Would the name of a boat put you off buying?

Neil2

Featured Posts

Agreed.

But an amusing name based on word-play around the the word 'nautical' could be fun, if only someone could think of one...

biggrin.png

MtB

Ha Ha... I 'm going to add that to the draft of a book I'm currently working on called "Things I wish I'd said first".

My friend has a boat called Sweet Dreams but has the 's' and an 'e' very small so it looks like wet dreams at first glance

That's even worse.

Changing the boats name was not an option, one name since 1936 makes changing nigh on impossible. Could be a problem if you don't like the place a boat is named after or the animal or bird. Disliking a star is a bit hard but the translations of the names can be a bit strange.

From my Stars at a Glance book, Antlia - the air pump or Lacerta- the lizard. Maybe Cetus- the whale or the sea monster.

Not a problem with a new boat,just change the name. I would not dismiss a lovely boat because it had a daft name. To be honest there's a lot more scope for individuality and personal choice when you get away from historic boats. It won't stop every man and his dog having an opinion about what you're doing though.

When I worked for a hire yard I used to regularly go past a large Porter & Haylett cruiser named 'Dilligaf' (if you don't get it, google it, although not at work).

I didn't like the name of my boat when I bought her, but as it was done with vinyl stickers, changing it wasn't difficult. Finding a new name that my other half was prepared to let me call the boat was a bit trickier - my first two choices were 'Millennium Falcon' (which had the additional disadvantage that the new stickers would be quite expensive), and 'Thunderchild', but both of those got vetoed.

When I worked for a hire yard I used to regularly go past a large Porter & Haylett cruiser named 'Dilligaf' (if you don't get it, google it, although not at work).

I didn't like the name of my boat when I bought her, but as it was done with vinyl stickers, changing it wasn't difficult. Finding a new name that my other half was prepared to let me call the boat was a bit trickier - my first two choices were 'Millennium Falcon' (which had the additional disadvantage that the new stickers would be quite expensive), and 'Thunderchild', but both of those got vetoed.

Dilligaf that is my user name on a football forum but didn't think it appropriate for CWDF.

so i used an old nickname i got in the army

our boats name meant something to the previous owner so we kept it.

I thought "Thunderchild" a great name for a boat, then i started to hum the tune and vetoed it myself.

Agreed.

But an amusing name based on word-play around the the word 'nautical' could be fun, if only someone could think of one...

:D

MtB

P.S. I wouldn't mind being a CCer and calling my boat after the thousands country cottages one sees out there cleverly called "Dunroamin" :)

Unfortunately we can't take the credit for it. We bought it with the name!

I think it's horrible myself, but each to their own.

We were not keen at first but it quickly became apparent it was quite a fitting name. It has grown on us over the years :)

Humm.. I will admit to dismissing boats with crude names.or Mr & Mrs something or other or Grumpy old gits.I think the name should say something about the boat and not the people who own it because they may not a always own it.sorry if that offends it`s just my humble opinion.

I know you can change the name but that adds to the cost and the money could be better spent on nice shiny new things for it

Humm.. I will admit to dismissing boats with crude names.or Mr & Mrs something or other or Grumpy old gits.I think the name should say something about the boat and not the people who own it because they may not a always own it.sorry if that offends it`s just my humble opinion.

I know you can change the name but that adds to the cost and the money could be better spent on nice shiny new things for it

The cost of changing a boats name really depends on the boat type and how it's been done. By way of example changing one on a GRP cruiser can be done very cheaply compared to a professionally sign written name on a full side panel on a steel narrowboat.

Edited by The Dog House

The trouble with acronyms, puns, and reverse anagrams eg llamedos (is there a proper word for these?) is like someone said earlier unless it is really witty and original it's just like hearing the same old joke over and over and it grates, well it does on me. And even if it is original eventually someone will copy it.

And I really just do not understand why someone would deliberately give a boat an offensive or pseudo-obscene name, there's certainly no way I would even look at a boat called dilligaf.

Some may be genuine mistakes, I can't believe all those wet dreams were intentional.

And I'm wondering about the "Golden Sprays" as well.

Somewhere on the system there is a boat with the name "BUGGERLUGS" in foot high letters - you may have seen it. I mean, what on earth was that owner thinking, or what drug was he on, when he thought that would be a good name for a boat?

That's enough boat names - Ed