1st trip on narrowboat.

wullie

Featured Posts

I am planing on buying a narrowboat but i want to take advice on the various forums, i was wondering the best part of the system to hire a boat, its more just to get the hang of it and get the feel of it. I plan to take a few hollidays to make sure i can do all that is required and build my knowladge going into locks steering etc, so looking for easy route for my first time.boat.gifboat.gifboat.gif

I am planing on buying a narrowboat but i want to take advice on the various forums, i was wondering the best part of the system to hire a boat, its more just to get the hang of it and get the feel of it. I plan to take a few hollidays to make sure i can do all that is required and build my knowladge going into locks steering etc, so looking for easy route for my first time.boat.gifboat.gifboat.gif

Stoke Golding to Braunston and back would be my suggestion.

Why not stay up there and do the Union/Forth & Clyde. Black Prince or Alvechurch have good boats and you'd get to do the Falkirk Wheel now and visit the Kelpies if you don't go just yet!

Lots of routes down in the middle of England, lots of good hire boats. You could go out and back or do a 'ring' route. It depends on how much time you have; if you want to get the feel of the whole thing and relax and have no pressure, then plan accordingly. Do you want countryside or cities, lots of locks or only a few?

Our first trip (lots of years ago) was on the Llangollen which is a popular route for good reason! Every route you think of will have new boaters and experienced boaters on it. Don't worry about doing locks or anything else; it's all pretty straightforward and boaters are great at helping each other.

Llangollen gets incredibly busy in school hols, so much so that we have been known to tie up for a week over half term and sit it out. We went on train trips, returning to cruising after schools went back.

I suggest you find the most convenient location for you to take an RYA helmsman's course. Then, as you say you intend to take several holidays to gain experience, you will have the chance to choose different locations in which to hire. A route with both broad and narrow locks would give good initial experience - e.g Napton to Fenny Compton on the south Oxford and return past Napton through Braunston, on the Grand Union, to Norton Junction and return. If you are not fully convinced about buying your own boat, you could consider the share boat opportunities, possibly on two or more boats in different locations to vary your route options.

Llangollen gets incredibly busy in school hols, so much so that we have been known to tie up for a week over half term and sit it out. We went on train trips, returning to cruising after schools went back.

That's a bit odd, yes it gets busy but its not a reason to give up and not move. Its not like the M25! I find the business can kind of help, the locks are easy to do so they don't take long, and often there will be boats coming and going so the gates can be left open etc, and there's others around to assist too. Also, you get a chance to talk to other boaters at locks. It would be a boring holiday if you didn't talk to other boaters. Yes you could do it at other places but locks are a natural converging point.

I think the good old Staffs & Worcs is still my favourite canal. One of Mr. Brindleys finest. I'd rather be pottering along there than waiting in queues on the Llangollen.

Totaly agree. Though neither would be my first choice in my opinion the Llangollen is very very very very very overated. There are many places with better scenery and apart from the long bridge thingy its certainly not worth the treck.

Tim

Totaly agree. Though neither would be my first choice in my opinion the Llangollen is very very very very very overated. There are many places with better scenery and apart from the long bridge thingy its certainly not worth the treck.

Tim

You forgot to type in your first choice.

Train to Manchester...to Stockton Heath....Thorne Marine...hire a day boat.....travel 5hrs to Castlefield...then 3hrs up the Rochdale 9...get to the top, turn and go back down...3 hrs down...5hrs back to Thorne. 16hr day, but by the end of it you would know how to do locks, AND you would have travelled on the lovely Bridgewater canal.

This is tongue and cheek. :)

but you could......in summer....

You forgot to type in your first choice.

I have not got one but. York to Ripon is fab. The caldon is fab. L and L gargrave to skipton, K and A through the savernake forest, Radcot to Lechlade on the Thames. Many bits of the Trent some of the Shroppie, The maccie and Peak forest and many others but the Llangollen is well worth a miss. Of course only my opinion.

Tim

If you intend to use the boat all year I would recommend taking a holiday between Nov-March as well as in the summer to see how you get on with the more inclement weather (actually much like now I guess) .

The Llangollen is a good place to start, most of the locks and lift bridges work well and plenty of people about to chat - which is all part of the enjoyment of canals.

It would help to know roughly where you live. No point in travelling hundreds of miles to a hire co., if there is an equally good option nearer to you.

The Llangollen or a ring on a popular canal will probably suit you fine, as they suit so many holidaymakers. Just remember you won't be leaving the world behind altogether, and the wealth of humankind on the bank are represented on the canals too. So you'll find helpful people, chatty people, and folks who would rather die than meet your eye. After 20 years mainly holiday boating on a shared boat, I've done everything wrong at least once and so will you. I'd agree the Llangollen may be busy but chatting in a lock queue may be fun for a newbie, and informative. A day spent in a marina moving boats with a 70-something was the most valuable lesson I ever received. Like slowing down will help you in most situations and avoid aggravation. Many canals are shallow so move over for oncoming boats, but don't be bullied by fast oncoming boats into grounding too close to either side. If you can't go on a course, read up on boat-handling, manoevring without thrashing the prop, and learn the value of a centre rope for control from the bank. "Private boat versus Holiday boat" - meaningless. Some hire boaters know more than some steerers on gin palaces, and vice-versa. (And enjoy yourself, of course, though the moment you relax is the moment the front aims for the bank without you noticing).

• Greenie 1

It would help to know roughly where you live. No point in travelling hundreds of miles to a hire co., if there is an equally good option nearer to you.

i am in Scotland, i know i could hire in Edinburgh but would rather go south, i worked along the tow path for a few years on many of canals and this is where my dream was born, now nearly getting to the point of buying my own boat after 15 years dreaming i want to get feel of it again do a few hollidays winter and summer to check out my feelings on this wonderfull way of life.

The Llangollen or a ring on a popular canal will probably suit you fine, as they suit so many holidaymakers. Just remember you won't be leaving the world behind altogether, and the wealth of humankind on the bank are represented on the canals too. So you'll find helpful people, chatty people, and folks who would rather die than meet your eye. After 20 years mainly holiday boating on a shared boat, I've done everything wrong at least once and so will you. I'd agree the Llangollen may be busy but chatting in a lock queue may be fun for a newbie, and informative. A day spent in a marina moving boats with a 70-something was the most valuable lesson I ever received. Like slowing down will help you in most situations and avoid aggravation. Many canals are shallow so move over for oncoming boats, but don't be bullied by fast oncoming boats into grounding too close to either side. If you can't go on a course, read up on boat-handling, manoevring without thrashing the prop, and learn the value of a centre rope for control from the bank. "Private boat versus Holiday boat" - meaningless. Some hire boaters know more than some steerers on gin palaces, and vice-versa. (And enjoy yourself, of course, though the moment you relax is the moment the front aims for the bank without you noticing).

What a good post!

Best advice I ever got when we first hired as a newbie years ago was "the centrerope is your friend" - shouted with a smile by a friendly privateer - kept going round and round in my head until I tried it - and got it.

Tim

I would agree with that. Very overated, narrow, shallow, lots of waiting around at passing places.

i am in Scotland, i know i could hire in Edinburgh but would rather go south, i worked along the tow path for a few years on many of canals and this is where my dream was born, now nearly getting to the point of buying my own boat after 15 years dreaming i want to get feel of it again do a few hollidays winter and summer to check out my feelings on this wonderfull way of life.

The easiest place to get to from Scotland would be the Lancaster canal, there's a couple of hire companies on there, there's even locks if you go down to Glasson Dock. It's a good place to get the feel of things.