Problem toilet

Dick

Featured Posts

I'm new to the forum and looking for help. My son lives on a Springer narrowboat on the Shannon. The toilet needs replacing and it's an unfamiliar type --- there is a foot lever on the right hand side that activates the flush and opens a shutter that drops the contents vertically down into the holding tank. I can't source a replacement. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

I'm new to the forum and looking for help. My son lives on a Springer narrowboat on the Shannon. The toilet needs replacing and it's an unfamiliar type --- there is a foot lever on the right hand side that activates the flush and opens a shutter that drops the contents vertically down into the holding tank. I can't source a replacement. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Welcome -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealand-Mansfield-Traveler-toilet-model-511-TRA511-/181078334250?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item2a291c1b2a

Mansfield Traveller by the sounds of things, or summit similar.

Spot on I'd say

I have just sold my old one on eBay for a fiver!!.....if the person who brought it doesn't get in touch soon it may well be available again!

All parts are available from places like lee sanitation....depending on what's needed tho it may be cheaper to buy a complete new unit

Cheers

Gareth

The traveller normally has the lever on the left hand side, so this must be a different bog altogether, or a very special custom version of the traveller made for a boater with only one leg.

Seriously, if its a traveller then spare parts re readily available

..........Dave

I would highly recommend replacing the toilet with a Thetford cassette type toilet. We have one ourselves after doing away with the pump out toilet that was fitted when we bought the boat. The pump out toilet used to be a pain because we had to make sure we could take the boat to pump out facilities and pay to have it emptied. With the Thetford we just take the cassette to the nearest elsan disposal for free and without having to move the boat. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. Yes, lever is on the right when you're sitting on it and the left when you're standing in front of it. I've forwarded the info to my chandler, who's a good guy. Dick.

Thanks for the help. Yes, lever is on the right when you're sitting on it and the left when you're standing in front of it. I've forwarded the info to my chandler, who's a good guy. Dick.

And I doubt its the actual lever that has broken. More likley a sort of cylindrical gearbox thing that connect the lever to the flap. When it breaks the cam (actually a a bent metal strip) falls away from the water valve so it cannot be pushed open.

I would highly recommend replacing the toilet with a Thetford cassette type toilet. We have one ourselves after doing away with the pump out toilet that was fitted when we bought the boat. The pump out toilet used to be a pain because we had to make sure we could take the boat to pump out facilities and pay to have it emptied. With the Thetford we just take the cassette to the nearest elsan disposal for free and without having to move the boat. Hope this helps.

Which is great if you have one nearby... And are He-man... And don't mind getting up close and personal with the slops... And don't mind that half the time other people have slopped theirs all over the disposal point...

Not wanting to perpetuate the argument, but...

Keep the pump out! They're much better than cassette!

:ninja:

Scarpers into the distance

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Which is great if you have one nearby... And are He-man... And don't mind getting up close and personal with the slops... And don't mind that half the time other people have slopped theirs all over the disposal point...

Not wanting to perpetuate the argument, but...

Keep the pump out! They're much better than cassette!

:ninja:

Scarpers into the distance

What she said! :D

Being serious for a sec. it is as ever each to their own.

However I too would be tempted to keep the PO if it is indeed a simple Mansfield Traveller as I suspect that swapping to a cassette and removing the tank will be a bigger job than just removing the tank and loo on our PO.

The tank on ours was remote sat under the bed and wasn't fixed or fastened as such and the loo was a macerator and was an easy prospect to remove really.

I would reckon a lot more work would be involved in removing a MT tank and make good the rest of the loo compartment/floor area.

So as they say KISS.

Edited by The Dog House