Will You Take A CRT Employee On Your Boat?

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

It is often mentioned on here and other places that one of the problems is that CRT Employees never actually go on the system to face the problems that boaters face on a regular basis. To help overcome this in a small way it has been suggested that boaters might be happy to invite a CRT employee to spend the day with them as they cruise. This will take some planning as the employee will need to meet the boater at a given place and then finish the day somewhere near public transport so they can return to the starting point.

I would be grateful if anyone that would be prepared to help contact me so I can pass there details to CRT. In my case I will be inviting an employee to join me when I do the Wolverhampton 21 (being single handed!!)

contact me using this link please>>>>> http://johnsloan.squarespace.com/contact-me/

This has been mooted here in East Midlands too.

We will certainly do this but I will arrange directly with my volunteer team leader.

We will certainly do this but I will arrange directly with my volunteer team leader.

great

Done it. A couple of years ago took the local Waterways manager out. Since when several of the problems highlighted have been fixed. I can wholeheartedly recommend doing this but don't make it an ''ear bashing' session, just let them see for themselves, with a little guidance. You never know you just might learn something yourself.

• Greenie 3

Done it. A couple of years ago took the local Waterways manager out. Since when several of the problems highlighted have been fixed. I can wholeheartedly recommend doing this but don't make it an ''ear bashing' session, just let them see for themselves, with a little guidance. You never know you just might learn something yourself.

Thank you for that you are quite correct it is a two way process.

Thank you to the 6 people who have already said yes I will reply in due course but could I ask anyone else interested if they don't mind also giving a contact phone number (not 100% necessarily but will make it easier to arrange meeting etc.)

Did exactly this with Mark Stephens ( waterways manager Kennet and Avon ), the result of which was the much needed cutting back of overhanging trees along the Kennet Navigation.

Keith

Agree it's a good idea NOT to make it a day-long earbashing & whingeing session. If you're taking them out on your local bit of canal, then you'll probably know where the bits needing attention are. Don't tell them anything beforehand - just let them climb through the nettle-infested lock landing to work the dodgy lock gate or slip on the badly maintained path, just as we have to do every day... Then they may get the idea. Can't wait for the report of a NW senior manager single-handing up The Rochdale 9 !

Any links we can make at any level within CRT I feel is for the good, Taking them out on boats is probably one of the best and if possible should be aimed at the office based employees who in some cases have never been on a narrowboat. I do however agree it should not be an excuse for complaining about everything in sight. If we can let them experiance some of the problems we have first hand, that will stick in their minds for longer.

Details sent John

I agree with the idea of building links but its the folks right at the top that are so hard to reach. On a local and face to face basis most staff are perfectly decent folk doing their best for the customer.

I have found the people at the top quite easy to reach, Vince Moran attended the Continuous Cruiser meeting last week and stayed after the meeting to chat to people. I attended a meeting recently and Robin Evans stayed and talked to boaters. Is there a particular person you have found hard to reach?

No particular person. I'd like to put my view on the proliferation of 48 hour moorings and the totally unrealistic plans to fine overstayers but I doubt I'm high enough up the food chain to be taken any notice of. I also consider auctioning moorings to be unethical,allowing the better off to buy their way up the list is quite wrong. Will this change anytime soon,Id like to think so but I will not be holding my breath.

I think we all need to be a bit careful that we dont overload the higher managment with trivia, that is meant in the nicest possible way. It is easy to grab an opportunity to talk to a manager and overwhelm him with problems without any solutions. If you reduce it to rather more specific problems with a possible solution you are going to be listened to more seriously. Access to managers is not a problem, and IMHO is far better that it was with BW, but, I have already had to reconsider how I use these opportunities to get the best results and not to waste them,

• Greenie 1

No particular person. I'd like to put my view on the proliferation of 48 hour moorings and the totally unrealistic plans to fine overstayers but I doubt I'm high enough up the food chain to be taken any notice of. I also consider auctioning moorings to be unethical,allowing the better off to buy their way up the list is quite wrong. Will this change anytime soon,Id like to think so but I will not be holding my breath.

It has nothing to do with being up the food chain. I think regarding 48 hour moorings you will find that for every person that agrees with you (and I am one) another will disagree so it is a difficult one to tackle. As I understand it moorings will no longer be changed without a consultation. As for the fines ooopppsss sorry the mooring charges I doubt it will ever work and the best solution is that people do not overstay. With regard to your comments on the Mooring Auction I can assure these are under discussion.

I think we all need to be a bit careful that we dont overload the higher managment with trivia, that is meant in the nicest possible way. It is easy to grab an opportunity to talk to a manager and overwhelm him with problems without any solutions. If you reduce it to rather more specific problems with a possible solution you are going to be listened to more seriously. Access to managers is not a problem, and IMHO is far better that it was with BW, but, I have already had to reconsider how I use these opportunities to get the best results and not to waste them,

i have to agree with you I think it is pointless moaning unless you want to be part of a process to find a solution.

In the BW days an employee holding a clip board was pearing into Bruce tunnel. I offered to take him through but he declined, saying "not insured to ride on boats". Has that situation changed? I would be very happy to offer again if in fact it has changed now.

Dave

In the BW days an employee holding a clip board was pearing into Bruce tunnel. I offered to take him through but he declined, saying "not insured to ride on boats". Has that situation changed? I would be very happy to offer again if in fact it has changed now.

Dave

Yes it has and not even sure when he said not insured he was correct. For the employee this will form part of their work so they will be insured.

Thank you for that you are quite correct it is a two way process.

Thank you to the 6 people who have already said yes I will reply in due course but could I ask anyone else interested if they don't mind also giving a contact phone number (not 100% necessarily but will make it easier to arrange meeting etc.)

Good point, have just emailed again.

I have found the people at the top quite easy to reach, Vince Moran attended the Continuous Cruiser meeting last week and stayed after the meeting to chat to people. I attended a meeting recently and Robin Evans stayed and talked to boaters. Is there a particular person you have found hard to reach?

I was wondering if there where any minutes from this meeting published

Regards kris

I would be happy to sign up but we are very new to the water ways (5 months) if thats ok i will send off the the mail , we have covered a fair distance in that time , currently on the lower GU having come up the K&A and Thames .