The "slow down" shouters

charles123

Featured Posts

Leaving bealepark i had an odd experence.

We were just heading up the oxford canal. As wel where leaving what must have beeing about the thrid lock a boat was waiting below us, and the OCM was walking around with a windlass till we left. (nothing that odd, although she could have offered to help, as it was clear i was working the lock alone, with my grandad on the boat)

But anyway, we got to the next lock, and a boat was just entering on the way down, so helped them with that, mean while the boat behind us arrived and moored behind us

- Then with the lock was emptying, i went back to the boat to cheack on the fire etc and get ready to drive in.

Anyway, the OMC hailed over to me "is the lock empty" to which i replayed "theres a boat coming down"

- She then said "yes, but is it empty" i said "well, its proberly close by now"

- She then said "can we go in next then" so i said "well, its us next, but yes, will be in as soon as they come out"

- To which she then seam quite put out, and said "oh, well i though i would make sence for us to go first, as your too slow"

I didnt really know what to say to that lot.

- I tryed to explan that all though our boat is a little slower though the water, espcailly on a smallish canal, we're just as quick though the locks (if not quicker) and that actally we had somewhere to get to as well!

- She really didnt seam happy with this, and seamed to think i was beeing out of order and pushy or something? Very odd.

Overever, as we where leaving, her and her (prersumably) husband came to turn the lock and where then very frendly!

- We also caught them just as they where leaving the lock after (having politly, but delibertly, burnt past us between locks) and again they where all smiles.

People are odd!

Daniel

People are odd!

Daniel

Never a truer word Daniel.

Just returned from another trip to Boston. Up to now I've slowed for fishermen (when I've seen them) however after a couple of trips up the trent, where no one slows down, I don't bother. Got shouted to slow before.....now get a wave and smile :blush:

Obviously not from a fishing match, which I will slow for but ???????

I pointed out that yes, this is a navigation, the clue is in the name.

There does seem to be a fundamental lack of understanding that the canals are there primarily for boats, not anglers, and if it wasn't for boaters' licence fees they probably wouldn't have a cut to fish in.

Anyone know how much of the standard Environment Agency rod licence gets back to BW?

There does seem to be a fundamental lack of understanding that the canals are there primarily for boats, not anglers, and if it wasn't for boaters' licence fees they probably wouldn't have a cut to fish in.

Anyone know how much of the standard Environment Agency rod licence gets back to BW?

Quite Ade.

And they are filthy pigs as well. I go jogging in a local park near where I live alongside the Grand Union Paddington Arm which a lot of anglers use. After they've gone for the day, the area is full of their foul litter, mainly supermarket bags, bottles, cans etc. which they leave behind, not having the common decency to clear up after themselves.

It's quite amazing that these characters have the gall to criticise boaters when they pay nothing to use the canal and boaters pay substantial licence fees. Rod licence? What rod licence?

regards

Steve

Quite Ade.

And they are filthy pigs as well. I go jogging in a local park near where I live alongside the Grand Union Paddington Arm which a lot of anglers use. After they've gone for the day, the area is full of their foul litter, mainly supermarket bags, bottles, cans etc. which they leave behind, not having the common decency to clear up after themselves.

It's quite amazing that these characters have the gall to criticise boaters when they pay nothing to use the canal and boaters pay substantial licence fees. Rod licence? What rod licence?

regards

Steve

I’ve always tried to be considerate with anglers and I sometimes get a nod of thanks for slowing as I pass, but last week I upset one who was fishing on an offside swing bridge mooring. He aggressively insisted that I use the towpath mooring like other boats. I tried to explain that I couldn’t as I was single-handed, to which he replied that I am not allowed to operate a bridge on my own! With a lot of cursing, he reluctantly hauled in his keepnet before I mangled it.

Noah

I’ve always tried to be considerate with anglers and I sometimes get a nod of thanks for slowing as I pass, but last week I upset one who was fishing on an offside swing bridge mooring. He aggressively insisted that I use the towpath mooring like other boats. I tried to explain that I couldn’t as I was single-handed, to which he replied that I am not allowed to operate a bridge on my own! With a lot of cursing, he reluctantly hauled in his keepnet before I mangled it.

Noah

As the old saying goes - "Give a man a fish and you can feed him for a day, give a man a fishing rod and you can make him miserable for the rest of his life"

Quite Ade.

regards

Steve

Please don't generalise about anglers in this way. Whilst I agree that SOME are "filthy pigs" etc, they are not all by any means. Yes I have had rows with anglers, but they have been few over the last 40 years. Is it fishermen who leave gallon cans of waste engine oil outside the Anchor on the Shroppie I wonder?

I've never quite worked this out: Is it that miserable people go fishing, or is it the fishing that makes them miserable?

I saw a fisherman yesterday. He was listening to his Ipod or whatever on these bloody great big headphones. A lot of them do nowadays. Are they really that bored with fishing?

Please don't generalise about anglers in this way. Whilst I agree that SOME are "filthy pigs" etc, they are not all by any means. Yes I have had rows with anglers, but they have been few over the last 40 years. Is it fishermen who leave gallon cans of waste engine oil outside the Anchor on the Shroppie I wonder?

Its both sides that have these gremlins who leave these copious amounts of rubbish, waste engine oil, dead batteries, and whatever! Simply too lazy to take their rubbish to proper disposal facilities.

I saw a fisherman yesterday. He was listening to his Ipod or whatever on these bloody great big headphones. A lot of them do nowadays. Are they really that bored with fishing?

Its both sides that have these gremlins who leave these copious amounts of rubbish, waste engine oil, dead batteries, and whatever! Simply too lazy to take their rubbish to proper disposal facilities.

Correct. Some boaters are an absolute bloody disgrace.

We have had the iron age, stone age etc. Will we be remembered as the litter age?

Only people I know come out the Anchor and leave that stuff, is those that cant drink it :blush: Light weights :blush:

(Sorry being flipant)

The absolute worst poluter around that area is Norbury juction "services" There is a permanent film of deisel, oil on the canal in the last year or so drifting by my boat (Towards The Anchor). Never used to be there, not until the latest owners have taken over. Coincidence maybe?

I've never quite worked this out: Is it that miserable people go fishing, or is it the fishing that makes them miserable?

I've met a good many miserable boaters on my travels too. :blush:

I think its us boaters that make fishermen miserable.......I remember once leaving Newbury for Reading one morning about 4.00 AM I was lock wheeling and started setting a lock ahead in readiness for the boat when an angler asked what I was doing. "I'm setting it for a boat" said I.........It made his day I can tell you. :blush:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Hello catweasel

I quite agree that not all anglers are disgraceful litter vandals. But enough are to spoil the canalside round my way. And I doubt that it's only GUPA anglers, where I live, that exhibit this tendency.

The stereotype does not need 100% penetration to be true. Once enough of a group fit the picture then the group's fate is sealed. Thus it is quite correct to state that anglers are litterers if a suitably sized proportion of them can be so identified. The fact that some are not is insufficient to dispel the general observation.

- Comments removed as they were totally irrelevant to the topic in question and certainly can not be substantiated. This forum is for ALL users of the waterways and I find your comments to be derogatory and unnecessary - Jon

Interestingly these attributes fit only the canal angler. You don't find the same sleaze on rivers to that extent and most certainly not amongst say fly fishers.

regards

Steve

Edited by Jon