water proofs?

Featured Posts

Am I missing something here? Why would anybody be wearing waterproofs in dry weather? (My Bold)

:lol:

:unsure:

in case it rains?

no.i think it was a coat you wear to keep warm in cold dry weather which also happens to be waterproof

laugh.png

unsure.png

in case it rains?

no.i think it was a coat you wear to keep warm in cold dry weather which also happens to be waterproof

I thank you. Brief and to the point.

It is a little known fact that these posh waterproofs won't stop you getting wet if you are working hard in the rain because your sweat can't get out.

Most people expect expensive waterproofs to keep them dry at all times. They don't - unless they are standing still,

Gill coastal yachting gear - we bought jackets and dungaree trousers new on ebay (search wetsuitoutlet, or shuttheduckup) jackets are great with a built in hat that has a peak and a high collar so nothing gets in. Jackets were about £70 each I think. They sell last years lines off, so not too expensive, the jackets would have been £200 I guess. Try 'Coastal' in your search as the Ocean gear is big bucks.

I use Mustos - chest high trousers, with braces, and a coat on top. And a Tilley hat which is fantastic at keeping the water off your face.

The Mustos (I use a fairly light one - their inshore sailing range) are good for lock wheeling as well - I have found with some waterproofs that you can overheat with physical exertion.

Go on ebay and search for 'army issue gortex trousers and jacket'. You probably be able to get a set for a few quid. Kept me bone dry on many an excercise over Sennybridge and Sailsbury Plain training areas not to mention a Falkland Islands winter. If you try and get the latest 'model' issued within the last two years you will get zips at the bottom of the trouser legs so you can get them on and off over boots.

Ex Navy or RAF Goretex jackets and trousers.

Available from surplus stores at very reasonable prices.

None of them look good - but they do the job. Dry out quickly in the engine room after use.

I've just given the exact same answer in the other thread about waterproofs. Except I called them 'army issue' and suggested eBay rather than army surplus.

Another thumbs up for Army Surplus Gear. My favourite thing for keeping me dry in really heavy rain is my cheap as chips cape. Doesn't leak at all and because it's all open and flappy round the bottom you don't get all sweaty in it.

If you're on a long level cruise in really cold weather, try and fishing tackle shop. Those fishermen really know how to keep warm while sitting still and they're not generally known to pay over the odds for unnecessary things. (well some are...)