Washing machines- filling with hot water...

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Some machines like our Zanussi Compact need you to start the prog then pause it once the fill starts before adding the hot water. This is because the first thing the prog does is check for old water in the machine and pump it out.

Adding around 6 litres of water (though the detergent drawer is easiest) means that the heater comes on only very briefly if at all.

Interesting. Ours is the small Candy and doesn't seem bothered, though I can quite understand why some machines would be programmed lie yours.

We have 3 x brass rods attached to the Squirrell flue surround in the roof for hanging washing on, which dries it very quickly. Leave nearby portholes open for ventilation.

Tony.

Does the washing go on fire often?

Yes I am sure it can be managed but as I said I just hate the smell and look of damp washing inside a boat - we burn some fossil fuel to keep it out of sight in the tumble drier and of course with a bit of fabric conditioner it comes out all soft for my baby skin, not stiff as a board for roughy toughy boater skin!

Edited by nicknorman

Doodlebug,

I agree with Bottle.

We have a new Candy, which incidently draws about 2.15kw max. We run it on a 3kva genny as our view was that 2KW is pushing it. We just turn it on and use the cold water fill. As Bottle said, it is not worth the extra agro and concern if the machine will behave. And like Bottle, while the genny is running, we do all those other jobs that need PSW electrikery, like my hair clippers! And like Bottle, it finishes off topping up the batteries.

Just Keep It Simple.

Incidently, re genny noise. This is largely unobtrusive when the genny is run in eco mode as it only runs on high revs when the heater element kicks in for about 3-5 mins only and the spin cycle as the motor picks up.

May I ask which machine you use?

It is an Indesit 6125 washer/dryer, although the dryer is rarely used. The washer has a cold wash setting that you can use on any normal heated programme avoiding the need to use the heater at all. Just add hot water.

Does the washing go on fire often?

Yes I am sure it can be managed but as I said I just hate the smell and look of damp washing inside a boat - we burn some fossil fuel to keep it out of sight in the tumble drier and of course with a bit of fabric conditioner it comes out all soft for my baby skin, not stiff as a board for roughy toughy boater skin!

No, doesn't catch fire and dries all soft.biggrin.png. (Never leave the washing unattended whilst drying!). Use conditioner and no problem. In the summer, dries in the boatmans cabin hung from the control rods.

To the OP and everyone else, I still cannot understand why all this fuss about filling washing machines with hot water etc.

I too am puzzled at how some people seek to complicate the simple. I run my standard unmodified washing machine with no problems. If I am away from my mains connection I run it only while the engine is running. The only proviso is that I turn the temperature down to 40c. It all works perfectly.

• Greenie 1

I too am puzzled at how some people seek to complicate the simple. I run my standard unmodified washing machine with no problems. If I am away from my mains connection I run it only while the engine is running. The only proviso is that I turn the temperature down to 40c. It all works perfectly.

On the inverter I assume?

2.4kw is going to be drawing 200amps on the batteries, thats a hell of a lot, even if your putting 40 amps back in from the engine.

On the inverter I assume?

2.4kw is going to be drawing 200amps on the batteries, thats a hell of a lot, even if your putting 40 amps back in from the engine.

But dont forget its only 2.4kw for the first 10 - 15 mins or so whilst its heating up the wash water, after that the power demand is more like 300W. If you only have a 40A alternator, its time for an upgrade! Don't forget that if you only seem to get 40A near the end of a charge, you will get the full alternator output when the inverter is pulling the system voltage down, unless you have a big problem with your wiring sizes.

Edited by nicknorman

Nothing complicated at all; I chuck hot water in the washer, switch it on and forget about it.

It is an Indesit 6125 washer/dryer, although the dryer is rarely used. The washer has a cold wash setting that you can use on any normal heated programme avoiding the need to use the heater at all. Just add hot water.

Thanks. I'll try adding a bit more than usual to the Candy next trip.

I agree it is the simplest way of doing the job, and still ensuring that there is a cold rinse (important according to my wife; I wouldn't know!)

Chucking water is an extra process over and above the normal - that is the very definition of over-complication! lol

Hardly ball breaking, since you have to add and remove the washing anyway! No harder than filling the kettle at brew time.

Chucking water is an extra process over and above the normal - that is the very definition of over-complication! lol

It's the simplest method with a 2kw inverter and no generator! However, I accept that the simpler option would be to upgrade the inverter to 3kw or buy a generator but, for my usage, the slight effort of manually filling does not justify the cost of buying either of those.

So your saying that with your 2kw inverter, and only the power from your engine, your able to run a washing machine, as long as you fill it up with hot water first?

Can I ask how large your battery bank is, and how many amps your engine puts into them to charge them?

So your saying that with your 2kw inverter, and only the power from your engine, your able to run a washing machine, as long as you fill it up with hot water first?

Can I ask how large your battery bank is, and how many amps your engine puts into them to charge them?

405 amp battery bank and alternator, sorry don't know its size.

I have a 1600w inverter and it effortlessly powers my standard domestic washing machine - and without the use of any special water juggling. With the engine running I just put the wash on as if I were in a house. I think some folk are overcomplicating things!

Hi all jusrt put a deposit on my first boat!!clapping.gifThe present owners are taking washingmachine so question is do I need specific typemake on the boat?Thanks!

You need one that'll fit!

Find out the size of the hole first, you may find that limits you to either the Candy or Zanussi small washing machines!

Hi all jusrt put a deposit on my first boat!!clapping.gifThe present owners are taking washingmachine so question is do I need specific typemake on the boat?Thanks!

You could consider a twin tub. It won't use as much electricity but it will mean a little more work for you. It is possible that the spin drier of a twin tub will get clothes drier than an automatic will. Also consider that a twin tub is more likely to work from a modified sine wave inverter that an automatic is.

Dave

Hi all thanks for advice. A twin tub wow i didnt know they still existed! Ive also read on a site this morning that the further away from the batteries you are the more likely it is to drain them! Is that correct? Its a 70' boat I was planning to put washing machine at opposite end to batteries as that where kitchen is!