River Thames - deep draught boating

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Anyone got any experience of deep draught boating on the river Thames

....... oh....... and when I say deep, it's not the 3' that Ocelot draws, it's 5' 6" that a potential new purchase would draw.

The EA say 5' 6" up the river as far as Winsdor

I know that getting anywhere near the side would be a problem but I'm used to that.

The thought process would be weekends on the river, any longer - out on to the lumpy water.

Also there's the problem of a deep draught mooring. Not being along side wouldn't be an issue. A set of off the bank dolphins would be fine

?

Anyone got any experience of deep draught boating on the river Thames

....... oh....... and when I say deep, it's not the 3' that Ocelot draws, it's 5' 6" that a potential new purchase would draw.

The EA say 5' 6" up the river as far as Winsdor

I know that getting anywhere near the side would be a problem but I'm used to that.

The thought process would be weekends on the river, any longer - out on to the lumpy water.

Also there's the problem of a deep draught mooring. Not being along side wouldn't be an issue. A set of off the bank dolphins would be fine

?

Crikey doooooooood are ya getting a proper boat shaped boat? yippeee bin the sewer tube and forget the Thames. No problem with that draught oop ere ont Trent yall get down to Nottingham and we can av some beers :cheers:

Tim

Crikey doooooooood are ya getting a proper boat shaped boat? yippeee bin the sewer tube and forget the Thames. No problem with that draught oop ere ont Trent yall get down to Nottingham and we can av some beers :cheers:

Tim

It more part of the longer term plan to head for lumpy water and warmer shores

Weatherhead Ketch

I wonder if they said Windsor because the bridge there is only about 13ft air draft. I think the Thames is WAY deeper than 5' 6" up to well past Reading.

My mate has a similar-looking boat but only 36ft and that was tight under Windsor bridge, especially if the river was running a bit fast...

MtB

Now that's a proper little ship. :)

When it comes to getting close to the bank, remember that she's got a round bilge and probably at least a shallow keel, so she'll only draw 5'6" along her centreline. If all else fails, she does come with a tender. :)

Of course, I notice that the date on some of the external pictures ranges from 2006 to 2010, and there aren't any pictures of her out of the water at all. If her last survey was 2006, then most insurers would probably want a new one, particularly if she's going any distance offshore, and of course a pre-purchase survey would always be recommended.

Don't worry, with a boat of this age/construction it's going to have a thorough pre purchase survey..... and with a surveyor that understands wooden boats.

Even if it’s not with this boat, I’m looking at the practicalities of mooring such a vessel on the non tidal river.

I’ve owner lumpy water boats before, but the main downside is access to the sea at reasonable times. Deep water/marina moorings are very expensive, especially with a boat that exceeds 40’. Reasonable cost moorings (drying or semi drying) only give you access 3’ish hours around high water.

So for weekends out boating, you’ve got to get the weather right and tide times to give access at reasonable times of the day.

Hence my plan…... Moor on the river, most weekend boating is on the river… when you have a few extra days off, if the forecast is good, head out to the estuary, raise the masts and go for a motor/sail

Not getting right to the bank for mooring on the river isn’t an issue. It has plenty of anchors and as you say, a dinghy.

Depth over the lock cills isn't an issue until you get way way upstream. I do need to look at air draught for the bridges though

Looks very nice.

Loo looks as though straight out to sea, not sure of Thames regulations on that, they can usually be diverted to a holding tank for river use or sealed and use a cassette loo.

Are the masts in tabernacles? if not you will probably need a crane to step them not a job for a trip of a few days below tower bridge.

All the best

Looks very nice.

Loo looks as though straight out to sea, not sure of Thames regulations on that, they can usually be diverted to a holding tank for river use or sealed and use a cassette loo.

Are the masts in tabernacles? if not you will probably need a crane to step them not a job for a trip of a few days below tower bridge.

All the best

Long term I'd look a fitting a small holding tank for Thames use. Many harour authorities require this now as well.

The masts have tabernacles, cradles and a purpose fitted winch for mast raising/lowering. It was one of the things that led me toward thinking about a river mooring as you wouldn't have the cost of mast stepping

For getting an idea of the depth problem and kinda places you can moor a good plan is to join Yachting and Boating World Forums, Thames forum and ask on there. There are some boaters on there with meaty craft, many would show special interest in your proposed wooden craft.

For getting an idea of the depth problem and kinda places you can moor a good plan is to join Yachting and Boating World Forums, Thames forum and ask on there. There are some boaters on there with meaty craft, many would show special interest in your proposed wooden craft.

Thanks for the tip Neil

I've already posted a thread there and am waiting for a moderator to approve it

Nice boat/engine! Its mainly going to be at the sides when mooring that it'll be an issue. Our neighbour has a tug thats about 6' draft and he hasn't been up much beyond Windsor.

Finding a permanent mooring on the Thames can be tricky too, but I suspect you know that already and have a plan :)

I was brought up on the banks of the Thames at Reading. I have seen many craft of that size come up to Reading and beyond. The Enviroment Agency have tugs that must draw near that, and even their lighters when full of dredging spoil, would be also. I do think that height might be a problem and mooring, as you go further upstream. Good luck it does look a lovely vessel.

Thanks for all of the replies so far

Air draught could potentially be the biggest issue. I've asked the owner if he can confirm the air draught with the masts down and in their cradles

Windsor bridge at 13' 2" is the first 'low' bridge and then it's clear up to Reading except Cookham lock cut at 12' 6"