new canalworld logo

DeanS

Featured Posts

I noticed that the existing logo is a little blurred, so if you would like to use this one, please feel free. Might be nice...with the new server etc :)

:)

sorry Dean. It's a small improvement on the image quality - agree with you it's pants - but the blurry bits are still there, the words "Discussion Forum" aren't anti-aliased properly, the type is crashing into the curve which is fighting with the curves in the logo.

Apart from that it's great.

(and I'm not that keen on Microsoft fonts, though that is one of the better ones, have a look at Open Sans - google web fonts)

I noticed that the existing logo is a little blurred, so if you would like to use this one, please feel free. Might be nice...with the new server etc :)

:)

Nice one dean.

sorry Dean. It's a small improvement on the image quality - agree with you it's pants - but the blurry bits are still there, the words "Discussion Forum" aren't anti-aliased properly, the type is crashing into the curve which is fighting with the curves in the logo.

It improves upon the existing heading in one respect: the use of lower-case letters but of the capital W shows that Canal World is two words, not one.

What the fischbach does "anti-aliased" mean? I assume that it's a typesetters' term.

Edited by Athy

It improves upon the existing heading in one respect: the use of lower-case letters but of the capital W shows that Canal World is two words, not one.

But you, as a student of language, should realise that it's not two words, it's "canalworld" ie the name of an internet forum not "canal world" – the world of canals.

What the fischbach does "anti-aliased" mean? I assume that it's a typesetters' term.

no, it's a computer graphics term.

• Greenie 1

But you, as a student of language, should realise that it's not two words, it's "canalworld" ie the name of an internet forum not "canal world" – the world of canals.

no, it's a computer graphics term.

Thanks for the elucidation.

As a student of language, as you so kindly describe me, I would suggest that you are talking (atypically, I must stress) tosh. For a start, if "Canalworld" was intended as one word, our abbreviation for this place would be "CDF", not CWDF. Secondly, the forum is absolutely about the world of canals - what did you think it was about, the world of popes, Falklands and horrid pump-out toilets? The world of canals can also be expressed as the Canal World. There wasn't a film called Waynesworld, nor a magazine called Railwayworld.

I blame EastEnders for starting the rot, glueing together two words which should be written separately.

Mike (from the Southoxford).

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 1

This thread reminds me that we have actually, as of last week, reoriginated the logo image as a vector graphic and exported it as a non pixelated image that I was going to update as we moved server.

2_logo.jpg

Although I do like the two-tone lettering, im less drawn by the capital W, as you can see by both the original I bottled it and when for all caps...

Previous logo for ref:

1_logo.png

As soon as we move to the new software we will have one to match the slightly different colours used on the later version skin.

Daniel

This thread reminds me that we have actually, as of last week, reoriginated the logo image as a vector graphic and exported it as a non pixelated image that I was going to update as we moved server.

Daniel

Student of language I may perhaps be, but yours has got the beating of me.

(and I'm not that keen on Microsoft fonts, though that is one of the better ones, have a look at Open Sans - google web fonts)

better?

1_logo.png

Student of language I may perhaps be, but yours has got the beating of me.

If it helps, I got a D and and E in English at GCSE...

They completed the collection of one of every letter, all be it, with a focus around B rather than D end.

Daniel

better?

1_logo.png

yes, not bad, though really you should have redrawn the bridge which was one of the offenders, Still not sure about your curve, it doesn't really echo or add anything to the bridge curves, remaking the blend would be favourite, as you have it the lettering sends the bridge into the background.

I prefer it with the blend and not as the new one on flat colour.

I also would pick fault with the new one (I'm a picky sod at the best of times) but the client (Daniel) is always right.

Edited by Chris Pink

I also would pick fault with the new one (I'm a picky sod at the best of times) but the client (Daniel) is always right.

Why am I the client?

I also like the blend, but given we have never held the original for the sake of the time its going to be up there seems little point in spending the time prior to updating the software.

Daniel

To me it still looks like a sick pigeon.

When I see it I always think of the bridge at Wingrams turn. There must be hundreds of similar bridges across the system like that but that's the one I always think of.

When I see it I always think of the bridge at Wingrams turn. There must be hundreds of similar bridges across the system like that but that's the one I always think of.

Interesting choice. Not really a classic canal bridge though being 1930's concrete and wide and flat, but the curve of the bank is there as the logo.

k58u_0.jpg

Whist I can't off any graphics prowess, a new logo would be nice.

The options are endless, but if you're already doing one its fine...was only trying to help :))

1_logo.png

A bit too JD Sports for me. The first one you did is better.

Bluddy Hell MAC!@!!!!!!!!

'fora' please.

I presume this should have a 'tongue in cheek' smiley. I was only quoting the many references to 'Canal World Discussion Forums' on the site, including the 'About Us' page and indeed IIRC, the boat stickers. When did you last see 'fora' used for real? Certainly not here!