Smethwick top lock

MtB

Featured Posts

Just had an email from Brenda Ward saying there seems to be a problem with Smethwick top lock, and Smethwick locks are closed.

Anyone know any more about what is wrong with the lock? It's hard to tell from the photo in her email, and the forum software won't let me post it here!

MtB

The photo looks similar to Wolverhampton lock 20 - that the side wall is collapsing due to there being a cavity behind it.

I'm sure Dean Davis will let us know when he knows more

The turn at the top of the Spon locks is fun

Richard

Just had an email from Brenda Ward saying there seems to be a problem with Smethwick top lock, and Smethwick locks are closed.

Anyone know any more about what is wrong with the lock? It's hard to tell from the photo in her email, and the forum software won't let me post it here!

MtB

There is some info in the BCN Stoppages thread.

At Smethwick flight yesterday at first lock just as they where tapping off the paddles! Shame as looking forward to doing that route. Had a look at No 3 and sandstone copping stones dislodged badly--apparently by an ascending boat l was informed. Looked like quite a big job to escavate bricks behind and relocate.

Reversing out managed to collect load of crap on the prop and dislodged rudder--thank goodness for those islands on the BCN mainline took 2 hours to clean off only to collect old tyre on departing

Simon

Having seen the damage I find it hard to believe it was an ascending boat, those blocks weigh an awful lot. Looks more like the work of a wrecking bar and pure vandalism to me.

With my WRG hat on I can say having say that removed many a coping stone that they are remarkably easy to remove and can understand how an ascending boat could lift a section, just not sure how that boat's gunwale managed to get far enough under the stone to lift them.

Tim