good excersise I suppose :-)

I think there are only five left now (were six when I did the trip in 2011).

It won't be long before there is a campaign to retain a few on a "heritage" basis - which I personally would support.

I did ponder trying to work out a way to link my (battery operated) power drill to the big handwheels, but decided not to bother.

Maybe the problem is due to lack of electricity in the area.

I discovered this year that there's no electricty supply at Titchmarch Mill. The electric lock mechanism is powered by a big battery bank in the green cabinet next to the lock. When originally installed, this was charged by a solar array on top of the guilotine frame, but that apparently lasted only a few days before being "liberated". The batteries are now charged by a the big generator that the Middle Nene club have installed in a shed to power their clubhouse in the mill.

MP.

I discovered this year that there's no electricty supply at Titchmarch Mill. The electric lock mechanism is powered by a big battery bank in the green cabinet next to the lock. When originally installed, this was charged by a solar array on top of the guilotine frame, but that apparently lasted only a few days before being "liberated". The batteries are now charged by a the big generator that the Middle Nene club have installed in a shed to power their clubhouse in the mill.

MP.

I knew they installed solar charging at a lock, but didn't know which one. I think it is understandable that it didnt last long.

I think Mother Nature normally takes care of the stoppages on the Nene

Oh she does indeed. Last week we had redflag and two boats stuck this side of the lock and now thankfully green flag up but still quite rainy and windy.

The Nene is a bit of a minx, beautiful non the less.

Oh she does indeed. Last week we had redflag and two boats stuck this side of the lock and now thankfully green flag up but still quite rainy and windy.

The Nene is a bit of a minx, beautiful non the less.

Does that not count for most rivers at this time of year?

Having moored on the Nene in the past I concur, it can be a minx and often so in the winter months.

Thats one of the attractions of rivers IMO ( moi is a Humber gal :), they can change so quickly ..and watching their power is so awesome and scary and yet breathtaking.

As much as I love em, I prefare the canals, only because I feel at ease going off on a wander on my own, but I would not yet attempt to go 'solo' on a river,

even with all the proper equipment, because they still give me the collywobbles unsure.png