Liveaboard Thames

mersey barge

Featured Posts

No I wouldn't! I am happy with the current system provided all residential units pay a charge, no missing out living caravans or residential boats.

Perhaps for mobile residential units (as opposed to static caravans) it could be paid to the government as a tax which could then be divided up and paid out to councils along with other monies the central government pays to councils.

Or, perhaps leisure boats should be classed as second homes and taxed accordingly?

Keith

My situation is slightly different, but I do contribute to a council for my mooring. Cambridge city council own the bank that I moor on, and in their licensing scheme, my mooring fee which is roughly equivalent to band A council tax goes to them.

It is a proper residential mooring and has rubbish collection, but that's it- separate water points are provided.

None of the boaters on this scheme is liable to council tax because we don't have a specific spot to moor in; our licence gives the right to moor somewhere along three distinct pieces of land, but not a specific place. There are other moorings in town, where you do have a specific place, that are liable for council tax.

Why not? I pay taxes on the holiday home I own.

smiley_offtopic.gif

Apart from the fact we all pay taxes for our boats - its called a licence fee by CRT - why the hell do we have to pay tax on everything - I'm sick to the back teeth of people saying tax this, tax that, tax the other - I've lost count of the number of new taxes that governments have introduced over the years - mostly to pay for more and more government and regulation ..... help.giffrusty.gif ... rant over for now

Have you considered that when I lived In a house the council tax was the same as it was now I do not live in the house ? The council still gets the same amount of money, it just happens that I don't live there. I live elsewhere but the council gets thesame money. So i can't see that the argument works.

Er - - NO!

I suspect that you're missing a salient fact!

1. Most services that mobile boaters use ( water, sewage disposal, rubbish collection etc ) are provided by the waterways authority and are paid for in the licence fee.

2. Local Income Tax, a levy could and should be added to everyone's tax bill, this should go towards paying for local services.

Anyone not paying income tax or on benefit would still not pay.

Fire service police etc aren't provided by CRT so while I would agree with most it certainly isn't all so I personally feel there still needs to be a payment.

No.2 Yes I think that might work.

Apart from the fact we all pay taxes for our boats - its called a licence fee

Sorry but the CRT license isn't a tax it is a payment to a charity for use of their facilities a bit like an entrance fee to one of the National Trusts Properties.

See my comment elsewhere about provision of other services e.g. Police.

Can't be bothered to read through the whole drivel again, but let me paraphrase

I pay so much income tax and NI on my earnings, that the taxman at the end of the year takes pity, and gives me some back.

If I want to live on my boat, I ruddy well will, wether some ... Like it or not. Any council tax payable is between me, and the council. So go and procreate yourself.

Edited by DHutch
Profane language removed
  • Greenie 2

Can't be bothered to read through the whole drivel again, but let me paraphrase

I pay so much ###### income tax and NI on my earnings, that the taxman at the end of the year takes pity, and gives me some back.

If I want to live on my boat, I ###### well will, wether some ... Like it or not. Any council tax payable is between me, and the council. So go and procreate yourself.

Should I be detecting a soupçon of irascibility with our Lowland fiend?

biggrin.png

Sorry but the CRT license isn't a tax it is a payment to a charity for use of their facilities a bit like an entrance fee to one of the National Trusts Properties.

Isn't 20% of it tax (ie the vat)?

The chance would be a fine thing my friend, I rather enjoyed Newark, and the short evening in the pub. Jobs that work out that fine are of course rarer than hens teeth.

Ah well, back to work, lest I spill a few 000 liters of milk all over the yard...

Why not? I pay taxes on the holiday home I own.

So, you'd be happy to pay the full rate of council tax on your home, your holiday home and your boat?

I believe, the government are intending, or may have already implemented 100% council tax on second homes.

If that amounts to three times band A, it's a serious amount of money, so I say good on you for being so public spirited!

I'm sure that all other boat owners would be happy to pay around £1000 a year C.T. for what is, to the majority, basically just a toy.

It would be worth it though, would't it?

Keith

Just like your vehicle license is a payment to use the road I suppose.... if it's waddles and quacks it's a duck, just because BW has been rebranded CRT doesn't fundamentally change the fact that I pay a license/tax for them to maintain the network, what they are called is only window dressing

Just like your vehicle license is a payment to use the road I suppose....

Nope. Your vehicle excise duty (VED) is paid to central government, whereas the roads (with the exception of motorways) are funded by the local authority who get their money from the council tax we all pay. This is why you're allowed to walk or cycle on a road without having a tax disc. So the "road tax" you pay is anything but that.

Unlike the roads some of the money one pays to CaRT in the form of a license fee does go back into the maintenance and improvement of the canal system.

Nope. Your vehicle excise duty (VED) is paid to central government, whereas the roads (with the exception of motorways) are funded by the local authority who get their money from the council tax we all pay. This is why you're allowed to walk or cycle on a road without having a tax disc. So the "road tax" you pay is anything but that.

Unlike the roads some of the money one pays to CaRT in the form of a license fee does go back into the maintenance and improvement of the canal system.

I think some trunk roads are still paid for centrally, though there seems to have been quite a lot of 'de-trunking' in recent years? Local govt does get a lot of its money from central govt., so road tax money could well find its way to road maintenance, but I doubt whether there's any linkage in the sense that 'the roads need X per year, therefore road tax should raise approx X per year'.

Tim

What you say may be true but that doesn't translate to "I pay road tax so I am entitled to use the road". I should have probably kept quiet but it's a pet hate of mine when I hear people say this. Otherwise by extension walkers/cyclists/horse riders etc shouldn't be entitled to use the roads and it would be a shame if more people came to hold this opinion.

But they're getting Something for Nothing and that's not right.

Jerra has said so.

Roads are for cars. End of.

Do please try to not misrepresent what I have said!

My comments about getting something for nothing were about the situation where somebody lives in a mobile residence (be it property or chattel) and pay no council tax.

As Arducius points out roads for example (not to mention police etc.) get much of their money from local tax so those who aren't contributing are IMHO getting something for nothing.

I have not mentioned roads for cars as far as I can remember due to the point Arducius makes above.

My comments about getting something for nothing were about the situation where somebody lives in a mobile residence (be it property or chattel) and pay no council tax.

So you're very selective about your "getting something for nothing" then?

I live in my camper van - should I pay council tax? Who should I pay it to?