Losing VMs at Bradford on Avon

RickH

Featured Posts

The last time I had my baldy head trimmed was in Bradford on Avon!

and being a tight git, I had a shop around to see who was best value. And Bradford has a few hair dressers.

The best value I found, for someone with not a lot of hair and who just wants a no2 shaved head, is the first barber you come to, walking into town, by that fancy tea shop.

But if next time I can get a cheaper hair cut, whilst my boats going up or down in the lock, then I'm all for it.

You've got me puzzled now. Why not do it yourself? I do mine myself, No3 with electric hair clippers.

Costs about £20 every three or four years as the clippers seem to die at about that frequency. You'd need to invest in a small inverter and a mirror too...

MtB

You've got me puzzled now. Why not do it yourself? I do mine myself, No3 with electric hair clippers.

Costs about £20 every three or four years as the clippers seem to die at about that frequency. You'd need to invest in a small inverter and a mirror too...

MtB

I usually wait til I visit someone in an house and take my 240v clippers.

I only have 2 cuts a year, so not really a problem.

The next one is due in August.

What I am on the lookout for is a12v beard trimmer, that'll plug into a cigarette lighter.

Glenn

Edited by Goliath

Well I liked the brothel bit but as for the rest, won't be able to moor, hair dye in the canal etc ....

This is one boat space being taken by someone boat based who is no doubt paying CRT a small fortune to try and set up a business there. GIve them some support.

Should I give my support? Those visitor moorings are probably the nicest west of Devizes. A wooden wharf with mooring rings, within stumbling distance of a couple of nice pubs, smelling of scented candles and lit by strings of lights. Why should a static hairdressing salon be given a permanent mooring there? Do we want popular visitor moorings to become floating high streets?

Should I give my support? Those visitor moorings are probably the nicest west of Devizes. A wooden wharf with mooring rings, within stumbling distance of a couple of nice pubs, smelling of scented candles and lit by strings of lights. Why should a static hairdressing salon be given a permanent mooring there? Do we want popular visitor moorings to become floating high streets?

Agreed.

Simple as.

So, if I get a business license can I apply for a mooring wherever I like and be treated as a special case? What is cart policy on this?

So, if I get a business license can I apply for a mooring wherever I like and be treated as a special case? What is cart policy on this?

If it is the hairdressing boat that has been on the Western End of the K&A for a few years, then yes they are residential..

but they did move off to go to the Olympics and have not been back since... so maybe it is not them...

The plan indicates that it is next to the shop going as far as the tennis courts . It seems to be owned by Wiltshire Council as that is where the plans have been submitted .

Again , two points to be concerned about , is it residential , and water pollution . I will call the council to find out more and will let you guys know .

If it is the hairdressing boat that has been on the Western End of the K&A for a few years, then yes they are residential..

but they did move off to go to the Olympics and have not been back since... so maybe it is not them...

It possibly is them. They wintered in Roydon marina near us. Saw them heading off about a month ago. I'm certain they were going back to the K & A

Well, to bbe fair, I could return to the same mooring every day, as long as I move during the day. My querry is, is this involving a residential mooring? In the centre of Bradford on Avon?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear but what I wanted to find out is why boats with business licenses can seem to apply for visitor moorings to be removed and turned into permanent moorings for themselves, and whether CaRT had a policy on this.

I agree there is nothing to stop you (or any other boat) bidding on an existing long term mooring

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear but what I wanted to find out is why boats with business licenses can seem to apply for visitor moorings to be removed and turned into permanent moorings for themselves, and whether CaRT had a policy on this.

I agree there is nothing to stop you (or any other boat) bidding on an existing long term mooring

It is better than that on the Macc. Here they abolish winding holes so they can put a business licenced boat in the space to make money.

George ex nb Alton retired

I spoke with the guy from the council , it is solely a business application , and he is in touch with the enviroment department about pollution . Apparently they are applying by themselves without using a proffessional service , it would be sad if they go through all this , part with a load of cash , under the belief that they can live on the boat as well , and then find out they cannot . If anyone knows how to get in touch with them maybe they could let them know .

It does seem to be a substantial piece of the mooring but the boat is only 18.5M long so maybe it starts part way down and there will be moorings available either side of it , plus as a widebeam it's probably better away from the bend in the canal as it may be a little narrow there .

I spoke with the guy from the council , it is solely a business application , and he is in touch with the enviroment department about pollution . Apparently they are applying by themselves without using a proffessional service , it would be sad if they go through all this , part with a load of cash , under the belief that they can live on the boat as well , and then find out they cannot . If anyone knows how to get in touch with them maybe they could let them know .

It does seem to be a substantial piece of the mooring but the boat is only 18.5M long so maybe it starts part way down and there will be moorings available either side of it , plus as a widebeam it's probably better away from the bend in the canal as it may be a little narrow there .

Am I alone in thinking, that what would be sad is if this buisness gets consent! A static hair-dresser adds nothing to the enviroment of the canal. I could understand if it was a trip boat (although we have one of those) an outlet selling refreshments to boaters, towpath walkers and cyclists (although we have those too) or even a chandler (Yep got that as well). But a hair-dresser!! it's hardly canal related is it?

Visitor moorings on the K&A are very much in short supply for leisure boats, cruising live-aboards and hire-boats alike. Surely taking a big chunk of a limited mooring for non canal related shop is not a good idea. I'm sure the hair-dressers are lovely people and a cruising salon is a novel idea, but if they want a static salon, then one in a high street shop is what they should open.

Edited by gary955