Abandoned Boats.....

RedPandaBear

Featured Posts

Hi. I have been looking around for an old boat to buy with the intention of fixing it up and living on it..

I have noticed loads of abandoned looking boats and was wondering a few things. Is there a way to claim abandoned boats? Do the CRT people auction off old boats that they have taken out of the water? Is there any way to find the owner of abandoned boats to see if they want to sell?

First post here so please be kind smile.png thanks!

Nor does the absence of a current license mean it is unlicensed.

Some boaters take a perverse pleasure in licensing their boats but refusing to display it, sometimes on the basis that whether they have a license, or not, is none of your business.

MtB

There is an old cruiser on the Fossdyke at the moment that CRT have towed away to their Lincoln depot because it was causing a navigation hazard, it kept slipping its ropes and coming adrift.

It has been abandoned on the ditch for about 12 months. It had a very bad homemade wheelhouse on it but vandals took that off, which IMO is a good thing it was so bad, and it needs an interior refit however it could make someone a really nice project boat.

It would need a new windscreen and some new canopies but it could make someone a lovely boat again.

CRT are currently trying to track down its owners but seem to be having little joy.

If we had more spare time we would consider buying it and sticking it on a trailer in the driveway at home and having it as a project boat. It could and should make a decent boat again.

It is called Schedule 8. CaRT/BW go through legal process of impounding a boat, giving the original owner every opportunity to reclaim it, and if they don't then ultimately it becomes the clear and legal property of CaRT, who are then in a position to sell it on with full legal title passing to the new owner.

Contact CaRT and ask about sales of Schedule 8 boats. I know one person who successfully bought a nice boat through that process.

Hi. I have been looking around for an old boat to buy with the intention of fixing it up and living on it..

I have noticed loads of abandoned looking boats and was wondering a few things. Is there a way to claim abandoned boats? Do the CRT people auction off old boats that they have taken out of the water? Is there any way to find the owner of abandoned boats to see if they want to sell?

First post here so please be kind smile.png thanks!

this one comes up regularly on here, it may look like some boats are abandoned, but i can assure you there are none. Free boats don't exist full stop.

CRT auction off their seized boats, but they are not cheap, people are willing to bid very high on them. I would say Ebay is your best bet to aquire a project. Think 5 thousand minimum for a narrowboat project. The cheaper the wreck means the more it will cost to rebuild.

heres a good one, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-CANAL-NARROW-BOAT-UNFINISHED-PROJECT-/181191685074?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a2fddb3d2

It is called Schedule 8. CaRT/BW go through legal process of impounding a boat, giving the original owner every opportunity to reclaim it, and if they don't then ultimately it becomes the clear and legal property of CaRT, who are then in a position to sell it on with full legal title passing to the new owner.

Contact CaRT and ask about sales of Schedule 8 boats. I know one person who successfully bought a nice boat through that process.

Q; is the boat the legal property of CRT in the holding period ( used to be 12 months) while they wait for any owner to come forward ? I.E does anyone have the right to keep it in their possesion while making a genuine effort to locate the owner ?

If you do find an abandoned boat please make sure you have enough dosh to finish the abandoned boat so that it does not look abandoned and then we don't get posts about people looking for an abandoned boat to buy or whatever to live on.boat.gif

Edited by bowten