SE Visitor Moorings winter arrangements

Tuscan

Featured Posts

The laughable thing about 100m of paid for winter moorings is that hardly any boats will pay for those moorings and the stretch will be empty for most of that period.

stonebridge winter moorings near tottenham had 250m allocated in 2011, a single 40ft boat paid for the priviledge(their first winter aboard).

Edited by matty40s

With you 100% on the moorings below lock 20 - this is something we should raise next Wednesday - I think it is 18:00 at Jury's Inn in Milton Keynes - is that correct still? I can only find the information in the minutes of a meeting and I suppose that the time/date/location could have changed by now.

Latest info I have, so what we are currently working to is......

Wednesday 6 November, takes place from 6 – 7.30pm at the Jury’s Inn, Midsummer Boulevard, Milton Keynes, MK9 2HP

If anybody wants to attend, I think you need to have booked a place with Hannah Rowe ( Hannah.Rowe@canalrivertrust.org.uk )

The list of VMs given over to winter moorings shows 100 metres below SB bottom lock (which I guess is all of it). I also notice that 160 mtres of visitor moorings at Cosgrove are similarly designated -- so that's apparently ruled out as an alternative destination for anyone who wants to use their boat in the winter,

The laughable thing about 100m of paid for winter moorings is that hardly any boats will pay for those moorings and the stretch will be empty for most of that period.

stonebridge winter moorings near tottenham had 250m allocated in 2011, a single 40ft boat paid for the priviledge(their first winter aboard).

Well Stoke Bruerne is priced at £12.70 / metre / month, whereas Cosgrove is £7.16 / metre / month

So 5 months with a 59 foot / 18 metre boat will cost £1,143 at Stoke Bruerne - I'm not sure they will get many takers at that price.

Cosgrove for the same boat for the same period would be £644

The general tow-path permit for registered CC-ers would be £450, so you would need to want to be located at Stoke Bruerne fairly desperately, I think, to take that option. Particularly as it is a mile from Stoke Bruerne anyway, on a section of canal known to flood! Only real advantage I can see is proximity to water, refuse and Elsan point.

EDITED: Cross posted with Adam!

Edited by alan_fincher

Do you know if the whole lengths have been provisionally allocated as "paid for" winter moorings in previous years, please?

Might make it a bit harder to argue against if there is already a precedent.

The website suggests that all these sites have been offered in the past, although I don't recall SB Bottom Lock being winter moorings before. My blog reminds me that we stayed there on Saturday 3 November last year, and it was completely empty. Maybe that's because it was designated as winter moorings -- although if it was, I didn't notice.

That's why I have no qualms about stopping for the odd night on designated winter moorings, if there's space. If there's 100 metres of winter moorings at SB and no-one on them when I want to stop, then I will.

Well Stoke Bruerne is priced at £12.70 / metre / month, whereas Cosgrove is £7.16 / metre / month

So 5 months with a 59 foot / 18 metre boat will cost £1,143 at Stoke Bruerne - I'm not sure they will get many takers at that price.

Cosgrove for the same boat for the same period would be £644

The general tow-path permit for registered CC-ers would be £450, so you would need to want to be located at Stoke Bruerne fairly desperately, I think, to take that option. Particularly as it is a mile from Stoke Bruerne anyway, on a section of canal known to flood! Only real advantage I can see is proximity to water, refuse and Elsan point.

I wonder how they came up with these prices. If it's just water, refuse and Elsan you're after, then Cosgrove has them all too, and it's much cheaper!

I wonder how they came up with these prices. If it's just water, refuse and Elsan you're after, then Cosgrove has them all too, and it's much cheaper!

Stoke Bruerne doesn't have a huge indigenous flock of exceedingly noisy Canada geese, possibly? :lol:

The winter moorings notices in the past were a5/4 laminated notices cable clipped into the hedge or fence every 50 or so metres. Outside of little venice, I have never seen anywhere near 100% uptake and moored up if I need/want to accordingly.

the little venice/paddington ones used to sell out as soon as the auctions started, however, local boats would still get notified half way through October that spaces were available at these locations if we wished to have one.

Two threads on this now - I wonder if they would be better merged?

Anyway, posted elsewhere......

I have answers from South East Waterways on two out of three questions raised about the winter arrangements for Visitor Moorings at Stoke Bruerne.

As soon as I have confirmation on the third question I raised, I'll post all replies received.