Chester, Dee Branch

Heartland

Featured Posts

The Dee Branch was in use on a yearly basis as the trip boats on the Dee in the 60s early 70s were maintained in the Taylor boatyard and adjacent dry dock over the winter. In the 90s a North Cheshire Cruising Club annual cruise saw several boats lock down onto the the river and over the weir.The gate in the weir was under the control of the electricity board and gave an extra 18" of draught. The whole exercise could only be undertaken on 4 highest Spring tides of the year.H W at Chester about 1h 42 mins before London Bridge. Above the weir the river is navigable on a 3ft draught to Farndon some 12 miles.

• 2 months later...

Chance 2 is indeed up for sale.

The history of this boat is very sketchy as lots have said. Is there a semi hard conclusion as to what this boat is. If it is a chance and hunt boat is it number 2? Ive looked at the list of boats and there are 2 number 2s. If it was number 2 it was a cabined wooden open boat. Then it never went to toc as some have said.

Anyways its a boat im intrested in although needs lots of work. But want to be sure or almost sure on the history.

I know about the engine ect. The plan would be to get it back to glory but want to be sure of the history as said. If was a diffrent c&h boat which? I know its been spoke about as said im intrested in the boat but cant justify convincing the wife and doing the work if there is going to be a lot of dowt once done if its the actual boat as ill just be dowting it myself for ever. And i want to get a boat that can be saved and enjoyed unless someone can convince umea to be sold as a toc or fmc with bolinder is the only motor ill ever buy. But chance 2 would make a lovely butty.

others have said you can see where the tanks in chance 2 use to be this would then either make it a diffrent c&h boat or tco boat. Any ways any help would be good.

Edited by billybobbooth

The history of this boat is very sketchy as lots have said. Is there a semi hard conclusion as to what this boat is. If it is a chance and hunt boat is it number 2? Ive looked at the list of boats and there are 2 number 2s. If it was number 2 it was a cabined wooden open boat. Then it never went to toc as some have said.

Anyways its a boat im intrested in although needs lots of work. But want to be sure or almost sure on the history.

I know about the engine ect. The plan would be to get it back to glory but want to be sure of the history as said. If was a diffrent c&h boat which? I know its been spoke about as said im intrested in the boat but cant justify convincing the wife and doing the work if there is going to be a lot of dowt once done if its the actual boat as ill just be dowting it myself for ever. And i want to get a boat that can be saved and enjoyed unless someone can convince umea to be sold as a toc or fmc with bolinder is the only motor ill ever buy. But chance 2 would make a lovely butty.

others have said you can see where the tanks in chance 2 use to be this would then either make it a diffrent c&h boat or tco boat. Any ways any help would be good.

You would be better off buying "Monnow" as at least the history of that craft is fairly certain. and they are TCO boats btw not toc!

We did look at monnow. Think that is too far gone for me to convince the wife all though if i could i would happly buy both monnow and umea.

Sorry my brain was on tco and finger writing toc

The history of this boat is very sketchy as lots have said. Is there a semi hard conclusion as to what this boat is.

I am not aware of any credible information coming forward since it was discussed earlier in this thread to prove that this boat was Chance & Hunt Ltd. fleet number 2. If anything it was suggested earlier in this thread (post number 9 by Ian Mac) that the pleasure boat CHANCE 2 originally had a fore cabin. I have checked the B.C.N. gauge registers for all boats of Chance & Hunt Ltd. with the fleet number 2 and non indicate a fore cabin being present when gauged, and non indicate a fore cabin being fitted subsequently.

Why does the evidence of tanks being fitted in this boat make it either a Chance & Hunt Ltd. boat or a Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd boat ? I did mention earlier in this thread that I have evidence (not heresay) of about a dozen traders on the B.C.N. that used tank boats, and in my opinion this boat could have come from any of these or indeed a carrier off the B.C.N. captain.gif

edit - add a little detail

Edited by pete harrison

I have a record that you had a former Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. wooden butty in 1974, along with ALBERT and PICTOR - but my record has a conflict in so much as it states your boat was Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. 88 and B.C.N. gauge 2272. I have extensive records of B.C.N. gaugings and 2272 was Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. 89 - Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. 88 being B.C.N. 2271. I am sure I have a record somewhere that this boat ended its days on the banks of the River Trent, somewhere around Sawley, but I can not find this reference at present.

captain.gif

If you enter: -

52°51'58.19" N 1°20'04.16" W

Into Google Earth Search

You will be taken to that spot on The Trent at Shardlow where the wooden boat reputed to be Albert was lying. If you then turn the time date (Top tool bar of Google Earth) back to Dec 31 2001 you will see it. It doesn't seem to exist there after that date.

I believe the T stud was removed and formed the one for the back end of Marcellus which became the front end of a new boat called Marcel. (Now't to do with me!)

Likewise put: -

52°52'22.47" N 1°20'04.38" W

Into Google Earth and then place street view where the marker is.

You'll see the back end of an iron butty that was dragged out of The Thames pre 2000.

It's been sitting at Chapel Farm ever since.

I guess by now it'll have the consistency of Nottingham Lace.