BCN Experts - 1903 Alfred Hickman / Stewarts & Lloyds day boat

Featured Posts

I'm trying to find out the early history of our Eli Aston of Tipton built day boat BCN 18686, registered in July 1903, but I'm running into a lot of dead ends, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I'm particularly interested in finding out more about Hickman boats, was there for example a company livery, and any information about the fleet at Spring Vale? I'd also like to find confirm whether or not the boat was transferred into the S&L fleet. And ideally what happened to the boat when it was disposed of, where did it go next. I do know that the Vedmores ran her from the late 1960's.

Forum members' advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ps. the history I've been able to dig out so far can be found on the front page of my blog at http://inlanding.wordpress.com

I have a photo of a Hickman hull, but a later style. It clearly shows the logo. BCN 1645 is a Hickman hull and I have transcribed the company logo into AutoCad for laser cutting to be able to inset into the rudder stock. I think I have sent you a link before but there is a thread on build blogs on here about it.

Regards

Dan

I'm trying to find out the early history of our Eli Aston of Tipton built day boat BCN 18686, registered in July 1903, but I'm running into a lot of dead ends, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I'm particularly interested in finding out more about Hickman boats, was there for example a company livery, and any information about the fleet at Spring Vale? I'd also like to find confirm whether or not the boat was transferred into the S&L fleet. And ideally what happened to the boat when it was disposed of, where did it go next. I do know that the Vedmores ran her from the late 1960's.

Forum members' advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

B.C.N. Company gauge registers and tables can be very miss-leading when looking at only one register or table. I have transcribed three sets of B.C.N. Company gauge tables, and I have full access to another poor quality transcript (the one that was at the British Waterways Board archive at Gloucester). The Gloucester transcript shows B.C.N. 18686 as having only one operator - A. Hickman, Spring Vale. I am able to confirm that this was not the case, and the register that this was transcribed from must have been a copy (these registers were in very heavy use and when worn out would be copied - the problem being that the current operator would be listed and previous operators would be left off as they were no longer relevant).

All three versions I have transcribed of B.C.N. 18686 show it as being issued on 13 July 1903 to B. Pearson, Tipton with B.C.N. Company (hired from B. Pearson) and A. Hickman as subsequent operators. I can confirm that B.C.N. 18686 was re-weighed at Tipton on 17 March 1927 for A. Hickman Ltd., Spring Vale and its fleet number was 105. This table was not altered or amended after its transfer to A. Hickman Ltd. in 1927. There is also no reference to B.C.N. 18686 being directly attached to Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. fleet, although A. Hickman Ltd. was latterly a "branch of Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd" (quoted on several B.C.N.Company gauge tables).

Pete thanks so much for this information, already it's throwing new light on 18686's early existence, and it's good to have Pearson confirmed as having originally registered the boat. I hope you don't mind if I just clarify a couple of points from your response, does it mean that BCN hired the boat from Pearson? Was this regular practice for owners to hire boats out to the company? Also does the re-weighing in 1927 mark the point when the boat would have possibly transferred into the Hickman fleet?

Hi Dan

I think I read your thread about creating a new rudder for 1645, if memory serves, with a S&L logo, but do you also have the design for the Hickman logo?

Nick

Its on my laptop at home, I'll try and dig it out for you when I get home from work.

Dan

ETA its the S and L logo I have not a Hickman one, I'm not sure one exists??

Edited by stagedamager

Pete thanks so much for this information, already it's throwing new light on 18686's early existence, and it's good to have Pearson confirmed as having originally registered the boat. I hope you don't mind if I just clarify a couple of points from your response, does it mean that BCN hired the boat from Pearson? Was this regular practice for owners to hire boats out to the company? Also does the re-weighing in 1927 mark the point when the boat would have possibly transferred into the Hickman fleet?

It was a very common practice to hire boats on the B.C.N. although the gauge table does not say how long B. Pearson hired his boat to the B.C.N. Company.

The re-weighing in 1927 would have been a requirement due to a structural change rather than a change of ownership. The actual table used during the re-weighing gives the following dimensions - 71'3 x 7'1½ - stowage length 63'0 - open iron (i.e. no cabin) - 4 beams, rudder. The overall dimensions are little altered and the only real difference is that the 1903 gauge listed 5 beams. It is possible that this gauge more or less marks the change of use, and hence the change of owner - although Hickman's could have owned the boat for some time.

edit - B.C.N. Company gauge records suggest B.C.N. 18686 was the only boat that B. Pearson hire to the B.C.N. Company, although these records are a little unreliable. Again these records suggest that the B.C.N. Company only ever hired 8 boats in total, which I find very hard to believe.

Edited by pete harrison

Pete, just one more clarification if I may, what would the implication be of 4 beams / 5 beams in terms of the structural changes?

Not a lot really, a reduction of the boat weight of no more than a couple of hundredweight if that. The removal of a beam may have allowed the slinging and lifting of large lengths such as tubes e.t.c..

Would I be right in thinking that S&L boats often had cross beams removed to facilitate the loading of steel tubes at Coombeswood for example? Perhaps Hickman boats were similarly altered?

If day boats were transporting raw materials into the works, can anyone tell me what the main outputs carried out of Spring Vale by day boats were, and what might have needed a beam to be removed from a boat - would it also have been pipes?

I thought they had day boats with beams in different positions depending on what was required. I didn't think they were moveable, certainly those that are left on BCN 1645 are riveted to the gunnel. Im not sure what came out of Spring Vale but would also like to know! Thank you for starting a great thread! !

Dan

Every message is full of insight and fascinating detail, thanks everyone for your input to this thread so far!

I'd like to explore Pete Harrison's hypothosis above, that BCN18686 was possibly re-gauged in 1927 because the 5x fixed beams noted on the 1903 tables had been reduced to 4x beam in 1927 and that this could mark a change of use (and ownership?).

Does anyone know what the Spring Vale works were producing that would have been transported from the Bilston site by day boats, and perhaps where that material would have been taken to?

I'm also eager to find out about Eli Aston's 'Iron Boat Wharf' Alexandra Road Tipton on the Toll End Communication canal. Does anyone know the where I might be able to get my hands on a copy of a canal map that might shown the exact location of the wharf?

cheers

Nick

This is a photo from a book called ‘Black Country Canals’ by Paul Collins, i don't know who the original photographer is, i was sent this scan in an email, it shows two later "Hickman" hulls, and they look to have differing positions of beams.

Regards

Dan

IMG_0727_zps99dab1a3.jpg

Unfortunately I was unable to open your attachment Dan, would it be possible to e-mail it?

Your reference to 'Black Country Canals' by Paul Collins sent me back to the book.

There's a number of helpful photos; on pg. 98 for example there's a great photo of iron day boats with 3x and 5x beams, transporting pig-iron or coal. Whilst the 'classic' shot of Hickman boats at Spring Vale on pg. 24 shows mainly 5x beam boats.

I suspect that, due to the longevity of iron day boats, countless minor variations occurred to virtually every boat over time.

I don't have any maps, but do have a cruising guide by the Birmingham branch of the IWA. It doesn't mention any of the wharves along the Toll End Communication canal, but the entrance can still be seen here: http://goo.gl/maps/t829d Not the basin, but the smaller bridged to the left of the basin. This dove under the railway and the rest is largely speculation as to where Eli's boat dock might have been. You can almost trace the course to Great Bridge with a bit of imagination.

You can follow the course through the industrial area North of the railway and across Alexander Road and alongside 'Brooks Meadow' (there's a shallow ditch that marks the likely course). There was a lock along that stretch, and an inlet/basin to the North. Just before you reach Upper Church Lane there seems to be a sharp turn to the right, with a short stump/basin dead ahead. On some old maps there is shown "Old Canal" extending beyond Church Lane possibly to Cotterill Farm Colliery. The cut having turned abruptly right, goes through another lock just before Upper Church Lane then dives beneath just North of the Zebra Crossing, continuing along the back of the Fire Station. It then crosses what is now a playing field and skirts the top of the Cemetery where there was a lock. There was another lock just before passing beneath Bridge Road. Now the canal line is taken up by the road within the industrial estate until it reaches Toll End Road where it goes beneath - the bridge abutments are visible. The line now goes through the parking area of the big warehouse and joins the Walsall Canal. At the junction now obliterated, is a pipe bridge parallel to the towpath where the Toll End Communication Canal ended. Don't get mixed up with Tipton Brook. This ran alongside on first one side then the other.

I think I've got that about right. I'm not local, and only going on what can be seen from aerial shots compared to old maps.

Cheers Derek

You've provided a useful starting point for uncovering the likely location of Eli Aston's wharf. Capt. Ahab's site adds a little more detail to the story here:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/toll-end-communication-canal-in-tipton.html

Best wishes

Nick

This is a photo from a book called ‘Black Country Canals’ by Paul Collins, i don't know who the original photographer is, i was sent this scan in an email, it shows two later "Hickman" hulls, and they look to have differing positions of beams.

Regards

Dan

IMG_0727_zps99dab1a3.jpg

The beams were always fixed on these boats. Hickmans had their own dock at Spring Vale, the slips are just about discernable after the first bridge after the site of Bantocks travelling south on the main line. Alred Hickman had no emblem as far as I know and most of the boats were ugly basic cabinless Joey's but full of dents and character.

There is a huge book around on Stewarts and Lloyds which comes up on ebay for a song quite often.

Thanks Laurence for sharing the fact that Hickman's had their own dock at Spring Vale, to your knowledge does an image of it, or indeed other images of the environs of Spring Vale, exist?

You wouldn't have the title of the S&L book to hand would you?

regards

Nick

Stewarts & Lloyds 1903 - 1953 see : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stewarts-and-Lloyds-Limited-1903-1953-/310667246104?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item485535fa18

Images do exist of the site and surroundings in my collection but its still impossible to upload images to CWDF at present.