Nicholson Guides Go Digital

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

After what I understand to be a series of technical hitches, the Nicholson Waterways Books 1 and 4 are finally launched as eBooks in two weeks time - on 15th August. Book 1 covers the Grand Union, Oxford Canals & the South East while Book 4 covers the Four Counties & the Welsh Canals.

They will be available on both the IOS and Android platforms, availalble from the iTunes Store and on Amazon - at £8.99 each. Whilst they in no way compete in the digital marketplace with the Water-Ways e-canalmapp App – being somewhat different products – the two offerings do seem to compliment one another rather neatly.

Nice!

Will be interesting what they actually do, for example will they track you location, which I have found quite useful in the e-canalmap when on rivers like the Severn where there are few features to identity your location. Not as useful on a canal where you normally know where you are from the regular bridges etc. If it did that then I think it is competing with e-canalmap

Will be interesting what they actually do, for example will they track you location, which I have found quite useful in the e-canalmap when on rivers like the Severn where there are few features to identity your location. Not as useful on a canal where you normally know where you are from the regular bridges etc. If it did that then I think it is competing with e-canalmap

No - there isn't any GPS functionality - so horses for courses when choosing which to buy.

Will updates be available?

I've no idea what the frequency of the updating regime will be. However the beauty of the eBooks, from the boaters point of view, is that there is an infinite amount of space within an eBook for note taking - so no more trying to cram one's own notes into an ever decreasing amount of white space on a particular page. Doing one's own 'updating' and 'personalising' therefore becomes a doddle.

<donning my luddite hat>

I find computer based mapping very helpful for planning, but I'm not sure about "out in the field". Most mobile devices don't take kindly to getting wet, and on a boat they are far more vulnerable, and expensive, if they fall in the canal. I also know that Powys CC have devised a series of country walks for use on an Ipad, but they have the caveat that you must download the walk before starting, as if you reach the start point there may be no signal. I guess a non-gps version is okay with this. An IT consultant I know, who is hardly an old fogey at 31, wonders why the hell she would want to take her Ipad when walking!

I also can't help feeling that if we only had ever had computer screens, the printed page would be a startling and useful innovation!

<donning my luddite hat>

I also can't help feeling that if we only had ever had computer screens, the printed page would be a startling and useful innovation!

Indeed. Something you can make a mark on with pen, crayon or piece of charcoal... that you can create a permanent record with... that you can help start a fire with... that you can screw up and throw away or use to wipe your backside... that you can wrap chips in... and all as cheap as those chips themselves. What a stunning invention that would be!

<donning my luddite hat>

Indeed. Something you can make a mark on with pen, crayon or piece of charcoal... that you can create a permanent record with... that you can help start a fire with... that you can screw up and throw away or use to wipe your backside... that you can wrap chips in... and all as cheap as those chips themselves. What a stunning invention that would be!

Probably important that you change the running order of your paper use somewhat ..................................

I bought a NIcholson guide and I wasn't impressed. It seems to be quite thin on useful information for boaters (I have to supplement it with the Waterscape guides), the general info about the places that you pass is a bit weak and it includes some horrible pubs and misses some absolute gems. I haven't got anything to compare it to though. Is it considered better than most?

There's another thread on the usefulness of Google maps on a smartphone. On that I asked about e-canalmapp. But I tried Google map, and there is one massive problem - the screen of a smartphone isn't viewable in strong sunlight. I suspect it might work in duller weather, but rain/etc would render it unusable too. And its sooner or later going to fall in. So I've saved the money and won't be buying e-canalmapp. Regarding Nicholsons, I've always preferred Pearson's guides. We have a transparent food bag with a zip-style closing and if it rains, we'll put it in there.

So what does it give you over using a paper version?

Amongst other things the chance to annotate any page with an infinite number of one's own notes; use of a colour coded highlighting system (good pubs etc = green/bad ones = red); search, define, copy and share functions, together with live links to any content with a web site listed - the bulk of the entries in the latest editions - thereby, in effect, vastly extending the database. Oh, and I believe that it's possible to zoom into both text and maps, which will allow my dodgy eyesight to finally enjoy the finer detail within the Ordance Survey mapping. At £8.99 they're a few quid cheaper than the printed version as well!

• 4 weeks later...

After what I understand to be a series of technical hitches, the Nicholson Waterways Books 1 and 4 are finally launched as eBooks in two weeks time - on 15th August. Book 1 covers the Grand Union, Oxford Canals & the South East while Book 4 covers the Four Counties & the Welsh Canals.

They will be available on both the IOS and Android platforms, availalble from the iTunes Store and on Amazon - at £8.99 each. Whilst they in no way compete in the digital marketplace with the Water-Ways e-canalmapp App – being somewhat different products – the two offerings do seem to compliment one another rather neatly.

Did these ever eventuate - I can't see them on the Apple Store (where I assume they would be) or on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007QOXGE0/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Its available ok - link above

I have never much liked the Nicholson Guides anyway and this digital version has done nothing to improve that. All of the original cluttered interface has been carried through and the maps are shockingly low resolution. Hopefully it will improve over time.

We use both Nikkies and Pearson's on the boat. Nikkies is the one Wynne has up with him at the back and it has our travelling notes scribbled over it (transferring them to a new edition takes a bit of time!). So even accessing the electronic version at home wouldn't be much use because it doesn't have our notes and that's what I need when I'm thinking and planning or giving someone else our thoughts on a route.

If I do want to check thing at home then Canal Plan is the obvious brilliant source - not least because of the images associated with various places - that prompts me to remember what's in my notes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007QOXGE0/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Its available ok - link above

I have never much liked the Nicholson Guides anyway and this digital version has done nothing to improve that. All of the original cluttered interface has been carried through and the maps are shockingly low resolution. Hopefully it will improve over time.

I'm probably misunderstanding the word 'resolution' here, but by double tapping on an individual map you can then pinch it up (2 finger's spread) to a massive scale - to the point where the individual pixels become visible. Every last bit of detail is then visible to those with even the worst eyesight! I'm seeing detail on the OS 1:25000 maps that I've never before noticed.

I'm probably misunderstanding the word 'resolution' here, but by double tapping on an individual map you can then pinch it up (2 finger's spread) to a massive scale - to the point where the individual pixels become visible. Every last bit of detail is then visible to those with even the worst eyesight! I'm seeing detail on the OS 1:25000 maps that I've never before noticed.

Looks quite dreadful to me!

map.jpg