Nice Tug

mark99

Featured Posts

Couldn't Dominic at least have removed the dangly plastic fenders for the outside photographs!

Nice though Norton Canes boats are, the balance of this one doesn't work for me - too much cabin - not enough tug deck.

A boat-builder convinced me that to look "right" the actual decked area needs to be a minimum of about 7 feet, and ideally 8 feet or more.

I've no idea why, because even then it is hardly like many tugs, but he was right I think - too much cabin, and not enough deck, and you lose the "tug" effect.

Couldn't Dominic at least have removed the dangly plastic fenders for the outside photographs!

Well, it could have been much worse than that. He could have had filled plastic milk containers weighing down his tarps! :-)

Yes, I had a look and liked Firefly very much. That would be the sort of thing I'd like if I had a narrowboat again :)

It's ok if you like shiney boats. Nicely done but a little pedestrian really, lots like that about wink.png

Now FIREFLY is interesting, as you mentiond tugs!

MtB

Nice though Norton Canes boats are, the balance of this one doesn't work for me - too much cabin - not enough tug deck.

A boat-builder convinced me that to look "right" the actual decked area needs to be a minimum of about 7 feet, and ideally 8 feet or more.

I've no idea why, because even then it is hardly like many tugs, but he was right I think - too much cabin, and not enough deck, and you lose the "tug" effect.

I think it might be something to do with the "golden section" ie it's about proportions rather than absolute length. I doubt anyone ever designed a boat on this principle but every so often you see on that just looks right eg. Firefly, though in achieving this aesthetic you doubtless end up with something that isn't very practical.

Having said that, how could someone buy a pug ugly widebeam when there are boats like this around?

Well it's under offer already. They do not hang around those NC narrowboats do they despite not having some arbitary proportion or other.

Edited by mark99