Clarence Dock

Dasque

Featured Posts

This morning there was one NB and one WB on the visitor moorings so a couple of spaces left. It has been very busy though so chancy. Granary wharf is much emptier but more than half the moorings are "private" and charge ~£3 a night

This morning there was one NB and one WB on the visitor moorings so a couple of spaces left. It has been very busy though so chancy. Granary wharf is much emptier but more than half the moorings are "private" and charge ~£3 a night

That charge is not enforceable though.

Link to previous thread

Edited by The Dog House

That charge is not enforceable though.

Link to previous thread

ISIS who runs Granary Wharf have also got rid of the facilities (Toilets/Showers) that were in the Candlehouse. The electric doesn't work on the wooden pontoons, and you may need long electric cables if your moored where the dry docks are and two boats are already using the electric (room for 4 boats, only 2 sockets nearby, but another 2 in the working dry dock).. In addition the water point above granary doesn't work and hasn't done since the car park (also ISIS ran) next too it was erected. The £6/night +1 free charge I believe is only chargeable if your on the hotel side and in one of the docks. Just outside the hotel is unclear, but there's only really room for one boat (lock landing, etc.).

In addition I've heard that the moorings are been put back to CRT's jurisdiction later in the year so who knows what's gonna be what, my guess is like Clarence Dock.

Edited by Robbo

Good to see Dasque has made it to-or nearly to-Leeds. When we had a share we made it as far as rodley but that was 7 years ago. Seems a terrible shame mooring in the city isn't easier though. Leeds just doesn't seem to get canals.

to me it's a bit 'chicken and egg'.

Leeds has the potential to attract more boaters but if it attracted a loads more there would be no capacity for them all.and this in turn would deter people from coming, and until the authorities see a huge rise in demand they will argue there is no need to increase capacity.

It would certainly be nice to see some secure access floating pontoon moorings somewhere on the Aire between Leeds lock and No 1 lock of the L&L, to supplement the ones at Granary Wharf and Clarence Dock.

It would certainly be nice to see some secure access floating pontoon moorings somewhere on the Aire between Leeds lock and No 1 lock of the L&L, to supplement the ones at Granary Wharf and Clarence Dock.

Alot of the river banks areas are privately owned, but one good area is just before the dark arches (loc: 53.79322,-1.548156), this area does have mooring rings but isn't used and is unclear who owns, but it would be nice if boaters start using it again.

It's not just lack of moorings though. I don't really know how some redevelopments work and others are damp squibs. As soon as Brindley place in Birmingham opened it was heavily used but when we visited Leeds there were many shut businesses and a general air of neglect amongst the newly redone buildings.

It's not just lack of moorings though. I don't really know how some redevelopments work and others are damp squibs. As soon as Brindley place in Birmingham opened it was heavily used but when we visited Leeds there were many shut businesses and a general air of neglect amongst the newly redone buildings.

Yeah, it's a real shame that the area seems to be dying. Our belief is that it's too far out of Leeds centre to attract shoppers. It really does need a real effort to kick start (re-start) it.

Bob

Leeds has the potential to attract more boaters but if it attracted a loads more there would be no capacity for them all

If they moved all the private moorings to the other side of the walk bridges in Clarence Dock, it would immediately free up about 10 extra VMs for the city. I honestly think they dont care about boats passing through at all......it's just a money making thing. When you cruise into CD and it's full.....all you have to do is look around and see about 10+ moorings which are seperated off....without good reason. The VMs were all double brested with boats on the weekend. So silly really.

Yeah, it's a real shame that the area seems to be dying. Our belief is that it's too far out of Leeds centre to attract shoppers. It really does need a real effort to kick start (re-start) it.

Bob

It's getting the big new reopening next summer.

If they moved all the private moorings to the other side of the walk bridges in Clarence Dock, it would immediately free up about 10 extra VMs for the city. I honestly think they dont care about boats passing through at all......it's just a money making thing. When you cruise into CD and it's full.....all you have to do is look around and see about 10+ moorings which are seperated off....without good reason. The VMs were all double brested with boats on the weekend. So silly really.

That would only work if the local boaters had access to move the bridges.

Bob

All it needs is a small shopping mall, a range of small music-bars, street performers, and the like, and the place could be fantastic. the locals who live in the buildings are all on the yound side, and the Tesco express has only survived because of the number of residential properties. The Armouries has jousting on Fri/Sat...but if they had street actors doing street drama/sword fights etc , the place would be known as a bit of a "happening area". At the moment it's a lump of marble boredom.....there's nothing to do there at all. In the centre of Leeds, there are often street musicians. They should have a small "free stage" area and get some music going on the weekends. Goodness, why does it take lil ole me to think of these things....Surely it's someone elses job?

It's getting the big new reopening next summer.

That would only work if the local boaters had access to move the bridges.

key, button? :)

Sounds simple don't it?

Unfortunately I believe that the C&RT don't own the moorings, only rent or lease them.

The people in charge want 3 day's notice to open the bridges. Stupid or what?

If boaters could operate the bridges I reckon that would free up much more space for leisure or residential moorings. Leaving the out area for more VMs.

I must say though, that the area under the building is a terrible wind tunnel, and you can't get Sky TV under there!

Bob

Anyone know if the moorings are quieter at weekends or weekdays?

They're quieter on weekdays (observations made during our month-long sojurn on the permanent moorings)

However - there were a number of boats (3!) whom overstayed by over a week on the VM's even though other craft came into the dock, saw there were no moorings, and left. One of these boats was a tupperware of local repute.

In future, when we next visit for 48 hours, if there's no VM spaces - I will breast up. (and if the tupperware's there - I'll breast up to him!!!) [ smile.png ]

(You can warn him Robbo!!)

edited for spelllling

Edited by Grace & Favour

A few years ago in Clarence dock friends of ours experienced a lot of noise on a Saturday night from a party in one of the flats that went on till about 6 am. In the morning they discovered they'd had glasses with alcohol smashed over their boat. Rather ironic when the residential boaters there had a set of stringent t&c s which even included not being able to keep flowers on their boats. Seems boaters aren't to offend flat dwellers but not much consideration for boaters.