Posting pictures from your PC into the forum - step by step.

Featured Posts

I can't post pictures directly from my PC or from Dropbox - I get the message that 'the file extension (jpg) is not allowed on this forum'.

I can post from Photobox using the traditional method.

Everyone (in the members group) should be able to post attachments including valid JPG files into posts. Which forum were you posting it on (the permissions vary by thread) and if its in general, can you send the file to sitecrew@canalworld.net and I'll look at it to see if its invalid format etc?

Everyone (in the members group) should be able to post attachments including valid JPG files into posts. Which forum were you posting it on (the permissions vary by thread) and if its in general, can you send the file to sitecrew@canalworld.net and I'll look at it to see if its invalid format etc?

Are you saying that that only certain members can use the direct up load facility in certain section of the forum?

If so thank goodness for photobucket or imgr.

tried to post a picture in this section of the forum, and in 'Boating', copying an image from Dropbox with jpg extension.

The image appears in the reply box but when I try to post it I get this message.

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

Edited by Murflynn

Are you saying that that only certain members can use the direct up load facility in certain section of the forum?

The only members which cannot are 'new members' with a post count of 2 or less for anti spam/dos reasons, and banned/suspended members.

Hope this makes it clear.

Daniel

The only members which cannot are 'new members' with a post count of 2 or less for anti spam/dos reasons, and banned/suspended members.

Hope this makes it clear.

Daniel

Well given the member having problems is neither, no it doesn't.

Hope that makes my point clearer.

tried to post a picture in this section of the forum, and in 'Boating', copying an image from Dropbox with jpg extension.

The image appears in the reply box but when I try to post it I get this message.

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

The forum's own upload facility is for uploading pictures from your local computer to the forum web server. If you have Dropbox accessible as a drive from "Windows Explorer" or the linux/mac equivalent etc, then its possible to upload it to our server. If the image is on the internet, on another server in a different form, then it doesn't/cannot do a "server to server" transfer, if that makes sense.

Thanks Dan, At least now when I can't get a picture up, I know that it's just me being a numpty smile.png

eta that's normally my first thought anyway !!!

flickr is an internet based image hosting site, similar to photobucket. The new forum attachment uploading facility traverses these rendering them unnecessary, you can now upload directly from your computer to the forum web server.

To clarify, my previous reply on this was an arse-covering generalisation, having looked at the permissions, there's a number of rarely/never used sub-forums, some of which are hidden anyway, and some of which are read only, these are the ones I mean when I mentioned its not all sub-forums. Basically, if Members can post or reply in a topic, they can also add an attachment to their reply. Photobucket/Imgr not needed at all.

The forum's own upload facility is for uploading pictures from your local computer to the forum web server. If you have Dropbox accessible as a drive from "Windows Explorer" or the linux/mac equivalent etc, then its possible to upload it to our server. If the image is on the internet, on another server in a different form, then it doesn't/cannot do a "server to server" transfer, if that makes sense.

as I said earlier, I cannot upload directly from my PC either.

Click on the image in MS Photo Editor - 'copy'

Click in the reply box on the forum - no 'paste' option available.

It used to work just fine in July.

Edited by Murflynn

I've found if I click on the "More Reply Options" button I can upload an image from your PC and 'attach' it to a post and it gets appended to the end of my post. Picture of Reginald attached in this way to illustrate how it gets displayed. (The words "Attached Thumbnails" are not mine, the software puts them in, annoyingly.)

But I can't position it where I want it in the body of my post as I can when using "Insert Image" to insert an image hosted on PhotoBucket.

I've yet to discover a way to upload an image from my own PC and control where in my post it appears.

post-62-0-06080300-1440835191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

post-2102-0-88787000-1440835066_thumb.jpg

I've found if I click on the "More Reply Options" button I can upload an image from your PC and 'attach' it to a post and it gets appended to the end of my post.

But I can't insert it into the body of my post as I can when using "Insert Image" to insert an image hosted on PhotoBucket.

I've yet to discover a way to upload an image from my own PC and control where in my post it appears.

A picture can be placed where ever you want. It first appears where the cursor is when you upload and click 'add to post'.

Or you can just cut and paste and move the 'code' within a post just like any other text.

Like post-2102-0-37572200-1440835361_thumb.jpg this

Edited by MJG

Thanks Martyn. I must still being something wrong then as I've found wherever I put my cursor, the image still appears at the end with those words "Attached Thumbnails", as illustrated in my post 88 above.

I wonder if its a browser thing, I'm using Chrome on windows 10.

A picture can be placed where ever you want. It first appears where the cursor is when you upload and click 'add to post'.

Looking more carefully, I can't find an "Add to post" option. I'm clicking the button saying "Insert this file".

I'm using FireFox 40.0.2

Hang on, I'll post a screenshot...

Looking more carefully, I can't find an "Add to post" option. I'm clicking the button saying "Insert this file".

So after you upload you don't see this (add to post to the right)

post-2102-0-36243500-1440835898_thumb.png

post-2102-0-34326300-1440842413_thumb.jpg

Edited by MJG

And strangely, editing the post to insert that second image in the middle of the sentence caused my originally attached image to be deleted. There ought to be two images in my post 94 after the edit. A minor glitch but one that could be irritating...

Do you have the URL of an example post before July, where this worked fine?

And strangely, editing the post to insert that second image in the middle of the sentence caused my originally attached image to be deleted. There ought to be two images in my post 94 after the edit. A minor glitch but one that could be irritating...

Not for me it doesn't - I have added a picture to my post above via. editing it and it added with no problem and the original image remained in the post.

Are you sure you didn't inadvertently remove the code for the first picture when you edited?

(One thing I have noticed is that if an image appears at the end of a post it gets annotated with 'Attached thumbnails' but if you place the picture elsewhere in the post it does not.)

ed - correction - actually your right it does, I have just edited (but not saved the edit) of my post and it removed the one annotated with 'Attached thumbnails' but it remained uploaded and ready to be 'added to post' while the edit window was open. I would have had to had to re add it to keep it in the post. It didn't however delete the first image.

Weird.

post-2102-0-27948000-1440843785_thumb.png

Edited by MJG