The Floating Market is happening...

Dave_P

Featured Posts

...and Birmingham is very pleased to have it. I bought a lovely brass bell last night for the amazing price of £3! If you're anywhere near Birmingham, go down and support it.

I do find it's position a shame since it's mostly in the mainline as you're heading away from the city centre so doesn't get the best of the passing footfall. I can see why it's been put there for logistical reasons though. All the trip boats get the best spots and they're here all year. Having said that, the marketing/advertising has been close to non-existent. If it happens again next year, I'm putting my name forward right now to help with posters/signs etc. How are people suppose to go if they don't know it's happening?

Yes signage is not fantastic, but there is always reasonable footfall along there at the weekend and the boats seem in general to have customers. However, my bugbear is the CRT tent, which is located in just about the most unobtrusive location imaginable, and the CRT volunteers boat which is on the Oozels st loop and therefore getting very little footfall. Come on CRT (Simon Salem)) you need to get better at marketing!

We were moored outside the NIA for a day or so last weekend and the only mention I saw of the Floating Market was on a boat window and you had to be quite rude and look closely to read it. More on site advance advertising might be a good thing although, as Nicknorman says, there area lot of folk passing there at the weekend.

Having met some of the boats on their way there we wished that we were going to be able to attend.

haggis

Anyone recommend where to park?

We are thinking of driving down tomorrow.

Going on our non boating trips to Birmingham NIA which is near where the market is the nearest will I reckon by in Brunswick Street,

Brindley Place,
1 Brunswick Street
West Midlands
Birmingham B1 2JF
Walk towards the NIA/Sea Life Centre and you should see the market on your left as you cross the canal.
Edited by The Dog House

NIA West car park is even closer

Richard

Yes I agree but we have never managed to park there as it's always been full - they could be lucky, though there is an event on at the arena tomorrow starting at 10am.

The address for that one is Vincent Street.

Most of the pay and display, on road parking around Gas street and the NIA is free on a Sunday with no time restrictions as the area falls into the outer parking zone although the street by the Hyatt hotel is in the inner zone and parking charges apply. Do check on the pay and display machine to confirm charging times. Outer zone machines are green, inner zone machines (Sunday charging) are silver.

More details here http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cpz

What a lovely day for it, very lucky with the weather.

It was nice to meet John Sloan, Cheshire Rose, Happy Bunny etc. Sorry, we had to leave early and didn't have time to introduce ourselves to everyone that turned up at The Prince of Wales.

Just crawling out of bed after yet another night on the beer, these continuous cruisers and traders are a very sociable bunch.

Time to set up the stall for a final day of trading and entertaining the good people of Birmingham.

Its all so much more fun than reading arguments on the forum!

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

Telemachus has a new tiller tassel, thanks Dave (or was it Gillie?)Tiller tassel

If I'm not mistaken, more likely to be Gillie. A master stringsmith if ever there was one. Dave's just a front man!

And another thing, where's Jeff with his polishing cloth? That tiller stub looks decidedly grubby! :-)

Just crawling out of bed after yet another night on the beer!

.................Dave

Serves you right you drunkard, just as well that Glen wasn't there too on nb Goliath. Lol

Edited by Doorman

Unfortunately we had to depart at 9:30 this morning. Still, with everybody hung over we went down Farmer's bridge without seeing another boat, and at 1:10 with just the 2 of us and every lock against us, I reckon we made good time. Jeff does like to scamper up and down to set the locks -2 locks ahead mostly, before returning to close the gate.

What a great weekend.

We spotted Telemachus - complete with new tassle - last night when we took Fizz for a walk. 9.30 on a Sunday morning is just too early for us to be up and about!

Lightweight! As I often do, I was up at 6 for car-booting. I can sadly, but honestly, report that I bought more stuff at the car-boot than at the floating market. I have enjoyed having it here and nice to say hello to Mr Norman and his exceeding shiny boat, complete with tassel. What's the tassel for? On my boat, if it don't have a use, it's unlikely to be around for long...

Maybe the tassel is in honour of Birmingham, since it's said to have more lapdancing clubs than any other city in Europe!

Edited by Dave_P

We have had a lovely weekend in Birmingham. We went to the CRT social on Friday night, browsed the market Saturday morning, popped over to the Black Country Museum Staurday afternoon to see the historic boats there. Back for the banter in The Prince of Wales on Saturday night then another quick look around the market on Sunday prior to nipping over to have a look at the new library. Then a family dinner at The Pitcher and Piano (which was actually one of the worst examples of service in a restaurant I have experienced for a very long time)

A few photo's:

This one taken from the roof garden at the new library:

1380767_10151860851894070_944805906_n.jp

Look who Bunny is chatting up....... ;)

1234608_10151860850174070_1107089991_n.j

Lots of interest:

1383483_10151860849829070_759984582_n.jp

This photo was taken very early as they were only just opening

579132_10151860848964070_1641110071_n.jp