Four Strings Good.

grahame r

Featured Posts

I'm so glad Bob Dylan, Morrissey, Johnny Cash et.al didn't bump into Bizzard in their formative years. Like Lawrie Booth, I remember a teacher walking around the choir and telling kids of 9 or 10 to mime. Yes, I was one of them and am still bitter.angry.png

After a little practice, you may be able to play like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

Unfortunately not. A more realistic target may be a recogniseable rendition of "Me Little Stick of Blackpool Rock" late at night after copious amounts of achohol have been consumed by performer and audience. Unless of course you have perfect pitch, which is when you throw a Ukulele and it lands on a piano accordion.

I'm so glad Bob Dylan, Morrissey, Johnny Cash et.al didn't bump into Bizzard in their formative years. Like Lawrie Booth, I remember a teacher walking around the choir and telling kids of 9 or 10 to mime. Yes, I was one of them and am still bitter.angry.png

You are bloody right to be bitter! I meet so many adults who 'can't sing' for that very reason

Richard

We must of been at the same school

:)

I think that people can draw, no matter what they were told at school...

My OH (an art graduate) also believed that anyone can be taught how to draw...until she met me.

She now believes that anyone can be taught to draw with the exception of one person.

I was actually banned from singing at school

sad.png

I was begged by my teacher not to choose Art as one of my O'level options.

seen a guy on sunday [busker] playing motzart on a uke,with a strap on harmonica while cycling a unicycle and wearing a crazy wig now that is talent.crusty the clown eat yer heart out.

is it true that george formby only knew a couple of chords so had his ukes tuned up or down to suit?

lotta uke orchestras over here and every music shop seems to have loads in the windows,some beauts like the martin.they were selling them in lidl a while back,meant to get one but forgot.the reviews of them on the net were not bad and good enough to learn on.

I've been sat at the back & not paying attention so the points may have been covered but. Formby was well compitent but apparently had problems with tuning the little beasts so had a number of instruments available with jam lables on the back showing what key the uke was tuned in. This info from an old Gent in Scarbourgh who worked the halls in his youth.

i just right clicked on it in youtube and hit copy video url then hit paste in here and up she pops.

Finally got embed to work ..... I tried what you said in Firefox and got nada, however, in Google Chrome it worked a treat, thank.

I'm fed up with people going on about the saucey image of the ukulele, I blame George Formby, if you wanted a double entendre he'd give you one. Anyway to encourage you to start playing here's a video of a man strumming my girl's pussy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVILRvy1gA It may take you a little longer than a month or so to play like this.

Respect!

I just had to watch this having first laughed at the title. The guy plays such a small instrument really well and it certainly opened my eyes to what was wrongfully thought of as a 'toy' instrument.

In my case, to cram all of my fingers onto that tiny fretboard would be a challenge to say the least. I play a classical guitar and am used to the spacious fretboard and string arrangement. I am tempted to try a five string banjo though and that slender neck appears to be even narrower than that of the uke.

seen a guy on sunday [busker] playing motzart on a uke,with a strap on harmonica while cycling a unicycle and wearing a crazy wig now that is talent.crusty the clown eat yer heart out.

is it true that george formby only knew a couple of chords so had his ukes tuned up or down to suit?

lotta uke orchestras over here and every music shop seems to have loads in the windows,some beauts like the martin.they were selling them in lidl a while back,meant to get one but forgot.the reviews of them on the net were not bad and good enough to learn on.

Formby certainly used tunings other than the standard, but whilst not a great player was more than competent. His career was very carefully managed by his formidable wife Beryl who ensured that his reputation on and off the screen remained that of a loveable idiot. He was always in character and never discussed money or business matters for fear of showing how shrewd he really was. If he didn't want to mix with certain people he'd say he'd love to go out for a drink with them but "Beryl only gives me five bob a week pocketmoney". Claiming only to know 2 or 3 chords is typical of this self efacing strategy. Despite being hard nosed Beryl new right from wrong and after being thrown out of South Africa for entertaining black audiences and even embracing a black child who gave her a bouquet, she told the leader of the then National Party "Why don't you piss off you horrible little man" That was in 1946, Good on Yer Beryl.

Edited by grahame r

Formby certainly used tunings other than the standard, but whilst not a great player was more than competent. His career was very carefully managed by his formidable wife Beryl who ensured that his reputation on and off the screen remained that of a loveable idiot. He was always in character and never discussed money or business matters for fear of showing how shrewd he really was. If he didn't want to mix with certain people he'd say he'd love to go out for a drink with them but "Beryl only gives me five bob a week pocketmoney". Claiming only to know 2 or 3 chords is typical of this self efacing strategy. Despite being hard nosed Beryl new right from wrong and after being thrown out of South Africa for entertaining black audiences and even embracing a black child who gave her a bouquet, she told the leader of the then National Party "Why don't you piss off you horrible little man" That was in 1946, Good on Yer Beryl.

i like her style.it would make a good book or film.

Doorman

Try this one too:

Stop it Graham!

This is all too much to take in on a single day. The guy's a genius!

Despite being hard nosed Beryl new right from wrong and after being thrown out of South Africa for entertaining black audiences and even embracing a black child who gave her a bouquet, she told the leader of the then National Party "Why don't you piss off you horrible little man" That was in 1946, Good on Yer Beryl.

Where was she from, Wigan?

If so, this would explain her 'no nonsense' approach to life. Pie eaters don't suffer fools lightly.

Edited by Doorman

Stop it Graham!

This is all too much to take in on a single day. The guy's a genius!

Where was she from, Wigan?

If so, this would explain her 'no nonsense' approach to life. Pie eaters don't suffer fools lightly.

She was quite famous in her own right as a clog dancer before becoming George's manager/wife. You couldn't make it up.