The Floating Market is happening...

Dave_P

Featured Posts

The atmosphere in Birmingham was great last weekend, the market seemed to have plenty of interest.

I'm curious about where everyone went though. We left Birmingham yesterday down Farmer's bridge, Ashtead, Garrison, Minworth and Cudworth. In all that time, (10 hours including filling our water tank), we were caught up by one boat when Mr Trackman had to go down the weedhatch on Farmer's bridge to remove wire and clothing. After that we saw no boats at all until one moored before Minworth, one by 'The Boat' at Minworth, one moored at Curdworth and one by 'The Dog and Doublet'. The only other moving boats we saw were one at the top of Curdworth and one coming out of the bottom lock, quite a relief to see them coming out of our 38th lock of the day. I don't think we have ever seen it quite so quiet whatever time of the year we have done that trip.

The ccers will still be there for a few weeks yet.

(tongue in cheek smiley deployed)

Just three CC boats still here this morning, We reckon the special market mooring rules applied till Tuesday, so today is now the end of the normal 48 hours. One boat has just left heading for the Wolverhampton 21, one has gone to the 14 day mooring after the bridge, so we are the only overstayers.

However we have actually left and returned because we went for a very short unplanned cruise just after midnight, but that's one of the hazards of Birmingham.

Start the big slog back to the K&A tomorrow.

..............Dave

However we have actually left and returned because we went for a very short unplanned cruise just after midnight, but that's one of the hazards of Birmingham.

..............Dave

Please, tell us more!

The only hazard that we've ever encountered in Brum was on occasion when we stopped in one of the high rise hotels quite close to Gas Street Basin. I ordered two drinks from the bar and the bill came to over £12. To the young barman's surprise I insisted that I'd not offered to buy drinks all around!

First, following an earlier post from yourself, Gillie has changed her official job title from "maker of things" to Stringsmith.

It was a very slick untying, back rope slipped off bollard, a good push out, then front rope off too. But I was too quick for them (two blokes, a woman and a staffie) and got off the boat whilst the front was still within stepping distance of the bank. Got untied here last year too.

I note some boats here use a jubilee clip to hold the ropes tight to the bollard. I reckon if people get pleasure from untying boats them we should let them, I don't want to create a situation where they start to carry a knife to cut ropes!

Birmingham beer prices..

I feel that if a round (pint of real ale and half of lager for the stringsmith) is less than a fiver then its good.

Prince of Wales is less the £5, choice of many real ales, and a meal (very adequate but nothing special) is £5 to £6.

The CaRT social was at the Brasshouse, a busy city centre trendy style pub and the round was just over £5.(and thats for Tim Taylor Landlord)

What always amazes me is the little cafe-bar RIGHT on the Worcester Bar, the round was about £5.30 but that was very posh lager, and a meal (microwaved but very nice) is £3.95 or £4.95.

Not looking forward to paying K&A Berkshire prices in a months time.

.............Dave

First, following an earlier post from yourself, Gillie has changed her official job title from "maker of things" to Stringsmith.

Not looking forward to paying K&A Berkshire prices in a months time.

.............Dave

A very well earned title indeed!

I suppose we were guilty of being naive in thinking that the beer prices would be sensible in a hotel. I always recall the second time that we went into The a Shroppie Fly following a tepid meal and some ordinary beer the previous day. I asked the barman for two pints of warm beer served in dirty glasses. "I can't serve you that" came the surprised answer, to which I promptly replied; "why not, you served me with that yesterday!"

Let's hope that the now posh pub in Hungerford has allowed proper people to populate the bar, and not your tuppence halfpenny snobs that only drink Pimms and the likes! Yar.....

What always amazes me is the little cafe-bar RIGHT on the Worcester Bar, the round was about £5.30 but that was very posh lager, and a meal (microwaved but very nice) is £3.95 or £4.95.

.............Dave

Yep, that's one of my favourites too, great to settle down outside for a nice pint of real ale and a gongoozle cheers.gif

Yep, that's one of my favourites too, great to settle down outside for a nice pint of real ale and a gongoozle cheers.gif

We went through the bar about 10 mins ago and evenr though we are 6 foot 11 and a half inches wide Gillie managed it without touching the side which caused lots of comments lfrom the crowd of gongoozles, some of which were possibly a bit rude!

Might try the Vegan breakfast in the morning before leaving Brum

Edited by dmr

We went through the bar about 10 mins ago and evenr though we are 6 foot 11 and a half inches wide Gillie managed it without touching the side which caused lots of comments lfrom the crowd of gongoozles, some of which were possibly a bit rude!

Blimey Dave,

Can you get that fat boat through the bottom lock at Hurleston on the Llangollen?

Blimey Dave,

Can you get that fat boat through the bottom lock at Hurleston on the Llangollen?

Its only the back few feet that are too fat, and Hurleston is narrow mostly due to bulge towards the bottom end about half way up.

Had a very nasty moment when water was rising and the boat wasn't, but then worked out that it would be ok as long as we went up backwards.

Have not tried the South Stratford yet.

..........Dave

.............Dave

We passed through the Worcester Bar today around 4.30pm and have moored on the Oozells St Loop outside Bannatynes. Being a bit strapped for cash we were looking for a cheapish meal and went to this cafe'-bar. I had a lovely bangers and mash washed down with a couple of pints of Saddlers, and the wife a mushroom stroganoff. Both meals for under a fiver which for a city centre isn't bad.

Amazing as well for this time of year to be warm enough to have sat outside until well into the evening.