Hole In Boat

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

when i checked my weed hatch it was full of water, so i tried getting it all out by pumping it out but it would just fill up again really quick, my pump can't cope with that amount of water.

what pump would be better.

Edited by Dar Kuma

Forget the pump idea!

Simply engage the prop in forward, with you well clear of the open hatch and this will empty the weed hatch in seconds. The only downside will be that in emptying this area of the boat the displaced water will be inclined to go elsewhere, probably into the engine room, then the cabin.

So, in readiness for this event, I would suggest wearing a good pair of waders, snorkel and goggles. Hope this helps.

Don't try this at home folks!

If you are being serious......... there will ALWAYS be water in the weed hatch if the boat is on the canal/river. This is quite normal and you will not be able to pump it out.

If on the other hand you are having a laugh.........icecream.gif

Check the time he posted that, Pikey!!

:D

MtB

On a more serious note, I think weedhatches are brilliant. What do the owners of dutch style barges and other flat-bottomed boats designed for shallow waters do when they get crap around their props? It must be a nightmare. I know some do have weedhatches but many don't.

alchemyleavingworkshop.jpg

Edited by blackrose

On a more serious note, I think weedhatches are brilliant. What do the owners of dutch style barges and other flat-bottomed boats designed for shallow waters do when they get crap around their props? It must be a nightmare. I know some do have weedhatches but many don't.

alchemyleavingworkshop.jpg

Even without a weed hatch, I'd love a Dutch barge like that tootling along the Canal Du Midi.....

Even without a weed hatch, I'd love a Dutch barge like that tootling along the Canal Du Midi.....

I'd love one too, but if I was having one built I'd try to get them to design it with some sort of weedhatch.

This one could have a weedhatch as it has a counter.

website.jpg

23.jpg

Edited by blackrose

I reckon the best solution to this problem is to install a big fan or compressor and pump it full of air , this will not only remove the water but also help lift the stern a bit so its not dragging the bottom, sort of mini hoverboat!! lol

Edited by hamsterfan

We used to know an elderly couple who owned a lovely coastal wide beam boat that they'd brought onto the L&L canal. No weed hatch, so whenever his two props became entangled with rubbish he'd send his poor wife into the water wearing a wet suit to clear the debris, in all weathers.

The poor woman would have to soak herself in their little bath filled with hot water to regain her normal body temperature?

Edited by Doorman

when i checked my weed hatch it was full of water, so i tried getting it all out by pumping it out but it would just fill up again really quick, my pump can't cope with that amount of water.

what pump would be better.

I have the answer! Walk down to the next lock and open all the paddles, wait a few hours and your weed hatch will be dry! Brilliant ... no pumps involved, all done by gravity! Environmentally friendly as no power consumed!