BCN Water Conservation Key

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

We plan to come up the Wolverhampton 21 and onto the BCN in March. Nicholsons says that a BCN water conservation key will be required. Presumably this is not just a standard handcuff key? Where can we get one of these? We will be coming down the T & M and onto the S & W so presumably boatyards in the area will be able to sell us one?

It is a standard handcuff key....does slow things up a bit but not as bad as some flights...might be best to make sure you have a spare in case you drop one in!......

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks. We've got at least two of them on board.

I wonder why Nicholsons have to complicate matters by calling it a BCN water conservation key instead of a handcuff key.

I wonder why Nicholsons have to complicate matters by calling it a BCN water conservation key instead of a handcuff key.

Because that is what they are officially called these days. It was only when the Ashton Canal was restored that they spread off the L&L, due to the Ashton being managed out of the Wigan office. As they were no long handcuff locks, they changed name. They have now spread right round the system. At one point it was common to discover that on a midland waterway features they were locked with Bog keys, but that has changed due to the expense of a yale lock compared with a bit of 1/4" bar and a bit of hollow rod, which is a good thing in my book.

--

cheers Ian Mac

It is a standard handcuff key....does slow things up a bit but not as bad as some flights...might be best to make sure you have a spare in case you drop one in!......

Having done the Ashton with only one key, I can tell you that it concentrates the mind wonderfully!

Thanks. We've got at least two of them on board.

"Handcuff key" is an unfortunate name. I keep ours in a bracket in the engine room.

We had just finished mooring up in Central Brum last year, when I called to SWMBO "Have you still got the handcuff key, dear?".

The knowing grins on the faces of the assembled gongoozlers on the bridge reminded me (just too late) that "50 Shades of Grey" was all the rage at the time....