Gas Confusion

system 4-50

Featured Posts

I have been given a new cheapie gas barbeque for my birthday.

It comes setup for its own proprietary cartridges which it claims are patio gas which it says is a propane butane mixture. These last about two "cooks".

It comes with a regulator for these cartridges which is clearly marked "butane 29mbar".

I asked the manufacturer if it could with an appropriate regulator run on propane (the boat) or butane (at home). The last thing I want is to have to stock a third type of cylinder gas.

They replied use patio gas, we won't talk to you about anything else, we won't even tell you the hose size, you must buy all parts from us using non-technical language. (I paraphrase.)

The manual supplied with the device happily talks about running it on propane but won't tell me the hose connection size. Nor is it clear as to whether it applies to this country.

A look on the Calor website suggests that patio gas is just propane.

My questions for those of you reading this who have not gone to sleep yet:

1. What is patio gas? Is it propane or a propane butane mix?

2. Why did Calor decide to produce a third gas product?

3. What is the practical difference in using each of the three(?) gases?

Edited by system 4-50

The only difference i can find between any of these bottled gas's is that propane will work at lower temperatures.

Buy a propane regulator and bottle.

Alex

There are quite a few differences, calorific value being the main other one that springs to mind. You get a lot more energy per gram of gas with butane iirc

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I have been given a new cheapie gas barbeque for my birthday.

It comes setup for its own proprietary cartridges which it claims are patio gas which it says is a propane butane mixture. These last about two "cooks".

It comes with a regulator for these cartridges which is clearly marked "butane 29mbar".

I asked the manufacturer if it could with an appropriate regulator run on propane (the boat) or butane (at home). The last thing I want is to have to stock a third type of cylinder gas.

They replied use patio gas, we won't talk to you about anything else, we won't even tell you the hose size, you must buy all parts from us using non-technical language. (I paraphrase.)

The manual supplied with the device happily talks about running it on propane but won't tell me the hose connection size. Nor is it clear as to whether it applies to this country.

A look on the Calor website suggests that patio gas is just propane.

My questions for those of you reading this who have not gone to sleep yet:

1. What is patio gas? Is it propane or a propane butane mix?

2. Why did Calor decide to produce a third gas product?

3. What is the practical difference in using each of the three(?) gases?

Patio gas is a propane/butane mixture.

[/ Mode cynic on]To compartmentalise the market and enable them to charge more for a 'special' product [/Mode cynic off]

Only the operating pressure. This is varied to cope with slight differences in the flame speed and in the calorific value of the fuel. Propane is normally 37 mBar Butane 29 mBar. No idea what Calor patio gas regulators operate at.

Your gas barbecue will be happy and safe on either Propane or Butane with the right regulator. Can you remove the existing special regulator easily? What is left behind?

BES (and others) sell a wide range of gas fittings which may enable you to connect a (high pressure) gas hose to BSS 3212/2 (to comply with the BSS!) between where the regulator currently fits and a new regulator on a matching gas bottle. You will need to be confident you can make gas-tight joints at the barbie end and at the regulator or get a competent person to sort it.

I would not recommend regularly swopping between the two gases. The barbie will be fine, but the pipes and regulators are not designed to be swopped around on the barbie frequently. If you want to run it at home and on the boat get a Propane cylinder for home.

N

Patio gas is a propane/butane mixture.

[/ Mode cynic on]To compartmentalise the market and enable them to charge more for a 'special' product [/Mode cynic off]

Only the operating pressure. This is varied to cope with slight differences in the flame speed and in the calorific value of the fuel. Propane is normally 37 mBar Butane 29 mBar. No idea what Calor patio gas regulators operate at.

Your gas barbecue will be happy and safe on either Propane or Butane with the right regulator. Can you remove the existing special regulator easily? What is left behind?

BES (and others) sell a wide range of gas fittings which may enable you to connect a (high pressure) gas hose to BSS 3212/2 (to comply with the BSS!) between where the regulator currently fits and a new regulator on a matching gas bottle. You will need to be confident you can make gas-tight joints at the barbie end and at the regulator or get a competent person to sort it.

I would not recommend regularly swopping between the two gases. The barbie will be fine, but the pipes and regulators are not designed to be swopped around on the barbie frequently. If you want to run it at home and on the boat get a Propane cylinder for home.

N

Many thanks for a comprehensive answer.

I shall look for a ready-made hose and regulator which will screw onto the male screw fitting on the barbie. I'll try Socal first for that.

Don't BES ask for a gas-safe number or some such?

Any swapping will be very infrequent.

Don't BES ask for a gas-safe number or some such?

Nope. In a democacy everyone is free to do their own gas work. They just have to accept the consequences of getting it wrong!

(And BES are free to bank the profits...)

MtB