which inverter

macc

Featured Posts

If your using your engine, you won't really need any additional charger for the starter battery. If your leaving it for long periods then thats different. I have a spiral-cell starter battery, these can be left for longer periods as they don't self-discharge as much (3% vs 10% pm). Other benefits of a spiral cell battery is that they can except a large range of charging voltage and have a high CCA, so good for bow thruster batteries as well as starter batteries.

Edited by Robbo

I wonder why Outback & SMA (sunny island range) never get a mention.

Both are big name players in the world market. Both have better warranties than Victron (Outback 5 years & SMA up to 20 years at a cost). They have all the features you could want at similar prices.

Can I charge a 24v AND 12v system independently with a combi? I'm now toying with 24v starter and going for a 12v system! I can maybe put a solar panel on for the 24v starter and have the combi for the domestics? Would have 2 alternators!

What would you be changing to achieve this? For example, are you having a boat built at the moment, or are you looking to buy one soon, or do you own a boat and having some work done on it?

There's an advantage to a narrowboat's electrics being 24V and not many devices which are 12V items without a 24V equivalent, at a similar price. So if I won the lotto and had a brand new narrowboat built to my design, one of the things it would have would be 24V electrics throughout.

There's disadvantages to having 2 alternators and the starting system being eg 24V while the domestic side is 12V (or vice versa) so make them both the same, if you can.

What would you be changing to achieve this? For example, are you having a boat built at the moment, or are you looking to buy one soon, or do you own a boat and having some work done on it?

There's an advantage to a narrowboat's electrics being 24V and not many devices which are 12V items without a 24V equivalent, at a similar price. So if I won the lotto and had a brand new narrowboat built to my design, one of the things it would have would be 24V electrics throughout.

There's disadvantages to having 2 alternators and the starting system being eg 24V while the domestic side is 12V (or vice versa) so make them both the same, if you can.

Thanks everyone for the help!

It's a new-build boat with a 24v starter, and I was just toying with the idea of 12v main electrics instead of 24v? Just having a questioning moment!

I'm currently fitting up the lining, and I was thinking I might just run some light-fitting wire, just to save pulling the ceiling down again at a later date...making a final decision about cabin voltage would mean I can then think about cable sizes and get some ordered!

If you have the option of 24v throughout, take it, voltage drop is one of the biggest hurdles when wiring a boat. Victron (amongst others) do converters in case you wished to run 12v sockets throughout for phone chargers etc. These have the advantage of being stabilized at their output voltage which will keep equipment happier.