Boat safety

Featured Posts

I think you are mixing two separate schemes

Boat Safety - must be done by a registered examiner for licencing (like an MOT) - every 4 years (or

less if the exminer is unhappy to issue a 4 yr cert - for example on an incomplete boat)

RCD - documentation from the boat builder/fitters required for "new" boats, IIRC if you self

build you cannot sell for 5 yrs unless you also provide the documentation, though you can

prepare this yourself.

springy

Hopefully toy have built your boat to the latest RCD specifications and you can therefore self certificate (or get a surveyor to do it, not easy as I understand it.

Forum members have done it, so may be able to help.

If you have not built to RCD then you cannot sell the boat for five years, there is a lot of discussion as to when the clock starts clicking.

If built to RCD (with evidence, paperwork etc.) then that will cover your boat for four years and enable it to be licensed, without a BSS certificate.

If not built to RCD (with proper documentation) then you could get a BSS certificate and that will enable it to be licensed.

The BSS only covers the safety of equipment onboard it does not certify the boat is safe to go on the water.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/private-boats

I think you are mixing two separate schemes

Boat Safety - must be done by a registered examiner for licencing (like an MOT) - every 4 years (or

less if the exminer is unhappy to issue a 4 yr cert - for example on an incomplete boat)

RCD - documentation from the boat builder/fitters required for "new" boats, IIRC if you self

build you cannot sell for 5 yrs unless you also provide the documentation, though you can

prepare this yourself.

springy

Simply put. But I most point out for benifit of others that the BSS examiner is not permitted to determine the time period of the certificate. It's either four years of fail!

Edited to add, in the situation of incomplete boats, the examiner will ask the owner to sign a decleration that he does not intend to sell the boat untill it is five years old before hewill issue a 4 year certificate.

Edited by Radiomariner
  • Greenie 1

Simply put. But I most point out for benifit of others that the BSS examiner is not permitted to determine the time period of the certificate. It's either four years of fail!

Edited to add, in the situation of incomplete boats, the examiner will ask the owner to sign a decleration that he does not intend to sell the boat untill it is five years old before hewill issue a 4 year certificate.

I have had a Morco on the wall for about a year. With no gas piping or water pipework and no chimney hole. It may be more than a year before I get around to progressing it further. Can anyone tell me what would happen if I had a BSS test now? What would happen if it was more complete but still not functional?

<snip>Simply put. But I most point out for benifit of others that the BSS examiner is not permitted to determine the time period of the certificate. It's either four years of fail!

<snip>

Ta for the correction Alan, is it just my faulty memory or is that something which has changed ?

springy

I have had a Morco on the wall for about a year. With no gas piping or water pipework and no chimney hole. It may be more than a year before I get around to progressing it further. Can anyone tell me what would happen if I had a BSS test now? What would happen if it was more complete but still not functional?

Incomplete boats can be examined, but any individual system has to be complete or examinable.

In the example of gas systems, this is the advice to examiners

Gas appliances found but no cylinder or cylinder locker and/or no supply pipework

Boats which have a gas appliance(s) but no cylinder or cylinder locker or obvious location for open cylinder stowage and possibly no supply pipework, must be treated cautiously because of the potential for cylinders to be subsequently located inside the accommodation space not in a locker.

In these circumstances a BSS examination cannot be completed:

i) until the LPG cylinders and supply pipework is in place or the gas appliance is removed; or,

ii) unless guidance has been taken from the BSS Office.

Regards

Rob

Incomplete boats can be examined, but any individual system has to be complete or examinable.

In the example of gas systems, this is the advice to examiners

Gas appliances found but no cylinder or cylinder locker and/or no supply pipework

Boats which have a gas appliance(s) but no cylinder or cylinder locker or obvious location for open cylinder stowage and possibly no supply pipework, must be treated cautiously because of the potential for cylinders to be subsequently located inside the accommodation space not in a locker.

In these circumstances a BSS examination cannot be completed:

i) until the LPG cylinders and supply pipework is in place or the gas appliance is removed; or,

ii) unless guidance has been taken from the BSS Office.

Regards

Rob

Rob says it all, or nearly it all. As an examiner I would call the BSS Office. As your water heater is not plumbed in to either LPG or water or no flue facility, and, especially if you have operating gas system already installed, (cooker for instance), it may be clear to the examiner that it is as you say, waiting to be installed. I can not think of a better place to store such an appliance than on the bulkhead where it is to be fitted rather than lying around taking up precious space. When I call them I would expect It most likely that the BSS office would tell me that it was OK and to make notes and possibly photographs for my records. CYA!

Rob says it all, or nearly it all. As an examiner I would call the BSS Office. As your water heater is not plumbed in to either LPG or water or no flue facility, and, especially if you have operating gas system already installed, (cooker for instance), it may be clear to the examiner that it is as you say, waiting to be installed. I can not think of a better place to store such an appliance than on the bulkhead where it is to be fitted rather than lying around taking up precious space. When I call them I would expect It most likely that the BSS office would tell me that it was OK and to make notes and possibly photographs for my records. CYA!

Alan's explanation of point ii) is very good. My colleagues Phil, Dave or Graham will need to have good understanding of the precise circumstances to discuss this with the examiner. Circumstances will vary and the corresponding answers will be tailored to the exact nature of what is presented.

Ta for the correction Alan, is it just my faulty memory or is that something which has changed ?

springy

I've been with the Scheme since 2002 and it has always been that way in my time, ITH

Regards

Rob

Snip

Referring to the validity of a certificate:

I've been with the Scheme since 2002 and it has always been that way in my time, ITH

Regards

Rob

It was supposed to be thus in the beginning. However, there were a number of Surveyors with a track record going back into the Certificate of Compliance days who thought otherwise. Given that it was their own PII on line not the BSS arranged one I can understand why this might be the case, without agreeing. The BSS management of the time eventually realised it needed to get everyone inline.

N