pump out question

davidc

Featured Posts

Please no pump out over cassette’s arguments

My question is I have a pump out on my boat.

I’ve been empting it every two weeks not knowing how full it is as I do not have any indicator on the tank, so if I left it how would I know when it is nearly full.

Please no pump out over cassette’s arguments

My question is I have a pump out on my boat.

I’ve been empting it every two weeks not knowing how full it is as I do not have any indicator on the tank, so if I left it how would I know when it is nearly full.

If it's a dump through you should be able to see the level.

If its a type with a remote tank you need to know the size and calc. from there. Or you can sometimes retrofit a level indicator depending on tank type and access to the top surface.

Some though not all macerator loos will not flush any longer if the holding tank is full - though this is not universally so.

Edited by The Dog House

If it's a dump through you should be able to see the level.

If its a type with a remote tank you need to know the size and calc. from there. Or you can sometimes retrofit a level indicator depending on tank type and access to the top surface.

it's a Fresh water flush model and the tank is built in to the shell but no dimensions on the shell spec to tell me the size

it's a Fresh water flush model and the tank is built in to the shell but no dimensions on the shell spec to tell me the size

Bit long winded but I'd do this (assuming there is a vent in the system).

Pump out the tank and flush the tank out really well. Keep flushing the loo counting how many goes it takes until water comes out of the vent. That will tell you how many is too many. Knock off 20 or so flushes (some flushes will have slightly more volume due to "bits" and that should leave enough headroom so it does not overflow). Then you would need to keep count once you have pumped out again.

We know ours is getting full by it starting to smell a little (we add a bit of blue to help the smell go away). Eventually you end up adding a touch of blue and it doesn't really go, then its nearly full. Checking the level if its a dump through is easier but on ours, you need a torch. We always aim to empty it a bit before it really needs it, in case of issues (such as your boatyard's pump out machine is broken, or the next one you are passing is really expensive, etc).

We also have a porta-potti as a backup - never needed it yet though.

If you can get at the tank, measure all 3 sides in metric and multiply together to get the volume; 1000 cubic centimetres = 1 litre.

If there's no fancy filter in the breather outlet, then you can just watch for the overflow, but that's a bit drastic!

In the end, you'll need to retrofit one of the various gauges to avoid having to guess. Fitting a distant tank without any sort of gauge is a seriously bad idea.

In the short term you may be able to dip the tank through the pump out fitting, The vent should never overflow, it should be at the top of the tank to allow gas only to exit and the bowl should back up before the tank fills to the very top. In the longer term then fit a gauge, not a warning light, so that you have plenty of warning http://www.hendersons.co.uk/boattank/tank-level-indicator.html We've just fitted one of these and it works very well.

As another short term idea, the boat may list as the tank fills if it's not fitted in the centre.

Do get a porta potti for emergencies.

Like all learn curves I am learning

First off have located overflow vent as it is it just under the pump outlet

Two have located the top of the tank but I found this

pumpout_zpsf7045924.jpg

anyone have an idea what its for.

The white pipe on the right is the pump outlet

and on the left is the vent

tank size is about

1 ft x 1 ft x 6ft 9 inches

Edited by davidc

We have a small light that comes on when the tank is about 80% full. It's a bit temperamental though so we tend to just ignore it. When the tank was full the contents would slowly siphon back into the bowl, then its time to empty the tank.

We have recently put in a new twist and lock loo with anti syphon. The last time the tank was full it had nowhere to go so the tank expanded lifting the saloon floor. Luckily we spotted it in time and had the tank emptied pretty sharpish.

Like all learn curves I am learning

First off have located overflow vent as it is it just under the pump outlet

Two have located the top of the tank but I found this

pumpout_zpsf7045924.jpg

anyone have an idea what its for.

The white pipe on the right is the pump outlet

and on the left is the vent

tank size is about

1 ft x 1 ft x 6ft 9 inches

The hexagonal black plastic nut with the clear plastic tube coming out is the level monitor tube. Inside is just an open ended pipe pointing down. As the tank fills and covers the bottom of the pipe the pressure inside the pipe builds. When the pressure gets high enough (tank nearly full) it will cause a diaphragm switch (the round white thing with the red & black wires) to operate. This will cause an indicator (probably an LED on the toilet panel) to change colour or come on.

So :- take the small plastic clear tube off where it connects to the black nut, get someone to blow down the end of the pipe to operate the switch, look for an indicator somewhere. If you find it and it works, great, if not check switch with multimeter by puffing down the tube and seeing if you get continuity. If that is OK check wiring and trace back to indicator (could be loose connection somewhere).

If all seems OK and the indicator still fails to register contents, its time to undo the black nut and clean out the drop tube (likely to be full of crap sick.gif ).

Good Luck.

Our method of checking:

1. Switch off water pump.

2. Hold down the flush lever

3. Shine torch down the hole and observe fluid level

4. Insert dipstick

It is possible to estimate the depth of the tank from where the dipstick coincides with the top of the tank - and a mark can be applied to the dipstick.

5. Withdraw dipstick and wipe clean

6. Release flush lever

7. Switch on water pump.

By the look of the photo you should be able to run a dip stick down the pump out hose. Its not dead straight but something like a length of plastic water pipe should go down OK. You should feel the bottom of the tank and see the level on the pipe. Obviously if you can get that alarm working it will be much easier.

Edited by ditchcrawler