CC-ing on the Mon and Brec...

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

I was pondering last night whether people CC on the smaller or cut-off waterways, and how CaRT monitor or (dare i say) support that?

For example, widebeams or taller barges on a stretch of wide canal clearly can't navigate a great deal of the system as the narrows are off limit, and they may be limited by some bridge dimensions too. Are they forced by CaRT to rent a mooring because of that? Or do they have the same entitlements as other boaters? And how about a canal out on its own like the Mon and Brec. Does every boat there have to have a mooring or do people CC for 30-odd miles and back again?

I'm intrigued...

As CRT have provided this answer in respect of the River Lee.....

QUESTION: What about if you have a river licence and never leave the River Lee?

ANSWER: Providing you demonstrate that you move up and down the river within the spirit of the guidance, it’s not a problem.

..... then surely they would be struggling to suggest you can't be compliant on the Mon and Brec?

I've not looked it up, but surely it must be a greater mileage than the Lee?

There is no "distance" required for compliance with the regulations, so as long as you move evry 14 days and obey any shorter mooring restrictions you should be fine. As the boat is in for a repaint we booked a cottage in the Brecon Beacons at Easter, intend to walk / cycle the Mon & Brec, I'll check for CCers, I have a nice new camera.

Ken

Can you? The verdict I got from CRT on this was that you couldn't. Have you heard differently?

I know 3 boaters that cc the Lancaster and as a CCing licence is not canal specific I do not understand how CRT would need to give a verdict. When you apply for a CCing licence you are asked to obey the conditions and the conditions do not specify a distance

I know many more than three boaters who claim to CC on the Lancaster. The view of CRT was that this was not complying with the their licence conditions. I will get an update and see if that has changed for some reason.

You do as you wish how CRT might wish to interpret the conditions. There is no good reason why you can not cc the Lancaster and as I said on my other post CCing licence is not canal specific

Thanks for the permission. At the end of the day it's not up to you or I to decide what is compliance but CRT. If CRT tell me I won't be complying with CC licence conditions if exclusively cruising a forty mile section of waterway then I will accept that. If they say I will be then I will happily accept that too.

Thanks for the permission. At the end of the day it's not up to you or I to decide what is compliance but CRT. If CRT tell me I won't be complying with CC licence conditions if exclusively cruising a forty mile section of waterway then I will accept that. If they say I will be then I will happily accept that too.

Providing you move up and down the canal within the spirit of the licence you can.There yer go!

Fine shame CRT themselves at meetings have admitted they do are themselves not sure how to interpret the rules so can think of no better place to go for advice.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Whatever people's own interpretation of the rules, if I were planning on ccing on a particular restricted stretch I would seek approval of the area enforcement team before chancing it. Others will disagree but that is what I personally would do.

Whatever people's own interpretation of the rules, if I were planning on ccing on a particular restricted stretch I would seek approval of the area enforcement team before chancing it. Others will disagree but that is what I personally would do.

If CRT grant a CC licence for the Mon & Brec, I cannot see how they could claim you're not moving far enough to comply. It is only around 30 miles from end to end and completely separated from the rest of the canal system. You have no choice to go further. If they do not approve it for CC, why would they issue a licence in the first place?

As far as I am aware there is a local rule which says that all boats must have a mooring, not that it stops a few (hard up?) people from trying it.

Dear Roger and Margaret,I am thinking of sending a pound coin to all the "hard up" boaters to help them in their financial struggle and get up the nose of their wealthy fellow boaters. :banghead:

• Greenie 1

If CRT grant a CC licence for the Mon & Brec, I cannot see how they could claim you're not moving far enough to comply. It is only around 30 miles from end to end and completely separated from the rest of the canal system. You have no choice to go further. If they do not approve it for CC, why would they issue a licence in the first place?

As has been said, a CC licence is not canal specific.

Edited by rgreg

As far as the Bridgewater is concerned there is no cc,ing as you have to have a home mooring before you can obtain a licence. This does not mean that some people choose not to go back to their home mooring very often prefering to stay at the more popular spots.

Edited by Brin Morris

We CC'd on the Lancaster for nearly a year. We contacted BW when I needed an operation which necessitated us overstaying on a mooring and they made it clear they were aware of us, but didn't express any concerns.

As it turned out the canal froze so we couldn't move anyway :)

I think you'd have to for somewhere like the Mon and Brec. For a start you'd have to arrange to get your boat craned in from somewhere so it'd be a lot of effort to go to and money to spend, if you were to then find out you're not allowed to CC - if there were no mooring available, what could CaRT or the boat owner do?

Something else this has made me think of is that isolated canal like the Mon and Brec would be at risk of massive overcrowding if CaRT didn't have different sorts of restrictions in place for boaters there. Unless its isolation means its never been popular enough for that to be a potential problem.

I think you'd have to for somewhere like the Mon and Brec. For a start you'd have to arrange to get your boat craned in from somewhere so it'd be a lot of effort to go to and money to spend, if you were to then find out you're not allowed to CC - if there were no mooring available, what could CaRT or the boat owner do?

Something else this has made me think of is that isolated canal like the Mon and Brec would be at risk of massive overcrowding if CaRT didn't have different sorts of restrictions in place for boaters there. Unless its isolation means its never been popular enough for that to be a potential problem.

Or you could wait until it's re-connected to the system via the Usk and the Severn.

We're hoping to get Freyja & Christina there one day.

I was told, some time ago, that boats are limited to either 53 or 58 foot length, due to some tight bends

Edited by Chop!