Starting Barrus Shire 45 - Pre-heat?

RichLech

Featured Posts

My recently purchased boat built in 2005 has a Yanmar Barrus Shire 0545 with the control panel shown in the attached (I hope) picture. I am trying to confirm there is a pre-heat position to use when starting from cold. When I turn the key clockwise the red light comes on. Then when I turn the key further clockwise towards (but not as far as) the start position that light goes out. I was told to hold the key in that position (with the light out) for 10 - 15 secs before turning further to the start position. This does work OK but I'm a bit surprised there is no indicator showing a pre-heat condition.

The Barrus manual does not even mention pre-heating.

Can anyone help confirm/clarify cold starting procedure please?

th_000_0189.jpg

MY engine is barrus 40 or 45 and the key is turned fully to turn over position till engine starts , a buzzer sounds and i have to press a centre stud on the gearlever to rev engine for a moment and the buzzer will then stop , the engine is then ready , i leave for 5 mins before putting in gear to move off.

no pre heating on mine.

edit to add-

the buzzer begins to sound when the key is turned only part of the way and the little red light will be on until key is engaged fully to turn engine.

Edited by gaggle

no pre heating on mine.

edit to add-

the buzzer begins to sound when the key is turned only part of the way and the little red light will be on until key is engaged fully to turn engine.

Nor for my 1999 Shire 2000.

If it starts OK, don't worry about the warning light going out.

Added:

I would have thought that if it had a pre-heat function, your instrument panel would have a yellow warning light with a heating symbol on it.

Edited by Spuds

My recently purchased boat built in 2005 has a Yanmar Barrus Shire 0545 with the control panel shown in the attached (I hope) picture. I am trying to confirm there is a pre-heat position to use when starting from cold. When I turn the key clockwise the red light comes on. Then when I turn the key further clockwise towards (but not as far as) the start position that light goes out. I was told to hold the key in that position (with the light out) for 10 - 15 secs before turning further to the start position. This does work OK but I'm a bit surprised there is no indicator showing a pre-heat condition.

I was under the impression that some Shires are direct injected or simply do not need pre-heat.

The buzzer someone mentioned is simply a warning that the alternator is not producing any output. It may also buzz on overheat or loss of oil pressure.

MY engine is barrus 40 or 45 and the key is turned fully to turn over position till engine starts , a buzzer sounds and i have to press a centre stud on the gearlever to rev engine for a moment and the buzzer will then stop , the engine is then ready , i leave for 5 mins before putting in gear to move off.

no pre heating on mine.

edit to add-

same for me.

I was under the impression that some Shires are direct injected or simply do not need pre-heat.

The buzzer someone mentioned is simply a warning that the alternator is not producing any output. It may also buzz on overheat or loss of oil pressure.

this is correct.

i know little to nothing about engines but on cold days when you start the barruss shire it will not be at a tickover but more of a high rev for about 5 to 7 minutes and then the revs drop down to tickover when it heats up.probably not explaining that very well but there ya go!

This type of engine has NO pre heats. On mine there is a facility to "warm " the engine by starting the heater (Espasher ?) and the hot water circulates around the engine thus "warming" it. Sorry for the crap spelling but I am on the move and trying to type at the same time. If you want a more indepth explanation leave a note and I will add more when I stop later.

th_000_0189.jpg

Harmony's pretty much covered it for your particular engine. However, in general: The easy way to be sure would be to look at an accurate voltmeter while the heater glow plugs (if any are there) are suspected to be on. These things draw a significant current, so a voltage drop should be detectable. The sure way to know would be to look at the engine and observe, or otherwise, the glow plugs and its wiring.

Harmony's pretty much covered it for your particular engine. However, in general: The easy way to be sure would be to look at an accurate voltmeter while the heater glow plugs (if any are there) are suspected to be on. These things draw a significant current, so a voltage drop should be detectable. The sure way to know would be to look at the engine and observe, or otherwise, the glow plugs and its wiring.

My Barrus 40 hp is direct injection and has no glow plugs (heaters). You can start up immediately and it always does.

Paul

Many thanks for all the useful information. I conclude that mine does not have any gloplugs. I couldn't see anything that looked like them when I had a look at the engine. I don't hear a buzzer either - I'll look into that.

Anyone know where the buzzer is likely to be?

Interesting comment from Harmony about using the Eberspacher to heat the engine. I can turn mine on for hot water and heating. It is also turned on by a frost stat. It hadn't occurred to me that this probably heats the engine as well.

Many thanks for all the useful information. I conclude that mine does not have any gloplugs. I couldn't see anything that looked like them when I had a look at the engine. I don't hear a buzzer either - I'll look into that.

Anyone know where the buzzer is likely to be?

Interesting comment from Harmony about using the Eberspacher to heat the engine. I can turn mine on for hot water and heating. It is also turned on by a frost stat. It hadn't occurred to me that this probably heats the engine as well.

in the control panel.