Addicted to charity shops

Woodmanton

Featured Posts

Seeing as I had a day off, thought I would go into town & give the charity shops a thorough check out. Such fun, managed to find lots of fabric, wool & other much needed stuff. (My partner would strongly disagree on this point ). Our settee is in need of recovering, luck was on my side & I've purchased well over 10 Meters of fabric for just £4.99 .Don't you just luv it when a bargain comes your way. Another great find was an Aga kettle, hardly used for as little as £3. It is now sitting on the stove ready for action. Still miss Lichfield though, the charity shops there were brilliant. Daventry ain't quite the same.

Seeing as I had a day off, thought I would go into town & give the charity shops a thorough check out. Such fun, managed to find lots of fabric, wool & other much needed stuff. (My partner would strongly disagree on this point ). Our settee is in need of recovering, luck was on my side & I've purchased well over 10 Meters of fabric for just £4.99 .Don't you just luv it when a bargain comes your way. Another great find was an Aga kettle, hardly used for as little as £3. It is now sitting on the stove ready for action. Still miss Lichfield though, the charity shops there were brilliant. Daventry ain't quite the same.

My youngest daughter has just this last couple of weeks got herself a stunning Next top/skirt brand new still with tags for £8 for both from our local Age Concern CS. She is now hooked too.

I like a rummage in them for books mainly or the odd DVD too.

My wife and I have been doing this for years.

Its especially great for 'boaty' clothes...and the occasional 'handy gadget'.

Its also good as it raises funds for others..

Sadly...we have no boat now :o(

But we are busy fitting out a flat..

Bought a sander at a boot sale for £2 ...hot air paint stripper £1...two wallpaper strippers..£2 each

Yesterday..picked up an almost new 'shaker' kitchen for £200...brand new integral freezer £100 and brand new unused ceramic Zanussi hob for £70...(all Ebay)

Great to get bargains !!

Its austerity time..in the Bobbybass household !

I have trawled charity shops for records for years. About 97% of the records they have are crap, but the pleasure (and often profit) lies in discovering the other 3%. Such shops are my usual source of reading matter for train and plane journeys too.

Mrs. Athy has opined in the past that my devotion to such shops is a bit naff, but last year she brought home two very stylish and very cheap pint glasses from one, so she's evidently catching on at last.

Edited by Athy

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've also been charity shopping for years. I remember some of my friends being horrified that I actually bought clothes etc from them. This is back in the seventies. I find it very amusing how its now become trendy & called Vintage. What I do miss is the jumble sales. I can never seem to find them now. When we were moored at Bramwith on the Aire & Calder I did manage to find one & a very good church fate.

This summer we went from a 50' to a 70' so I'm relishing the prospect of filling her to the gunwales ! I have tried to do the minimist bit, (sorry about spelling) but have failed. Lol

I guess that boot fairs have generally taken the place of jumble sales. One of our local churches has sales regularly in their grounds, by no means all the stalls have a car attached, but they still call them boot fairs (or boot sales, can't remember which).

In winter they move them to the church hall and call them "indoor boot fairs" (or sales)!

My youngest daughter has just this last couple of weeks got herself a stunning Next top/skirt brand new still with tags for £8 for both from our local Age Concern CS. She is now hooked too.

I like a rummage in them for books mainly or the odd DVD too.

You need to watch what you're getting with those odd DVDs

They can get you into trouble

''Bring and buy sale'' was what the mothers union called it at my mums church for raising money. You bought and took along say a tin of baked beans to donate and then bought another mothers tin of donated baked beans to take home. Rather a long winded way of obtaining a tin of beans for tea though.