Gas Regulators - lack of gusto!

spaceyaface

Featured Posts

Good Afternoon All.

I like to cook, a lot!

Now...I have a little 3 ring hob and the smallest gas oven known to man...!

I regularly cater for a large numbers of guests, I think the record is 38 for Sunday Lunch.

I intend to purchase an commercial cooker in the boat, like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARRY-6-BURNER-RANGE-COOKER-OVEN-LPG-OR-BOTTLE-GAS-/251320118925

However, I'm worried that from just one red regulator I'll not have enough juice from the gas bottles.

May I ask if - you get regulators that let more juice through and can I have a separate bottle and regulator for the burners and double oven.

As always MANY thanks for all your help....(come for supper!) x

In Spain virtually all of the restaurant kitchens run off gas bottles as they don't have piped gas in most places. Assuming that British gas bottles produce the same pressure as Spanish ones, you should be fine.

Edited by Delta9

Propane is LPG. The other common varieties are Butane and Patio Gas (green bottles) which is a mixture of Propane and Butane. If you want to take a lot of gas at once then you need Propane ( red bottles) rather than Butane (in blue bottles) as Butane bottles tend to freeze when asked to supply lots of gas.

There are several things to consider before you buy a big cooker:

How much gas does the cooker you choose need in kg/hr, or kW? 1kG/hr is about 13.5 kW. This affects the size of the pipe, the size of the gas bottles and the size of the regulator.

The gas pipe needs to pass enough gas for the cooker and every other piece of gas burning equipment with it all on full blast at the same time. There is a test in the BSS to check that it does.

If you try to take too much gas out of a gas bottle it will quickly get too cold and whilst propane won't freeze, it won't boil fast enough to deliver the gas you need. A typical 13 Kg propane bottle is designed to supply 15 kW. A gas water heater can use 11 kW and a range cooker will certainly be in that ball park with all burners going

The regulator needs to pass at least as much gas as all the appliance will use at full chat- this is the same number as in the pipe size question. Regulators come in various sizes: I believe there is at least a 1.5 kg/hr and a 4 kg/hr. Too big is not a problem. Multiple regulators is not a problem except that they need to live in the gas locker..

Say you needed a 2.5 kg/hr gas flow rate. Two 1.5 kg regulators into a big enough supply pipe will shift the gas but you will be close to the 13 kg bottle offtake limit and therefore might need 3 bottles and 3 regulators or a special high-pressure side with tow bottles into one regulator. Bigger gas cylinders would help- if there is space. Practically you only run everything at full blast for BSS tests and the offtake limits seem to be generous, so in my example you would probably get away with two 13 kg cylinders. Anything much bigger and you need at least 19kg cylinders.

Finally, since you are burning all this gas you will need to consider ventilation. Not enough air means Carbon Monoxide production, possibly poisoning and permanent sleeps. Again the BSS has a check for this but it is advisory. Probably with everything on it will get too hot. The vent area need can be calculated from the heat input to your stoves etc and the calculation is on the BSS website.

There is no reason why the cooker can't have it's own gas bottles, pipe and regulator(s). This will need to comply with the BSS.

Have you thought of persuading your friends they really like salad?

N

Edited by BEngo

Some commercial cookers do have ffd including Falcon's Dominator series. I looked at going this route having been shocked at the dolls house ovens selling for mega bucks in chandleries. However, the depth of them was too great for my kitchen layout and I opted for one of these http://www.cannoncooking.co.uk/products/professional-60cm-gas-cooker.shtml which I do not regret at all.

The pan supports are up there with a commercial cooker (and better than a hateful Lincat I used to work with) and the bottom oven is large enough for a turkey/goose, bakes beautifully evenly and is pretty true to gas mark. The wok burner is plenty hot enough for searing steaks or boiling up a commercial sized stockpot and even the little rings are more powerful than many large rings on most domestic cookers. The top oven/grill is slow to get to (oven) temp and not so even with it's heat distribution. The grill.....it's fine for toast, cheese on toast, bacon etc but it's not in the same league as a commercial salamander - however, a ridge pan on the wok burner works wonderfully well.

I would now fit a larger version of this in any "dream" kitchen in preference to a commercial cooker (except, maybe a split top Falcon Dominator - but they are so ugly!) Whatever you do, avoid anything made by Lincat or Buffalo.

Make sure also the reg is the right size for the brand and bottle - Calor are 22 mm but MacGas are 21 mm for instance for the same size bottle. WHY can't they standardise them?

Also, check your oxygen depletion sensor/flame failure device. The second's a bimetallic wire that sticks in the flame and is why you need to keep your finger on the hob button while it warms up or the gas cuts out. They are prone to dislodgement with over enthusiastic cleaning. It looks like a little bit of thick wire, usually.

Also, check your oxygen depletion sensor/flame failure device. The second's a bimetallic wire that sticks in the flame and is why you need to keep your finger on the hob button while it warms up or the gas cuts out.

No it isn't. You're shooting from the lip, once again. It's thermocouple.

MtB

Are you related to Naughty Cal?

• Greenie 1

I fitted a very similar range in our (then) Luxemotor, 5 burners, grill and double oven. Supplied from one 27kg bottle with a standard single regulator via 10mm pipework. Never had a problem, rain or shine, sun or snow/ice/freezing conditions and we lived aboard 24/7.

Mime

Edited by Michael Wooding