Owls-where are they all?

Mrs Trackman

Featured Posts

Great shot of the barn owl at Tyle mill we are heading there for tonight and hopoe to catch sight of one ,there were another pair that hunted the overgrown field a hundred metres or so below the pipe bridge at Woolhampton last year . .

Most reliable place we found and they fly most of the day here is the steep bank of Farmoor ressie on the Thames right on the 24hr mooring just above Pinkhill lock .

Qwls aside the Bird we have seen in greater numbers than normal this year is the Hobbie there are a couple of pairs hunting over the wetland bit by Fobney lock on the Kennet a pair at the promenade bit above caversham Bridge on the Thames 2 pairs around Child Beale section of the Thames and a pair at South stoke again on the Thames.

They don`t half motor when they fly by the boat chasing dragonflys ,well makes you jump sometimes

CWDF did a great job finding kingfishers, anyone any recommendations of good mooring spots to hear or better still see owls?

Hi

Par up on Sawley cut and walk to the field at the back of the Plank and leg it plastic pub. There are a pair of Barn owls there most every evening.

Tim

I'm told the birding term is "Gis" for general identification signs. The other term is slang for a bodily fluid!

Great to hear about the Hobby sightings too. I'm very jealous about those!

If you are referring to the unconscious combining of characteristics to form an identification, I have never heard it pronounced of spelled or pronounced anything but "jizz". Even the British Trust for Ornithology spell it jizz.

It may also be slang but it has been:

Jizz is a term used by birders to describe the overall impression or appearance of a bird garnered from such features as shape, posture,...

all my life which is well over 60 years.

Edited by Jerra

Didn't spot any unfortunately but I'm sure I heard the lovely hooting of the Tawny owls at dusk whilst moored up on the Weston branch of the Monty just a couple of weeks ago but some folks we were with dismissed it saying it was just the wind howling across the fields.

Hi

Par up on Sawley cut and walk to the field at the back of the Plank and leg it plastic pub. There are a pair of Barn owls there most every evening.

Tim

Thanks for that. Good tip. Will look next time we are there.

If you are referring to the unconscious combining of characteristics to form an identification, I have never heard it pronounced of spelled or pronounced anything but "jizz". Even the British Trust for Ornithology spell it jizz.

It may also be slang but it has been:

all my life which is well over 60 years.

Jerra, you may be right about the pronunciation and spelling often used now, but it is definitely based on the acronym I gave, GIS, General Identification Signs.

It means exactly what you described, the indications of species identity that you pick up as you get familiar with a species, that allow quick identification without conscious thought.

Spent the evening watching one at Hopwas wood about 200m along the moorings from the school. Was a few weeks ago.

Paul

Another good tip and place we like to moor, though get fed up with the local dog lovers who regard the towpath there as their dogs toilet. Last time we stopped there we had a huge pile deposited, and left, right by our exit from our boat within half an hour of mooring. Sorry, that's off topic.