Software and apps for boating

Alanji

Featured Posts

I compiled a list of what I use for someone and thought it worth posting here.

Much of the info on facilities in Nicholsons is unreliable – even in the 2012 edition which I have. I would not be without them though.

e-canal maps are good for facilities, seeing exactly where you are and what speed you are doing at £5.99 per region.

http://www.kiwiobjects.com/en/…..Phone.html is a really excellent app. Logbook showing position with photograph if desired, notes and a map showing where you have been as well as comprehensive expenditure analysis, lists, reminders, fuel costs etc. Well worth the £2.99 and you can try free – put in your own details and ignore their example. Only available for iphone and ipad, though. Worth buying an iphone just to use this!

canalplan.eu for route planning – free and excellent

waterexplorer.co.uk for map and realtime gps including distance to next lock, winding, bridge, junction etc and you can save routes travelled. Free but you need a gps device to use the realtime map.

Aroundme and nearme apps for doing what they say – either free or 69p

And of course Google Maps on the phone and laptop for locating something specific.

I know virtually nothing about apps for smart/mobile phones. I assume that most of them work via an internet connection? For me, that would involve extra costs as my contract doesn't have an internet access option because I chose unlimited landline instead. To use the internet on my phone is consequently horrendously expensive. I could use something like this on my laptop, but that's impractical for cruising. I'd love to have something like this, but If I'm right in my assumptions, I wouldn't be able to afford it. sad.png

I know virtually nothing about apps for smart/mobile phones. I assume that most of them work via an internet connection? For me, that would involve extra costs as my contract doesn't have an internet access option because I chose unlimited landline instead. To use the internet on my phone is consequently horrendously expensive. I could use something like this on my laptop, but that's impractical for cruising. I'd love to have something like this, but If I'm right in my assumptions, I wouldn't be able to afford it. sad.png

e-canalmaps and Boat Manager need no internet access - download on laptop and transfer to phone

Have you seen the thread on the new three contract - £15 per month for 12 month contract or £18 monthly contract for unlimited download which you can use for your laptop as well. As well as 2000 minutes and 5000 texts.

I got the e-canal map for the midlands by virtue of the free offer from RCR, and as I said on a thread specifically about that app it was a bit dissapointing as on iPhone it really does not zoom enough. Not used it on the boat until this week, as it did not seem that useful, but having spent the week on the Severn and now the Avon, it has proved very useful are there are few landmarks in many of the sections and it of course shows you exactly where you are. So for rivers to me it is useful.

you're not.

Well not all apps. The wonderful ukmap works offline, using internet purely to load up data. A map that only works online is of limited use in my experience

Have to agree (blimey), ukmaps is excellent, proper ordinance survey maps, great on an iPhone/iPad with GPS to know where you are.