L & L canal

DeanS

Featured Posts

Well....I can honestly say that the L & L from Wigan on, is luvverly...I'm very impressed...full of trees, and definately competing with the Bridgewater as my favourite patch. Sure, you have to do the Wigan 23 to get here, but it's worth it in my opinion. ....and I've only just started the trip. (for those following the gearbox thread, I waited all day for the engine supplier to call back. Cheshire boats did call me back, and was happy that I had called the engine suppliers direct. The engine supplier eventually called to say PRM would call me within 24hrs. I left Wigan and pulled up in Adlington...so not a very long trip (1-2hrs?) ....but loving it :) If the rest of the canal is this nice...it's going to be fantastic.

Enjoy while it lasts !! After Skipton, the swing bridges "kick in". But, if you have a wood burner, your on the right canal..

Oops, just to add, you will pass me at Riley Green, about 5 hrs and Johnsons Hillock Locks from Adlington. PM me if you want a lift up the flight.

We will meet up somewhere! I am heading down the Calder and Hebble, will reach Wakefield tomorrow. You can be like Darren72 and stalk me on water explorer when we get close :-) PS, heading up Leeds & Liverpool.

Edited by Kiwidad

Nice one Dean :clapping:

The L&L is gorgeous with only a few grim bits that are quickly passed - it's unfortunate that the grim bits are emphasied too much.

Well done you for a positive thread on a lovely canal.

We will meet up somewhere! I am heading down the Calder and Hebble, will reach Wakefield tomorrow. You can be like Darren72 and stalk me on water explorer when we get close :-) PS, heading up Leeds & Liverpool.

We're currently on teh Aire and Calder Navigation - just to the East of Leeds - and slowly moving East

Give us a wave if you see us (as I will you!)

Have a good trip KWD

I survived the 23 locks yesterday - just! Teamed up with Richard & Sue (forgot to note their boat name). It was lucky we arrived at the same time as there was very little traffic. Only one boat went down and no sign of any coming after us.

It took 7.5 hours for the 21 flight, including a lunch break. Main reason was low water in the pounds - we went aground a few times which necessitated going up to the next lock and opening the paddles to let more water down - which meant the next pound was emptied. With another person we could have sent someone ahead but with just 3 of us it did not seem practical. Even got a bit of help from a couple of local lads in return for letting them travel up a bit on my boat - boredom soon set in though and off they went to relieve the boredom by jumping in the locks. Their favourite is to open a top paddle, jump in and get washed down to the ladder - youth has no concept of danger! This no doubt is one of the causes of the low water!

If I ever do the flight again I will do it going down to alleviate the low water risk.

Moored up in a lovely spot between bridges 60&61 at Haigh Hall Country park, with the luxury of pilings which I have not had for weeks.

One disaster was losing my hose reel. Richard opened one of the top paddles (bottom one was not working) a bit quick and it must have been washed off the top of the gas locker and none of us noticed until I went to fill up at the top of the flight. Also gave the carpet in the bedroom a soaking!

In case it is of assistance to others the routine we used was:

Richard opened bottom gates and closed them behind us then opened bottom paddle on his side and the top after water had risen a bit. I then climbed up and opened paddles on my side.

When full he opened gate his side and walked up to set the next lock. I closed the gate as I came out. Quite a few paddles were inoperative and most of the locks needed at least partial emptying - leakage and local youths?

We're currently on teh Aire and Calder Navigation - just to the East of Leeds - and slowly moving East Give us a wave if you see us (as I will you!) Have a good trip KWD

How will I recognize you? Now moored in Wakefield

Well....I can honestly say that the L & L from Wigan on, is luvverly...I'm very impressed...full of trees, and definately competing with the Bridgewater as my favourite patch. Sure, you have to do the Wigan 23 to get here, but it's worth it in my opinion. ....and I've only just started the trip. (for those following the gearbox thread, I waited all day for the engine supplier to call back. Cheshire boats did call me back, and was happy that I had called the engine suppliers direct. The engine supplier eventually called to say PRM would call me within 24hrs. I left Wigan and pulled up in Adlington...so not a very long trip (1-2hrs?) ....but loving it smile.png If the rest of the canal is this nice...it's going to be fantastic.

We're out and about at present, but we moor in Leeds, and the L&L is our favourite canal for scenery.

Enjoy it in this lovely sunshine. If you have a crew the swing bridges aren't that bad.

Stop off in Clarence Dock for the Armouries and Leeds market.

Bob

We are now moored in the MIDDLE OF NO WHERE...and loving it:)

Ah - are you sure it's the 'middle' of nowhere - - and not just to one side of the 'middle' - or even quite some distance from the middle?

How were you able to ascertain where 'nowhere' began, (and where it ends) - for surely you needs to determine those points in order to assess where the 'middle' is?

:)

You're right.

I'm in the middle of SOMEWHERE smile.pngclapping.gif

I am at East Marton for the the next couple of weeks,that's just before the Bank Newton set of locks.Good pub called the Cross Keys and Cafe at the moorings nearby.Worth a stop for a couple of days.Just to add the water level is quite low here and down through to Gargrave,I had to help Richard's Hire Boat ISABELA,is that the right spelling?through a low pound just before the Anchor Inn at Gargrave.We towed her out when she ran aground.