Going Through the Glory Hole Lincoln

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi in september five boats go to Boston! Every year we go out for a two week holiday, this year we have chosen Boston and beyond for it. The question is will I have to drop my wheelhouse to go through the Glory hole?

My wheelhouse is 8 foot high at the edges and 11 foot wide at its widest. Overall it is 8 foot 6 inches at its highest point. I know that the glory hole will allow a 15 foot beam boat through and it is 2.90 meters at its highest point its just how quickly it curves down is my worry. I watched Naughty Cals video and it was helpfull and tomorrow I will go to Lincoln to take a gander. But I was hoping that one of you intrepid navigators had been there with something similar before me.

Thanks for your anticipated replies

Peter

If its been raining it can "pull" quick as you get towords the bridge,If your not sure stop at the CRT water point and drop your wheel house.Been through with our two breested up and not had to duck on the back,but think you sould still go and have a look.

We go through with our hoods up which makes our air draft 9ft ish. But our beam is only 8ft 2.

They do thread some surprisingly big boats through that bridge. We are currently moored just next to it but not a lot of boat movements today. Weather must have put them off!

We go through with our hoods up which makes our air draft 9ft ish. But our beam is only 8ft 2.

They do thread some surprisingly big boats through that bridge. We are currently moored just next to it but not a lot of boat movements today. Weather must have put them off!

Are there moorings in Brayford Pool now, then, or are you moored further down, near the 'arching' sculpture?

Are there moorings in Brayford Pool now, then, or are you moored further down, near the 'arching' sculpture?

We are moored opposite Wilkinsons right next to the Glory Hole outside the Waterside centre. 14 day moorings. Not really ideal for wider boats as the navigation here isn't that wide to start with. But safe and secure with mooring rings.

They have put some extra visitor moorings in Brayford Pool but at the opposite end of the pool outside the Lincoln Marina office. Quite short pontoons so not really suitable for narrowboats and very shallow near the bank so bows in.

Despite what some seem to think there are plenty of visitor moorings to hand in Lincoln if you know where to look.

Also moorings available topside of Stamp End Lock on the wall.

Currently moored here:

null-17.jpg

These are 14 day moorings right in the heart of Lincoln. Pretty busy during the day as you would expect from a city centre but surprisingly quiet during the evening and with in walking distance of loads if great pubs.

Hi, Naughty Cal went past your boat today when we went to look at the Glory hole. We spoke to another couple who were moored near the Green Dragon theirs is a large cruiser and they advised us to walk the boat through the bridge. We will give this a go as it does look as though we will fit through even though the inner arches look lower. The couple had decided to sit out the wind today rather than risk a scrape. Thanks for the info on mooring as their will be five boats nearly all widebeams we will take up a lump of space.

Peter

Hi, Naughty Cal went past your boat today when we went to look at the Glory hole. We spoke to another couple who were moored near the Green Dragon theirs is a large cruiser and they advised us to walk the boat through the bridge. We will give this a go as it does look as though we will fit through even though the inner arches look lower. The couple had decided to sit out the wind today rather than risk a scrape. Thanks for the info on mooring as their will be five boats nearly all widebeams we will take up a lump of space.

Peter

Will be fascinated to learn of your trip, Peter - I - like you - have wondered whether we can get through without dropping the wheelhouse (8'4" airdraft across 9')

Will be fascinated to learn of your trip, Peter - I - like you - have wondered whether we can get through without dropping the wheelhouse (8'4" airdraft across 9')

That should be fine.

We are 9' across 8'2" and have loads of room through the Glory Hole. We have been through fairly skewif as well.

Trick is not to dither or the wind will catch you. Line up for the bridge and go for it.

The road bridge near the Green Dragon is a gnats lower but easier to navigate as its a shallower and smoother arch.

Peter

Should have popped in for a swift drink.

NC goes through as she was yesterday with just the nab gear arch removed.

Hi,

Here are a couple more pictures I took, I trust there isn't much water going through now if you are legging it?

100_5192.JPG

Looking West

100_5187.JPG

100_5189.JPG

100_5193.JPG

Looking back

100_5196.JPG

Stamp End

Taken on the day of the Thames Pageant last year, David

Did you purposefully wait until there was no one around to check it would fit?

Even now we still get people asking us if NC will fit through with the hoods up. Stock answer is "Guess we will find out in a minute" which usually gets a large audience waiting for the impactlaugh.png

A sunny saturday afternoon is a good time to head through if you want as big an audience as possiblerolleyes.gif

That should be fine.

We are 9' across 8'2" and have loads of room through the Glory Hole. We have been through fairly skewif as well.

Trick is not to dither or the wind will catch you. Line up for the bridge and go for it.

The road bridge near the Green Dragon is a gnats lower but easier to navigate as its a shallower and smoother arch.

Should have popped in for a swift drink.

NC goes through as she was yesterday with just the nab gear arch removed.

Thanks for that info, R......

We did pop in to the Green Dragon for a swift drink! Barman very good but he seems annoyed with the floating tearoom and the constant moorer with wood all over his roof! His beef with the tearoom was over busness rates which are high in Lincoln I tried to explain about business licences for boats but it went over his head.Anyway we are going to have a go and we will take pictures as we always do

Peter

Did you purposefully wait until there was no one around to check it would fit?

Even now we still get people asking us if NC will fit through with the hoods up. Stock answer is "Guess we will find out in a minute" which usually gets a large audience waiting for the impact:lol:

A sunny saturday afternoon is a good time to head through if you want as big an audience as possible:rolleyes:

Oh you are such a tease! living up to the naughty name.

Phil