Calorifier issues

blurstar

Featured Posts

Hello boaters, I have just moved onto a narrowboat which has an eberspacher heating system that I assumed would heat the radiators and the hot water but it seems it only heats the rads. Would it be possible to switch around some connections so the eberspacher does both or do I need to get a twin coil calorifier?

If you only have a single coil calorifier, and the one coil you do have is already used to heat water from the engine cooling circuit, then I would say it will not be particularly straightforward to also make it possible for the Eber to heat the water.

People may suggest various work-arounds that give the possibility, but in all honesty I would say if you want multiple ways of heating the calorifier you also want multiple coils.

As above really, but more information definitely required!

Can you explain (or even better, upload a diagram) of your current system and then we can suggest different ways of achieving what you want (cost Vs complicity Vs efficiency).

Thanks for the replies.

Multiple ways of heating the water are not really needed it would just be more convenient if the engine didn't need to be fired up every time hot water is required. Unfortunately I haven't got a clue how the system is set up, I'll try and have a look later and work it out when the rain stops chucking it down!

If it's only a single coil calorifier then you can still heat it via a plate heat exchanger and circulation pump. Not super difficult to do and saves replacing the calorifierfor a twin coil one.

Or if the calorifierhas an immersion heater or a blanking plug for one, sometimes an extra coil can be retrofitted instead, but you do lose the immersion heater capability.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I'm on the Grand Union by Bulls Bridge. Had a look for the calorifier and eventually found it hidden away in a cupboard! It actually is a twin coil but somethings not right, I ran the engine for a couple of hours earlier and got luke warm water at best, didn't spend long in the shower! I have taken some photos which will hopefully appear below.

[ [/url] 20131015_154922.jpg20131015_154937.jpg 20131015_155026.jpg 20131015_155041.jpg 20131015_155050.jpg20131015_124830.jpg 20131015_154922.jpg 20131015_154937.jpg 20131015_155026.jpg 20131015_155041.jpg 20131015_155050.jpg