Two Threads, C&RT's two faces and this forum.

matty40s

Featured Posts

Where can I get one of those folding hedge trimmers that you see mounted on tractors in country lanes? I want to be able to pull a lever and have it fold down from the side of my boat, perhaps with two settings, "vegetation" and "anglers".

• Greenie 1

Where can I get one of those folding hedge trimmers that you see mounted on tractors in country lanes? I want to be able to pull a lever and have it fold down from the side of my boat, perhaps with two settings, "vegetation" and "anglers".

Get a cutter bar as used on an old grey fergy and you could cut the banks as you cruise along. I am sure Bizzard would have ideas on how to power it. biggrin.png

MtB often writes words of wisdom and I confess to following threads to which he contributes, however, I think it somewhat judgemental to state:

"will hopefully stem the avalanche of demandy shiny caravan type boaters onto the cut."

I would much rather see some of the shiny caravan type boaters, along with the beautifully restored working boats than some of the statics piled high with every kind of dross amongst the forests of tree trunks and their overspill alongside and sometimes upon the towpath. Just because some owners show a little pride in keeping their boats looking good doesn't mean that they shouldn't be there. I hasten to add that mine is in need of a good wash and polish and is looking somewhat battle scarred after this summer's cruise.

Many of the statics appear to have time on their hands and a little good housekeeping wouldn't go amiss. I know...who is being judgemental now?

As for country moorings, I have moored out in the country most of the time, (sometimes for as long as 48 hours) without difficulty. I accept that along many lengths the towpath and embankment is in a wild and overgrown state and that the reed beds are choking the channels, reducing it to one way traffic. I simply carry on until I find something suitable and that is often within a short period of time.

Okay, tin helmet is on, slit trench dug in readiness for the salvos that are bound to come flying in.

The point I'm trying to make is that having a bit of pride in the appearance of your boat isn't a bad thing and conversely if you want to make a boat look like a floating shed, well, whatever floats your boat!

•  

MtB often writes words of wisdom and I confess to following threads to which he contributes, however, I think it somewhat judgemental to state:

"will hopefully stem the avalanche of demandy shiny caravan type boaters onto the cut."

I would much rather see some of the shiny caravan type boaters, along with the beautifully restored working boats than some of the statics piled high with every kind of dross amongst the forests of tree trunks and their overspill alongside and sometimes upon the towpath. Just because some owners show a little pride in keeping their boats looking good doesn't mean that they shouldn't be there. I hasten to add that mine is in need of a good wash and polish and is looking somewhat battle scarred after this summer's cruise.

Many of the statics appear to have time on their hands and a little good housekeeping wouldn't go amiss. I know...who is being judgemental now?

I do agree. We aren't a 'shiny boat', I'm far too lazy for that. I try to make sure that the systems work, and keep it clean, but polishing is off the menu.

Each to his own I say, but I don't like to see boats that appear to have been stuck in a location 'for ever' with the towpath piled high with their detritus. There is no need for that, and it gives the boating community in general a bad reputation.

Bob