Driving without reverse gear

mibix

Featured Posts

How did they manage in the good old days? Don't think horses had a reverse gear!

The canals were better manged and there was a better general understanding of what each was up to and far less boats moored on the banks.... certainly, close to none on the towpath side.

Plus. What happens if two boats come across each other, with no reverse, at a bridgehole, while another is helpfully parked there hooting at cars crossing the bridge, and as is alsways going to happen in these situations, a cow makes a break for freedom from the adjacent field? Mayhem thinks I.

I'm having a slight dig at previous posts... my own included. But my point is, what if you meet another in the same situation. Is it not best to just not do it and thus not risk the safety of others?

Edited by RockSodem

This reminds me of a story about one of the first carrying boats to be converted and fitted with an engine.

The boatman decided that he didn't want the expense of a reverse gear- "my horse doesn't have reverse", he said.

Apparently he came steaming straight out of the arm and piled smack into the other side of the canal- and then sheepishly returned to have one fitted.

Possibly apocryphal, but very funny.

It may not be the best idea, you will have the added momentum of the flow (not that the rivers are exactly raging at present) which will push you into things and GRP won't be as forgiving as steel if you hit something. Maybe better to go to the nearest 14 day mooring as wait. I've found the guys at bray marina to be really helpful (Thames marine bray) , they may know the out drive , I know there are a few at the marina with similar drives or they may be able to suggest someone else. They probably aren't the closest but I've used them before and was really happy with their work.

The horse boats on the Severn used to tow a hundredweight sausage shaped mudweight called a "pig" to slow them down when drifting downstream.

Personally, I'd try and fix it or, failing that, get a tow.

I'd also want some stout shafts on board for punting along and fending off things I didn't want to hit.

You could actually make the river work to your advantage. Not when you are travelling downstream of course - that's just going to need careful observation and planning.

But mooring against the current is a good thing. No reverse required. The current helps you control your forward speed nicely when you've got the hang of it

And if you have the room swing it head to wind to pull it up.

Bow hauling is easy. Tie the tow line at about a 1/3 of the way from the bow end to a strong handrail or something. Lash an oar or a long plank over the transom for someone else to steer with while your pulling or if on your on your own lash the oar or plank offset to keep the boat nicely away from the bank whilst hauling.

Is it not part of CaRT terms and conditions to have an efective means of reverse.Obviously,this does not apply in a short term emergency situation,where other methods apply. I bought my Isuzu from Bob Knowles and found him O.K. to deal with .Plenty of experienced marine engineers who can repair an Enfield outdrive. I understood that Bob Knowles is the main supplier of spares for this unit.

As an emergency brake either a strong bucket or a 56 Lb weight on a long stout bit of rope with a float on the other end. Chuck the bucket/weight overboard and either brake the rope with your gloved hands or if the cleats are OK take a single turn round a cleat and surge the rope. A GRP boat doen't have much momentum compared with a typical steel boat will soon stop from a sensible canal pace.

N

Seconded - on the Broads it would be called a mud weight.